• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Swap overall was nice. I picked up a bunch of nice stuff but mostly pre-ordered from other MR members. Got to meet a lot of people, see some new faces, good time. Saw some messed up thing by a vendor but I'll let that be. Coral wise there were some nice things here and there. Fish wise, I remember Blue Star Aqua had like 10 or more firefish in the beginning and by the end they were all sold out. Real nice fish they had.

Everybody is going to b**ch and moan about this and that. Overcrowding complaints? Look at how big MR has gotten. You can't stop people from joining the site and it was a small place to begin with compared to Manhattan Swap. When you try to fix one problem, it starts more. Like "renting out a bigger space = more money for admission" Yeah sure it was crowded and hot, I was exhausted an hour into the event. But what do you expect? A red carpet rolled out just for you to look at an entire vendor's corals?

I say that the mods did a great job of organizing an event like this. To me, its amazing how people can manage to organize a grand event like this. Sure some things could be better, but it happened no? Have you organized a swap with hundreds of people before? Maybe its just me, but people ask for too much.

Dr. Mac

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I said this to Randy personally yesterday and will say it here publically, the MR swaps are by far the best events we go to and we attend a lot of them and I am not saying that just to be nice or suck up. MR events are the best planned and executed, always tons of folks that help out with set up and tear down, the fellowship goes well beyond the swap itself and this is with MR members-vendors-and MR staff to the point we call them friends. Every MR swap is jammed and hectic and fun, hey its NYC and that is expected. I thought this swap was the best ever and that is based on my personal opinion and experience at attending about 20 swaps a year at various sites around the US. The stock I saw at all the vendors was the best selection and pricing was excellent. Most folks that attend are looking for nice average corals, some like high end corals, and a few want colonies and we try to bring a wide variety, you have to remember that not all things are available at all times. Food is always an issue at the swaps, his one was no exception, but no one I know went hungry and at one point Daisy came around and asked us if we had enough eat and did we need anything. I can go on much more, but I think that MR members are well served by Josh, Randy, Kathy, and a whole host of others that bring you these events. They all have jobs and life to deal with too and do a great job for a hobby related event that is not their main job--they are not full time trade show planners, but in my opinion do a damn good job.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Vendors should supply their own power cords and heaters as well as anything to run their booth. You guys don't provide the tanks and signs. Vendors should be responsible for the materials they need. To get more volunteers allow them to cherry pick and encourage it. This is your reward for helping out. Limit the cherry picking to one coral or up to 100 dollars. This should be able to be monitored. In a small room with limited volunteers. Im sure some of the fire houses and even some union halls in the city would allow pre night set ups and charge for one day. I know my union hall has a very large meeting room able to hold 3000 people. So I know venue sizes are available.

I don't think you get it, probably because you were never been involved in setting up or running one of these events. First, you need to supply power to each vendor, which is where the power cords come into play. You just can't supply regular power strip or extending cords, as you're working with water and a lot of electric, especially with the light, pumps and heaters. To get that many vendors you're going to have some come from far away, even fly in a number of them, so you're going to have to supply them with water, you're going to also need extra water just in case something happens or someone is short. The whole thing is a coordinated effort, and volunteers and staff help with the setup, something you can't put on vendors, nor would you want to. Have volunteers being about to cherry pick is a horrible idea and just takes away from the whole event, also volunteers should be just that. As for size, you could rent MSG if you want, but that's not the issue nor did anyone said it was.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I can go on much more, but I think that MR members are well served by Josh, Randy, Kathy, and a whole host of others that bring you these events. They all have jobs and life to deal with too and do a great job for a hobby related event that is not their main job--they are not full time trade show planners, but in my opinion do a damn good job.

:yeah: +1

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Vendor
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
I said this to Randy personally yesterday and will say it here publically, the MR swaps are by far the best events we go to and we attend a lot of them and I am not saying that just to be nice or suck up. MR events are the best planned and executed, always tons of folks that help out with set up and tear down, the fellowship goes well beyond the swap itself and this is with MR members-vendors-and MR staff to the point we call them friends. Every MR swap is jammed and hectic and fun, hey its NYC and that is expected. I thought this swap was the best ever and that is based on my personal opinion and experience at attending about 20 swaps a year at various sites around the US. The stock I saw at all the vendors was the best selection and pricing was excellent. Most folks that attend are looking for nice average corals, some like high end corals, and a few want colonies and we try to bring a wide variety, you have to remember that not all things are available at all times. Food is always an issue at the swaps, his one was no exception, but no one I know went hungry and at one point Daisy came around and asked us if we had enough eat and did we need anything. I can go on much more, but I think that MR members are well served by Josh, Randy, Kathy, and a whole host of others that bring you these events. They all have jobs and life to deal with too and do a great job for a hobby related event that is not their main job--they are not full time trade show planners, but in my opinion do a damn good job.

Thank You! I get so tired of all the complaining people do, they should be happy that there is a swap of this magnitude right in their back yard but hey, that's New York for you, never satisfied.

I truly don't think people realize the hard work that goes into planning an event like this and the time it takes to pull it off. I worked 20 hrs in 2 days with no break but to sleep 5 hrs and all I hear is people complaining that the corals weren't good enough. I said to Josh yesterday, "sometimes life get's in the way" meaning people have lives and families and everything else but they still make the time to pull off a great event.

Kudos to Josh, Randy, Kathy, and all the volunteers! especially the volunteers!! who make it just a bit easier for us people working our butts off behind the scenes to make it work

Last edited:

Dr. Mac

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I guess overall I really don't get what the problem was for some folks at this particular swap. The event had a cap on number of attendees and this was met and was the same as all other swaps so this one was no more or less crowded than any other--actually by the afternoon I made a comment that it seemed like less folks than usual because I could actually see across the room at times. Everything went off without any hitches that I saw, there was enough food for everyone to get at least some--if I had some and I was knee deep with customers all day then everyone else should have been able to get something-- this is a reef event not a BBQ. After a certain time there was no problem whatsoever getting to any vendors booth and taking as much time as you wished to look at stock and every vendor still had lots of nice stock by the afternoon. I really saw this as the best MR swap we have attended and we have been attending for years now. In my opinion there are always these threads after every MR swap and sometimes way to much seriousness is taken from the off hand comments of a few whiners and complainers-- this is not directed at any one individual, but after every swap there are threads from a small minority that complain about something and sometimes like this time the small minority make the entire event seem like crap and it was not, not by a long shot!!

Last edited:
Dr. Mac, I'm pretty sure I got my clam from you, I was keeping an eye out on them, didn't think I was going to buy one. But thanks for that great deal at the end, I was the one that asked for one of the two clams you had left and split the deal with the other people buying the other one since you were giving them a deal for those last two but they just wanted one. It opened up nicely today since by the time I was done acclimating it my lights went off. Thanks again

knutez24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I enjoyed the event! Yeah it was a little crowded at first and vendor tables were packed, but that's one reason everyone is there right? to check out the corals? Everyone rushes right to the tables when they show up, but by noon it calmed down.

Some posted no ORA, Jason Fox, Tyree....vendors in attendance had all of these. And there was still plenty of nice frags left when i took my last lap around 3.

Overall i thought it was great. Did sweat a bit, but everyone survived. Thanks to all involved setting up this event.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
thank you! I get so tired of all the complaining people do, they should be happy that there is a swap of this magnitude right in their back yard but hey, that's new york for you, never satisfied.

Kudos to josh, randy, kathy, and all the volunteers! Especially the volunteers!!
+1 ... when's the next one?

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I think this whole thread should be moved to the WHAAAAA Thread.
I didn't get to attend, but I would like to thank all the Mods and volunteers for their time and dedication to the hobby and this community.
Kudos to you all.
Executing a perfect event is alot more difficult than people think. Especially when so many variables are involved.
BTW. All of the pictures i saw seemed to involve smiling people.
And please stop yammering when someone is giving a lecture. It is just RUDE!!!

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
I honestly don't see a point in these threads. Just be happy with what we had, I thought it was a great event. I don't see anything needing to change, the only unfortunate thing about this swap is what happened to Cherry Corals, aside from that it was my first spring swap after attending 3 fall swaps and my gf and I found this one more enjoyable than the last one even with the fact that I spent just $60 on livestock, the speakers were great and talking to people like Rick (NYReefNoob) and Jeff (skatezen) was the best part which is what I think these events are mainly for. It takes a lot to put these swaps together and to throw in comments on what could have been done better is just unnecessary in my eyes. I feel like people always want more or better, why can't what we have just be good enough for what it is.

as one of the volunteers who worked their butts off Saturday and Sunday -and during the week, taking time out of my schedule to make signs, buy last minute things, bake cookies (okay, that wasn't really daunting or necessary, but still,) I really appreciate that you posted this, because this is how everyone's attitude should be. The coral market aspect is nice to have, but I rather enjoy seeing all my MR friends together in one place where we can talk reef, hang out and listen to some people who really know their stuff talk. I had spotted a coral I liked early in the morning, but didn't get to go over to the vendor's table until the afternoon because I was helping out, and to my chagrin somebody else had gotten to it already. Did I stomp my feet or start a thread saying "but I wanted THAT coral and I didn't prepay for it, and someone else got it fairly! Ugh!" No, I said 'good for that person, it was a nice piece' and went on my merry way, and ended up going home with some other really nice corals. I am sorry for all of the people who are monetizing the event, solely concerning themselves with how much money they did or didn't spend and the retail value of the items in the room, because they are really missing out by not participating socially.

(but then again, if you have an attitude, don't try to ruin it for everyone that is making the best of a situation that isn't even bad! just my $.02, feel free to ignore it.)

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
I cant believe i'm even reading this.. The swap is a good place to find some nice coral and dry goods, But it's not all about spending money. I look forward to swaps to buy and sell, but honestly meeting up and spending time with all my mr buddies as well as meeting new ones, sharing information about the hobbie and just catching up is what i look forward to the most. And lets not forget it's a nice enviorment to bring you family to spend quality time as well. I don't know too many places where you spend 25.00 and get to see and buy as much stuff, get food and drinks, Nice tank tours, Top of the line speakers.

Sorry some of you were disappoint but for me its was just ANother Great event..

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Vendor
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
I cant believe i'm even reading this.. The swap is a good place to find some nice coral and dry goods, But it's not all about spending money. I look forward to swaps to buy and sell, but honestly meeting up and spending time with all my mr buddies as well as meeting new ones, sharing information about the hobbie and just catching up is what i look forward to the most. And lets not forget it's a nice enviorment to bring you family to spend quality time as well. I don't know too many places where you spend 25.00 and get to see and buy as much stuff, get food and drinks, Nice tank tours, Top of the line speakers.

Sorry some of you were disappoint but for me its was just ANother Great event..
Dave as always it was great to see you and Thanks again for the freebies!! some people just don't get it!

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This was my first MR swap and I thought everything was great, there were still plenty of good finds at the end of the day; even saw some waiting out the day to scoop up last minute deals. Best part of the day for me was catching up and meeting fellow reefers, listening to 2 really great speakers and seeing Randy's beautiful tanks.

NDY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
330   0   0
As Dace Stated i can't belive either member are complained so much the event was great as Usual Just cuz U Didn't find what u was looking for does not mean it was awful Swap Sure the Place was Crowded and Hot but it was nice catching up with old friends.anyway Most of Us member Don't no how much time work The MR Staff Puts Up To Make This Event Possible i Want To Thanks Each And Everyone Of Them + Vendors for Briging all the Nice Corals we get to see and purchase at this wonderful event, My Solution is maybe We Could Make three or four Events instead of two. Two A Piece at Pratt And Pace just my two cents
Maybe the member that couldn't attend the first Swap can make it to the second or third one and we get to see and Buy the vendors Goodies More Often. Thanks Again

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
well after sitting here are reading this whole thread i am at a loss, especially after not having sleep for almost 40 hours in preparing and working the swap, people complaining that didnt even go, nor would go yes you jaa, come to one before you have an opinion on one.. people complaining about not much variety, Got frags brought over 60 different corals and almost 400 frags. we sold cheap, yes it was me who had the dendro for $50 wasnt our, was helping someone out and i lost $5 in the process cause he wanted $45 for it. Dr Mac had awesome stuff as usualy. got me 2 monster clams ;) every year unique corals brings their high end stuff and people complain about the prices and first year they dont bring the high $ people complain there isnt cherry stuff, i find it amusing that peole want high end stuff but dont want to pay the price for it. i will say this, if you think it is rough on your side of the table, try standing behind as a vendor all day and dealing with hundreds of people, i could go on and on but wont on that note

i will say this, i found this to be the least crowded swap with people { ive gone to all for last 6 years } especially after lunch, found the selection from all the vendors to be very nice, granted as most of us that have been in the hobby along time you've seen almost everything, and if people dont realize things get stressed inbetween being fragged, the movement of them, hands in the tank all day stuff being pointed out and so on. I personally had alot of fun, and the best part for me every swap has been getting to sit down and b.s with all the people i dont get to see except at swaps. if corals were my main reason and only reason to go to the swaps i wouldnt go, i can go to stores, it's the getting to see 300+ other fish nerds like me and meeting other members i have only met on here

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
200   0   0
maybe there should be more rooms open up for people to hang out and having a separate room or two so it's spread out a bit. I don't know what the arrangements with Pratt, is there another part of campus we can use or open up more rooms instead of just one room. next time if we break up Cherry Coral (sorry about the loss) and Dr Mac into different rooms then it would be less crowded.

I also remember where there were more member sellers, use to have a ton of member's selling, don't know exactly what happened, did they all become vendors ie: Allan (Reef Creations) and Mark (Got Frags), but what happen to the rest .... just wondering about what happen to member selling, perhaps they can go to another room

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Vendor
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
well after sitting here are reading this whole thread i am at a loss, especially after not having sleep for almost 40 hours in preparing and working the swap, people complaining that didnt even go, nor would go yes you jaa, come to one before you have an opinion on one.. people complaining about not much variety, Got frags brought over 60 different corals and almost 400 frags. we sold cheap, yes it was me who had the dendro for $50 wasnt our, was helping someone out and i lost $5 in the process cause he wanted $45 for it. Dr Mac had awesome stuff as usualy. got me 2 monster clams ;) every year unique corals brings their high end stuff and people complain about the prices and first year they dont bring the high $ people complain there isnt cherry stuff, i find it amusing that peole want high end stuff but dont want to pay the price for it. i will say this, if you think it is rough on your side of the table, try standing behind as a vendor all day and dealing with hundreds of people, i could go on and on but wont on that note

i will say this, i found this to be the least crowded swap with people { ive gone to all for last 6 years } especially after lunch, found the selection from all the vendors to be very nice, granted as most of us that have been in the hobby along time you've seen almost everything, and if people dont realize things get stressed inbetween being fragged, the movement of them, hands in the tank all day stuff being pointed out and so on. I personally had alot of fun, and the best part for me every swap has been getting to sit down and b.s with all the people i dont get to see except at swaps. if corals were my main reason and only reason to go to the swaps i wouldnt go, i can go to stores, it's the getting to see 300+ other fish nerds like me and meeting other members i have only met on here

great seeing you yesterday! Mark had some nice goodies and the cookies and slushies ruled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: