• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquatic Life Direct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I, too, noticed the one vendor helping too many people at once. You'd pick something out, he'd set it aside and then sell it to someone else. It was chaos over there. And yes, I will say who it was: Aquatic Life Direct. I'm not going to hide behind the "one vendor did this" thing. It was them. Nice guys, but unorganized and overzealous about selling things which ultimately cost them some sales (I think, at least from me it did).

We do apologize for the mix ups. It was absolute chaos this year. I couldnt even get into my own booth and had to sneak into acan lightings booth just to get over to mine. I had a team of 5 to ensure that everyone had an equal opportunity to purchase their pieces. Never in the years we have done MR swaps has it ever gotten this crazy. We do thank you for your feedback and we will be more prepared for the next swap. If there was anything you were interested in, please do stop by our shop so we can work with you one on one. :)

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I still don't understand why it costs 25 per preson now, I think the venue needs to be changed to a more cost effective place. The NJ swap and the Deleware swap were both 10 dollars to enter and they had twice as many vendors. And if you were a couple and preordered it was 15. Thats still 10 dollars less for 2 people than one person at the manhattan swap. I think its time to look into other places besides Pratt.

manhattan real estate is usually higher than most cities besides, not all swaps includes lunch but do like to see the books :teeth:

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
We do apologize for the mix ups. It was absolute chaos this year. I couldnt even get into my own booth and had to sneak into acan lightings booth just to get over to mine. I had a team of 5 to ensure that everyone had an equal opportunity to purchase their pieces. Never in the years we have done MR swaps has it ever gotten this crazy. We do thank you for your feedback and we will be more prepared for the next swap. If there was anything you were interested in, please do stop by our shop so we can work with you one on one. :)

I completely understand. I wouldn't have paid to be in your shoes yesterday!
Honestly, you had nice stuff and I definitely will be stopping by your store in the future. I think your location at the frag swap hurt you guys a lot, tight corner over there.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
manhattan real estate is usually higher than most cities besides, not all swaps includes lunch but do like to see the books :teeth:
Yea, the only problem this was in Brooklyn not manhattan, besides that you can find cheaper places, Staten Island has some nice places for rent and most swaps are done in Fire Houses. And I don't go to swaps to eat lol. How was the food situation this time? I know the fall swap they ran out of food rather quickly.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I still don't understand why it costs 25 per preson now, I think the venue needs to be changed to a more cost effective place. The NJ swap and the Deleware swap were both 10 dollars to enter and they had twice as many vendors. And if you were a couple and preordered it was 15. Thats still 10 dollars less for 2 people than one person at the manhattan swap. I think its time to look into other places besides Pratt.

There are other costs beside renting of the room, like flying in and putting up the speakers over night, not to mention the cost of renting tables and chairs, supplies, food, drinks plus insurance. This is NYC, things do cost more here.

We go through this after every event, explaining the costs of the event. What we charge for the swap is very reasonable, none of the people working/helping get paid and what, if any, profit that is made goes back into the board. If you have a problem with the cost, then please skip the event.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
200   0   0
We go through after every event, explaining the costs of the event. What we charge for the is very reasonable, none of the people working/helping get paid and what, if any, profit that is made goes back into the board. If you have a problem with the cost, then please skip the event.

calm down...i didn't say i have a problem with the cost of admission, i did say manhattan/brooklyn rental did cost more..YES, at $25 is a fair price

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Yea, the only problem this was in Brooklyn not manhattan, besides that you can find cheaper places, Staten Island has some nice places for rent and most swaps are done in Fire Houses. And I don't go to swaps to eat lol. How was the food situation this time? I know the fall swap they ran out of food rather quickly.

The problem is you need to find a place that can hold over 300 people and have a separate room where speakers can give lectures. Also we need to have access to the place the night before, as most, not all, of us have jobs. Then take into account we need a place that has access to water, and wouldn't go crazy with water all over the floors. We also get things shipping directly to the location, like dry goods and corals, as trying to bring everything the day before is very hard.

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You can't get people to go to a member's house who is offering things for free and you thing people will want to pay to go to Staten Island? :lol2:

Josh

in the coral sea...
Vendor
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
That said, I was probably among the first 5 to every vendor table at the show... and there were at least 6 items that I can think of off the top of my head already sold that I asked about. This did grate on my nerves a bit I suppose.

Just an FYI, vendors store items in their tanks that they sold in advance on the board. So if you saw a bunch of really nice items in the back of the tanks as soon as you walked in the door, they were being held for people who paid weeks in advance.

Josh

in the coral sea...
Vendor
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Some comments from an insider:

Vendors arrive on Saturday during the day. They bring a lot of presold items and (surprise surprise) corals like to be in water, so they put the items on the back of the rack, or even on the bottom of the tank. If you asked and things were already sold, that was most likely the problem. I know for a fact that I asked a certain vendor for prices on several items in that general vicinity before anyone could have possibly snatched them up and that was the reason they were not for sale. Were these the best items in the room? Why do you think people preorder them.

It was hot, we know. At around 11:30 we adjusted the airflow in the room and it got considerably cooler after that.

If you arrived and walked right in, sorry I will have to scold my wife, mother in law, 2 baby boys, Randy's son Zander, and a couple of other volunteers. We set up the gate so people will be forced to check in at the front desk but some people just walk right in late in the day like they have been there all day and we don't stop them. We do actually trust the membership not to take advantage of this, it is not intended. If you feel like it was a waste because you walked right in, I think you don't understand why there is admission to begin with, we have expenses and you're paying to get in to a special event. If no one checked your ticket at a movie theater, and you watched a movie, did you not get your value from the price of admission?

Variety. Hmmm. Taking into account that one vendor shut down their display after losing the majority of their livestock in a disaster (and indeed their livestock did not match what anyone else had in the room), I think there was more variety of frags than ever before. I personally would have liked to have seen more colonies but that is a request for the vendors themselves. Vendors bring what they think they can sell and sometimes they bring what sold quickly at the last swap. Personally, I find it amusing that people complain about lack of variety, blame whatever God you believe in! How dare he/she/it not create more and more varieties of corals for us to collect!

One other point about that. It was probably only 3-4 years ago that there were only 2 acan frags in the entire room. People ooh'ed and ahhh'ed over them all day. Then vendors brought only acans for 2 years and no acros. This past swap had a really balanced selection of different types of corals. A lot of vendors don't bring ORA anymore because everyone else has them. How many red planets do they need to bring? There were actually a lot of ORA corals that were not marked as such (due to being grown by a farmer and not ORA), and if you knew what you were looking for you could find them. There were actually 2 pieces of NEW ORA in the room, including one piece that has yet to be named. One vendor also had 2 pieces of a species that was just selected to be an ORA coral but if you didn't ask what it was you wouldn't have known that.

Cost. We've struggled to keep the price of the event low for a while. The price of admission has stayed the same for several years now. Increasing the price to $50 would be a form of price discrimination in my opinion and if we can't keep the price reasonable for the event we have failed as organizers.

We've been looking for a new venue for a long time. Pratt is easy to work with, cheap, has a good location, and we have access to Randy's tanks which is a HUGE plus for an aquarium society. I can tell you that we have looked at other locations and the prices are prohibitively high. Essentially we would have to pay for 2 days (since we set up on Saturday), the price on places with a modest increase in space would be an additional $8-12k, no aquariums onsite, no experience working with the site, and many other unknowns. I think we are beyond the point when we can reasonably use Pratt for these sized events and promise to continue the search for a new venue.

Some other quick notes:

• Very interesting to see comments from people complaining about people breathing down their necks while they were looking at tanks and other comments from people complaining about taking too long to look at tanks.
  • In a larger space, it does not directly correlate to larger tanks. Vendors bring the same sized setups and if you had to wait to see what one vendor had for sale you would probably have to do it in a larger space as well. At MACNA there is usually a line to see several vendors.
  • Too bad for people who only stayed for an hour. If you only wanted to buy coral you sort of missed the point of the event. There were a lot of other things going on throughout the day.
  • Food is always a nightmare, and while this swap it was disorganized, there was indeed enough food for everyone.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I def think you guys should look into a new place with higher prices.

Its NYC, things are expesive but by the looks of how many guys broughts lots and cash and didnt spend they can afford higher prices.

You would have gotten my money too if u accept walk ins.

I think people are saying getting a bigger place because you such a good job packing it, there wasnt enough room.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Josh,

Let me upgrade ya!!!!!!

You guys shouldnt ever sellout of tickets. You should always book a place bigger then what you need. You never wanna turn people away.

I think its time for MR upgrade. Sure cost will be more but it will be well worth it. You guys should contact other public facilities like schools, fire houses, YMCAs, Aquariums.

Plus did you get the hint i really wanted to go !!!!

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The problem is you need to find a place that can hold over 300 people and have a separate room where speakers can give lectures. Also we need to have access to the place the night before, as most, not all, of us have jobs. Then take into account we need a place that has access to water, and wouldn't go crazy with water all over the floors. We also get things shipping directly to the location, like dry goods and corals, as trying to bring everything the day before is very hard.
I have taken all of those into consideration, Remember other swaps have tanks with water and sell corals too, I'm sure they have the same thing with insurance, set-up and everything else you have mentioned. The NJ swap had 3 guest speakers, Vargas was one of them and I Know Rich Ross was one and I forget the Womans name that was there. And to Chief yes people would pay to go to Staten Island. They pay to go to Brooklyn don't they? I mean anyone coming from NJ has to pay to go either through Manhattan or through Staten Island to get to Brooklyn. So what's the difference? That some People in NY will have to pay? Isn't the ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island still free?

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I have taken all of those into consideration, Remember other swaps have tanks with water and sell corals too, I'm sure they have the same thing with insurance, set-up and everything else you have mentioned. The NJ swap had 3 guest speakers, Vargas was one of them and I Know Rich Ross was one and I forget the Womans name that was there. And to Chief yes people would pay to go to Staten Island. They pay to go to Brooklyn don't they? I mean anyone coming from NJ has to pay to go either through Manhattan or through Staten Island to get to Brooklyn. So what's the difference? That some People in NY will have to pay? Isn't the ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island still free?

the difference is in the TROLLS, unless you have the place right by the ferry, otherwise not everyone in NYC have access to cars and transportation and i'm not sure people gonna pay $18 for trolls to cross the bridge, there is only one way troll for NJ

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Plus did you get the hint i really wanted to go !!!!

I def think you guys should look into a new place with higher prices.

You would have gotten my money too if u accept walk ins.
You want everyone to pay higher fees next swap, because you didn't want to 'risk' $25 to buy a ticket, before you were sure you could go?
From what I saw, there were people willing to buy those 'extra' tickets! Worst case...you're out $25... not even the price of 1 fish or coral!

:shhh: they accepted walk-ins !

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I know I came with some really difficult pieces to find at ridiculous prices ($100 for 4 eyes of the original tyree watermelon) as well as some really odd-ball items that were not common - purple encrusting hydno, branching cyphastrea, gold mushrooms (that's right GOLD!!!!).

Funny - the item that sold the most were lose mushrooms (standard reds, greens and blues).

I went home with 7 of the ORA corals I brought including 2 released monday purple undata's, purple nana's 2 pairs of Picasso clowns

our booth was never deep enough for anyone to have to wait from what I saw.

NOW THE HARD PART:

I have always tried to live my life by being PART of the solution instead of the one pointing out the problem. How can we make this an opportunity to make the event better as a community? and glean the recommendations necessary to satisfy the membership?

Time to start a thread!

House

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
the difference is in the TROLLS, unless you have the place right by the ferry, otherwise not everyone in NYC have access to cars and transportation and i'm not sure people gonna pay $18 for trolls to cross the bridge, there is only one way troll for NJ
They are tolls not trolls and you only pay to get into Staten island not out, and it costs 13 from Brooklyn not 18. From nj including the round trip it is 21 dollars. And stain island is a suggestion. I think it is more that people have become complacent with Pratt and refuse to accept the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: