• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Congratulations Tanaka-san!

Very beautiful fish, and that is very nice to name it after your wife!

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, Matt.

Yes, it was very fortunate to me.

Attachments

• CNaokoae.jpg
    CNaokoae.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,623

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a new comer, Canthigaster leoparda, a Leopard Puffer (Toby) from Indonesia, 4 cm.

It was described from the Philippines and now it has been recorded from certain areas of Indonesia, Guam and Christmas Island (ind. Oc.). It is a deepwater dweller, being found in 30 to 50 meters depth.

My new fish is not aggressive, or rather shy and now hided away among rocks. I saw it eating flakes on the bottom, but members of the genus may not accept any foods in the aquarium.

Three individuals have been sold on a web of a shop in Saitama.

Attachments

• CanthigasterLeoparda4cm-4.jpg
    CanthigasterLeoparda4cm-4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,399
  • CanthigasterLeoparda4cm-2.jpg
    CanthigasterLeoparda4cm-2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,403
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiroyuki Tanaka":mz32ez8a said:
Here is a new comer, Canthigaster leoparda, a Leopard Puffer (Toby) from Indonesia, 4 cm.

It was described from the Philippines and now it has been recorded from certain areas of Indonesia, Guam and Christmas Island (ind. Oc.). It is a deepwater dweller, being found in 30 to 50 meters depth.

My new fish is not aggressive, or rather shy and now hided away among rocks. I saw it eating flakes on the bottom, but members of the genus may not accept any foods in the aquarium.

Three individuals have been sold on a web of a shop in Saitama.

Hiroyuki, this fish has been available for a pretty low price in the US recently. Is it rare in Japan?

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Yes, it is still rare in Japanese market, but it is increasing in number and the price became lower.

I am still enjoying its coloration in a tank; it is doing very well, although it is said to be difficult to keep.

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I found a rare butterflyfish in my area, Sun Marina Miyazaki (a small yacht harbor).

I saw a juvenile Wiebel's Butterflyfish, Chaetodon wiebeli, 4cm long, near surface. It is rarely seen in
Kyushu or Honshu, and is a southern species, around Indonesia and Philippines. It is occasionally seen
in Okinawa area, but not too often.

It has a yellowish body with diagonal brownish lines on side, and a distinct black bar behind the white bar
around head in adulthood.

Attachments

• 4cm-2009-05-04-067w.jpg
    4cm-2009-05-04-067w.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,032
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being as Marina is my given name, I do believe I'm fondest of that butterflyfish. :D

Have you been able to visit any of these collection areas, such as Guam? My husband and I were in Guam last year, on the Naval base, and I remember seeing that little Canthagaster (well-behaved with me in the water, unlike certain triggerfishes, which chased me rather like hungry dogs) while diving in the only bay on the island (from a no-fishing beach, amazing dives), as well as many others. I think I could live there.

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seanaiden,

Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I visited Guam once, more than ten years ago. I could have enjoyed snorkeling there, and it nearly was a paradise to me. Many intimate colorful fishes existed before my eyes. I could see some endemic fish species sold at pet stores but Chaetodon flavocoronatus (extremeley rare). I visited Oahu four times and Bali once. I always purchased live fishes whenever I visited these exotic warm places.

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning Station.

Two cleaner wrasses (Labroides dimidiatus) togther have a small area for several species of fishes.
They have been staying at the same place (for more than 6 months).

Many species gather to be cleaned by them, and they do not move while they are being cleaned
and waiting for it. No trouble.

This can be seen at 1 meter depth from the surface anytime.

Attachments

• 2009-05-05-050w.jpg
    2009-05-05-050w.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,994

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks joetbs,

The species is very common here and I can see one or two individuals anytime; its size varies
from 7cm (see photo) to over 30 cm. Rather retiring and when I gaze at it from the wall above it
often darts into crevices.

Attachments

• 7cm-2009-05-06-041.jpg
    7cm-2009-05-06-041.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,965

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hers is a new comer from Bali, Indonesia.

It is undoutedly a new species of Cirrhilabrus, male, some 63mm TL. It was collected in northern coast off Bali.

The species was also collected in southern Sulawesi, and seems closest to C. morrisoni from Western Australia.
They will be diferentiated by different colors in fins.

Now an ichthyologist in Oahu Island is examining my specimen and also his specimens to name it. I may participate
in describing as a second author.

Attachments

• CSpBali-B-057w.jpg
    CSpBali-B-057w.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,937

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last evening I got a large Jordan's Fairy Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus jordani, 11 cm from Hawaii.

It soon accepted foods and will sometimes slightly change colors like this when other fish appraches.

Attachments

• CJordaniMa11cm-2w.jpg
    CJordaniMa11cm-2w.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,837
  • CJordaniMa11cm-1w.jpg
    CJordaniMa11cm-1w.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,837
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice pictures again Tanaka-san. Could I ask you a question please? As an experienced keeper of wrasses, what is the solution you use to stop them jumping out of the tank? I know that in Japan a lot of people have open topped tanks, but that would be inviting disaster with such an expensive fish and I would like to know if you have any tips for keeping them in the tank? I will be setting up a tank when I move back to Japan next year and would love to keep a wrasse if I can.

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your nice comment. It is good to hear that you would move to Japan; Tokyo ? Osaka ? Anyway you may find many unusual fishes there almost anytime.

It is not recommended the tank to be uncovered. They will chase another species and one may jump out of the tank, and then it will eventually die. Some persons will keep them in a 'bare' tank with so many corals and rocks, but it does not guarantee fishes to be safe. Good Luck !

Best Regards, Hiroyuki

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Hiroyuki-san. I will be moving to Tokyo, as from about March next year. I'm already planning my aquarium! I certainly won't buy a wrasse before getting a cover for the tank, but was wondering what you use for your tanks. Do you have a simple glass cover or something else?

Best wishes,

Tom

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

It is good. There are many good shops there.

My tank is very simple, being decorated with rocks and ornamental dead corals only, and a glass cover on the top.

Here is a newly introdiced Flaming Angel, only 25 mm TL. I purchased it at a shop in Saitama, just north of Tokyo through their web.

Attachments

• CeLoriculus25mm.jpg
    CeLoriculus25mm.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,747

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: