• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Yes, I'm looking forward to being able to visit a lot of my old favorites. I used to shop at Natural in Tokyo most, but have a few others that I also intend to visit when I return.

Thanks for the advice on covers. I might well go for a simple glass cover as well, but was slightly worried about gas exchange and whether salt-creep on the glass might affect light penetration. I see that wouldn't be a problem for you with only fish!

Very cute Flame Angel! I had one in my last tank, but he had to be returned to the shop in the end as he developed a taste for SPS coral. :(

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Escaped Ape,

Here is a shot of Paracheilinus mccoskeri, from Kenya, male 70mm in display. A rarely seen form.

It has much more reddish areas on fins rather than those in the 'true' mccoaskeri from the Maldives, etc.
It may prove to be a valid species by DNA study.

Attachments

• PMccoskeriKenya70mmWeb.jpg
    PMccoskeriKenya70mmWeb.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3,962

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a new comer, Centropyge shepardi to a shop B-Box Aquarium in Saitama, just north of Tokyo.

It was bright orange on body with fewer dark bands. Also it was very active around the tank and doing well.

As you know the species was found also in Ogasawara and in Hachijo-jima Island, southern Izu Islands.

A quite beautiful individual.

Attachments

• CeShepardi70mm.jpg
    CeShepardi70mm.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3,818

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Your calling my name in Japanese is very good.

Yes, it seems a hybrid, not a new species, but has a bright reddish orange body.

I think that C. ferrugata does not occur around Cebu, southern Philippines where my specimen has been collected. C. loriculus or C. shepardi will be observed by divers on rare occasion, I hear. I will preserve it for DNA analysis in the future.

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a newly introduced dottyback photo.

It seems Pictichromis diadema, but has a broader pink band.
It is some 60 mm, and said to have been collected in Cebu, the Philippines.
It is very well in my fish-only tank, and is not so aggressive towards other smaller inhabitants.

Gerry Allen, a famous authority on tropical reef fishes informed me that it was a variant of diadema.

I will try to get tissues from it, and make a DNA study in the future to compare it with 'true' diadema at Miyazaki University with help of the professor and some postgraduates.

Attachments

• PSpecies6cm3Dec222009.jpg
    PSpecies6cm3Dec222009.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 3,581

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I got a beautiful Pseudojuloides severnsi, male 8cm but unfortunately it soon died without acclimation; it did not accept any food offered.

Attachments

• PseudojuloidesSevernsi8cmMa.jpg
    PseudojuloidesSevernsi8cmMa.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,433

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and yes, it is too bad.

Here is a photo of a male Pseudojuloides kaleidos, 8cm from Indonesia (at a shop).
It is rarely available. Perhaps it also denies any foods.

Attachments

• PseudojuloidesKaleidosMale.jpg
    PseudojuloidesKaleidosMale.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 3,379

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Matt.

No, I have not seen the species yet, and it is extremely rare in market. I too really hope to see it.

The photo shows the female P. kaleidos, 65mm from Indonesia that will be sold on occasion.

Attachments

• PseudojuloidesKaleidosFem.jpg
    PseudojuloidesKaleidosFem.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3,340

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an unusual Chaetodon burgessi, 7cm. It has a yellow eye-band that is black in typical individuals.

Some specimens surely possess such a yellow band there, especially those from Kumejima, Okinawa (see Scott Michael, Reef Fishes), but it seems rare.

Attachments

• ChBurgessi70mm.jpg
    ChBurgessi70mm.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3,215

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two forms of Helfrich's Dartfish, Nemateleotris helfrichi.

They became popular among aquarists, and will thrive well in captivities.

The one with a purplish head is said to come from the Cook Islands, and always command a high price.

Attachments

• NemaHelfrichiweb.jpg
    NemaHelfrichiweb.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3,192
  • NemaHelfrichi-2.jpg
    NemaHelfrichi-2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 3,174

muchosarah

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the pictures was great, and i assume that you are a nature lover? well i wish that i could also have a slr to capture all the beautiful sceneries.. =)

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks, muchosarah,

Yes, I am a nature lover in a sense, and also love aquarium species as well. I like untouched reefs more than aquatic sceneries, but it is much easier to see fishes and reefs in home.

The fish is Chaetodon rafflessi, only 2cm at a yacht harbor in Miyazaki City. The depth is only 1 meter and the fish sometimes comes up to the surface. I have never seen the species here before.

Attachments

• amichou-2010-07-19-049.jpg
    amichou-2010-07-19-049.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 3,032

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: