• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one the 'popular' hybrids of Chaetodon. C. meyeri x ornatissumus, 8cm.

It denied any foods and soon died.

Attachments

• CMeyxOrn80mmweb.jpg
    CMeyxOrn80mmweb.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,224
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cortez marine":3rp9bgdl said:
I just caught one of these in Mexico.
I found some ages ago and re-found em 2 weeks ago.
They have never been in the trade.
Serranus soccorensis ...one in hand now!
Steve

socorro_basslet_179.jpg

That picture is a DEAD ringer, as in exactly the same, as Jerry Allan's picture from page 166 in Kuiter's book "Basslets, Hamlets and their relatives". Did you take it yourself, or poach it and not give Jerry Allen credit?

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of the real fish in holding and they are mixed up with this wild photo which was clearer.
Its Gerald Allens photo to be sure of my fish caught ages ago.
Gerald Allen photo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a picture from the wild so how is that your fish? you caught it seconds later?

Could you please add the credit to the photo in your post, you know how to edit ;)

this is not a first for you, you've done it to me as well and it's really not a cool thing to do. Illegal in fact.

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan Gotshall took the first photos of this new fish in 1985.
I led him to a colony I had seen a year prior. He snapped the pic and I collected the fish and several others.
We took it to Scripps where they pronounced it a new species.
Then they killed it, pickled it and sent it off to be made official.

7-8 years later, Allen and Randal did more work on it and named it not after the discoverer but the island it came from. The discovery was mine...new photo is theirs .
The curator at Scripps told me that they basically stole my fish and omitted the origin of it.
I took several new pics and am trying to load em now...
Gresham has reminded me that its not the discovery of a new species that matters , nor the adventure or the information that I have from watching the fishes behavior but the right protocol for crediting photos.
I will do that and thought the photo was the original by Dan Gotshall whom I just talked to recently over our fish so long ago.

Still, they did steal my fish and that should be illegal if anything.
Steve

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is...the Soccorro Basslet.
This time its my photo... and you can tell by the poorer quality. Thanks to Gresham for re-sizing it.
Sincerely,
Steve

Attachments

• Steve_basslet[1].jpg
    Steve_basslet[1].jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,080

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a male Cirrhilabrus scottorum, from Vanuatu, 130mm TL. A quite beautiful species with many color morphs. It probably is one of the most spectacular members in the genus.

Attachments

• cScott130mmWeb.jpg
    cScott130mmWeb.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,967

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a 'pair' of Genicanthus bellus from the Philippines.

It is not a permanent pair but they do well together. The male still
has some colorations of female. The female was 35mm some ten months ago when I got.

It was recently recorded also from Okinawa, s. Japan. [/i]

Attachments

• GBellusFM50-150mm.jpg
    GBellusFM50-150mm.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,890
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies it wasn't complete! :oops:

I hope at least the sentiment was clear, if not the linguistic rectitude...

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is very good. Do not worry. Some of foreign friends wrote to me in Japanese, but all of them state that Japanese is much difficult. I understand.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Tanaka-san.

Sugoku muzakashii desu kedo gambaranakiya ikenai (boku no kanai ga nihonjin de, renshu kikai ga ippai arimasu!).

(It's very difficult, but I must try hard (my wife is Japanese, so I have plenty of opportunities to practise!)

In any case, your English is very good indeed and unfortunately I cannot type in Japanese script on this computer, so maybe we should stick to English! :) Sorry to hijack your thread and thanks for your patience. :oops:

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
 I named a new fish from Indonesia with Dr. John E. Randall and it was described in the latest issue of aqua (Volume 15ã€

Attachments

• CirrhilabrusNaokoaeMale7cm.jpg
    CirrhilabrusNaokoaeMale7cm.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,146

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: