• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

dizzy":16e7ngan said:
Matthew,
I find it interesting that Race has never turned a profit on livestock. If the animal rights people ever learn the truth about how much blood is on the hands of this dropshipping scheme the industry will be indefensible.

Mitch,

Isn't that true of the industry as a whole? The amount of 'blood' at all levels of the industry is pretty fantastic.

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Race":2ypit0s0 said:
HI Mitch,
Please do not assume that all of the fish that I get my hands on are dropshipped. I am not sure that you know if I am selling you fish or not. The beauty of being privately held.

My oh my. Race it sounds like you just gave us the big news. You bought out one of the wholesalers. Do you mind letting us know which one or do we need to do some sleuthing? BTW rumor has it that Sunpet might be the one doing the dropshipping for Petco. Or should I say Meriwether Venture Capital group?
Mitch

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Race":1mwdcbyv said:
Hi Jenn,
My sales have no impact on the reefs. Remember that I do not create business, I only take it from retailers. The reef pressure remains a constant. Right?

Even if you don't create hobbyists, as such, you do add pressure to the reefs - we all do, that's a fact I've never denied. I just don't see how you can profess to be the saviour of the hobby and the industry, and at the same time, make it no big deal to replace creatures for free in spite of hobbyist negligence or a rough ride in the delivery truck.

You missed your calling, Race - you should have been an attorney.

All hail the great Panjandrum of the marine ornamentals industry.

Jenn

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":39l8igkk said:
dizzy":39l8igkk said:
Matthew,
I find it interesting that Race has never turned a profit on livestock. If the animal rights people ever learn the truth about how much blood is on the hands of this dropshipping scheme the industry will be indefensible.

Mitch,

Isn't that true of the industry as a whole? The amount of 'blood' at all levels of the industry is pretty fantastic.

Richard I don't know about the industry as a whole. All I know about is what we have. It certainly doesn't compare to the carnage Race has on his hands in volume or percentage if he is being honest about the profitability. We actually make our living without being responsible for a high volume of livestock being pulled from the reefs. It's the beauty of being a full line store.
Mitch

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I think the amount of 'blood' on the hands of the industry as a whole is already pretty indefensible as it is, and I think anyone who is part of it is responsible (note - responsible does not equal bad).

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Mitch - to add to that - I'm not a full line store, I'm aquatics only. Mortalities at the store and hobbyist level are kept to a minimum by good husbandry here, careful choice of suppliers, and by educating hobbyists so once they take something home, it's expected to live, instead of having to be "replaced" every few weeks (and unfortunately I know of some people who just expect to have to replace stuff every month or two...).

Yes we all have an impact, but our choices as customers to wholesalers and as retailers to customers, can have a huge effect on the mortality issue.

When I first opened up shop, I used the same supplier(s) that my previous employer did and I counted on a certain percentage of mortality, and that was often exceeded. After a few months, I tried different sources, asked some questions, and found better suppliers, mortality has dropped to numbers barely worthy of mention. Where I used to argue over DOA credits, I rarely have a DOA to report anymore. Since I hold the fish here for several days to rest and eat before they go on to the hobbyist, the hobbyist has less to be concerned with too. Then there's no issue with "free replacements" because the ones going out the door will be fine, because I've already tested the buyer's water and if he/she needed any help with that, that happens before a creature is sold.

If Race is happy to keep on "losing money" then more power to him I suppose... I just think that the self-serving way he comes across to people may undermine him more than he realizes. When my tech read the posts this morning - well I can't repeat what she said, lest I be "edited" too ;)

Jenn

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JennM":t40bfro3 said:
.. I just think that the self-serving way he comes across to people may undermine him more than he realizes.

I think the same can be said of lots of people. :D

Race

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jenn,

I would like it if I could be Attorney General. All of the other lawyers are really just in 2nd place. And the way I see it, if you're in 2nd place, you are really just the 1st loser.

Race

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I think that my participation in this thread has reached its useful limits. I thank the moderators and administrators for allowing a civil discussion to take place. I have given everyone involved enough to think about and therefore will no longer post concerning this thread. I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. Now you know what you're up against and I might suggest you factor me into your business plan. I will continue to change the industry and relegate AMDA to antiquity.

Race

rudylbj

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post edited for violating the User Agreement Addendum; The Industry Behind the Hobby Forum. Futher violations may result in the revocation of posting privileges - Thales

You very well might be all you claim, but at this point you come on here from time to time to rub everyone's nose in it. You may snow some of the hobbyists, but you sir are in no way in the league of most of the good folks that frequent this forum that are hard working folks with the hobbyists in mind everyday and they work and toil hard to make a very modest living and don't need or appreciate your approach.

Tropic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would like to thank the mods, great job guys. Let a banned person come on, stir everything up with his comments, and silence the rest. I see your point, our comments are to personal and might "offend" someone, while his comments are eloquent, and very respectful. :P

BTW Rudy,
:welcome:

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that we've got all that out of our systems... I'm still waiting for an email back from TFO, and still eager to hear what Eric has to say. He left me wanting more answers...

Eric said:
All their fish are "housed"......quarantined, medicated, fed etc......so they really said the truth. I know what Jen meant, but they are a local Los Angeles company that pick their own fish very often....so you could say that all their livestock is housed vs. transhipped.

Ah but that was not my question. My question was:
Hello,

I was wondering if you house your own specimens, or like Liveaquaria, do you have orders drop-shipped?

Thanks!

Jennifer

The key question is whether they house THEIR OWN SPECIMENS. Pretty simple question - do they keep their livestock for sale in their own facility, or do they have it drop-shipped from somebody else's. It's pretty hard to misconstrue that part of the question.

And if they know anything about others' practices in the industry, they also know what I meant in asking the question. For all they knew I was a potential customer, and I simply wanted to know if "my order" would have come from them directly, or someplace else. If they do indeed buy and tank all their stuff at their facility, then it would be an easy question to answer with the whole truth, to give a potential buyer confidence.

I did not identify myself as a potential buyer, so I did not misrepresent myself - I simply contacted them at the link provided and asked a question. Had they asked why I wanted to know - I'd have told them. My response to their statement back to me informed them about why I was asking - so if they choose to answer, we'll know, and if they don't, we'll know there's something to hide, right?

Of course they are housed, someplace, by someone - in this case SDC, per Eric's own statements.

Now by Eric's further statement, he's saying that they "come in and pick their own fish very often" so that could mean that they're picking the fish to return to their facility with, and ship out from there, or they could be picking out the fish that SDC will drop-ship for them. I suppose if they're picking their own orders, that saves a bit of manpower on SDC's part doesn't it? See, not answering a question fully leaves little minds like mine to wander around and ponder all the possibilities. I'm not alone either in my musings - you should read some of the PMs I've had :)

To clear the air would put the kibosh on further speculations, public and private, and leave people knowing where they stand, with knowledge to make the choices they can live with about how they react to it. To keep sidestepping the issue just makes people more wary. Nobody can compel you to answer these questions, but whether you do or don't, can speak for itself too.

Remember I didn't open that can of worms - I'm just fishing with the worms that fell out of the can ;)

I didn't ask if they transshipped, nor have I ever accused any etailer of transshipping - so Eric brought that part of it into the discussion, not I, but read into it whatever you will and fire away.

It took 5 days to get a reply to my first inquiry to TFO, I wonder if/when they will address my second query? Glad I wasn't emailing about an order or whatnot...

Somebody else brought up a good point - albeit facaetiously (and by PM to me). They told me they should order from TFO for their LFS business - free shipping over $200, door to door and a 7 day guarantee. No more DOA/DAA to eat, no more airport runs... LOL! Pay a bit more for the specimens, but if you weighed the costs of DOA/DAA, air freight and fuel and time back and forth to the airport - heck that might be a good deal!! :lol:

Jenn :D

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic":3bsrqdu8 said:
I too would like to thank the mods, great job guys. Let a banned person come on, stir everything up with his comments, and silence the rest. I see your point, our comments are to personal and might "offend" someone, while his comments are eloquent, and very respectful. :P

BTW Rudy,
:welcome:

He wasn't banned - he was asked not to post in this forum anymore, and that was a year ago. In fact a year to the day when he resurfaced.

His old user ID was aquaticvet1 - do a little search you'll find some interesting reading there.

Jenn

Tropic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i followed the thread that aquaticvet went nutz.

I think your questions about SDC have been answered.

If SDC is stuffing flyers in boxes that means they are shipping stock on behalf of another company. Its pretty clear.

nanocat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it, that figures :evil:

I go get some popcorn, ready to settle in for the drama and now it's all over :roll:

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear what you're saying, Tropic - but I would still like to hear it straight from the source. See, we all get into trouble for making assumptions, right? If Eric would clear the air it would quash any misinformation that people may be spreading, or just thinking. My examples of my own pondering can't be unique, in fact I know they aren't because others have discussed their thoughts too. There are varying opinions about what the "truth" is.

I wouldn't want bad info going around - so a few simple, honest answers would clear up the whole thing.

Jenn

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nanocat":3er5gizz said:
Darn it, that figures :evil:

I go get some popcorn, ready to settle in for the drama and now it's all over :roll:

Oh I'm sure he'll be back. His first post this morning said he'd be off to work and see us in a few days, but he posted 5 more times after that :)

Jenn

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic":1qwwgirm said:

He wasn't banned.
People who do get banned, temporary or permeant, are often given second and third chances by RDO.
No one has been silenced. Parts of posts that violate the UA or UAA have been removed while the meat of the posts has not been removed. If you, or anyone else, feels that calling another person an explicative, as you did, is critical to the point you are trying to make, you might want to find a BB that welcomes such behavior.

sdcfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jenn,

First of all....I have never denied drop-shipping for retailers or etailers....please see my posts. It's like you are trying to make me look like I was lying...which I never have. There is a fine line between participating on this forum, pushing your company for it's own agenda, or revealing company policies....just like I try not to advertise SDC, I really come here to participate and learn.

I can tell you that Tropical Fish Outlet is not the only Etailer we sell to....and we are likely not the only company they buy from. That would be the same for many other main-stream etailers.

Here we are in Los Angeles, with the largest variety of marine animals and what I would consider and hear the best quality.....so we have many customers that buy from us daily/weekly. Anyone in the business is free to come and see what we are doing. There are no secrets as we have no shame in what we do...actually the opposite.

I can't answer the question for TFO...they can speak their own minds and I honestly don't think it matters where they get their fish as long as the quality is acheived and they do good honest business.

I have already mentioned we sell to TFO...but I never said we are the only ones....because I would never know that intimate information. I can just say that the fish we sell, have all been quarantined, medicated, fed and screened before shipping. It's the same process for every live fish we deal with.

Tropic has mentioned we stuff "flyers" into our boxes....but that's not true! We add an acclimation sheet into the boxes for any company we ship for. Could be a retailer, etailer, local customer whatever. We don't promote or solicit other customers customers....One time there were three orders that accidentally had acclimation sheets that were no ours placed into our customers boxes. Period.

I am not sure what all the fasination is here.....but it's all right here for anyone to see. All you have to do is come to LAX 104th Street and see what's going on. We sell to industry business's only. We do not allow "cherry pickers" or "jobbers" to buy from us. The reason is so we can give our cusotmers the best product available, and we "Spread the love" to everyone to be as fair as possible. Nobody get's more of their share of the best "cherry" products and our sales team work together to make sure that happens.

If you want to compare the fish process from supplier to supplier...you can clearly see what our procedures are, how the fish are being fed and handled, and just continue down the street to see how others deal with their livestock.....some are kinda similar, some are miles away. We just do what we have found to be the best method and the most responsible. After all....dollars are dollars, and the economical factor is a major role in constantly improving our quality.

Yikes...post too long.....happy to answer specific questions that are not too personal or not within my rights to answer.

Best regards....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: