• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a new column. I got a new digital Nikon's one-lens camera, and I can take photos and see so easily. Anybody can post any fish or invert pics just photographed (not limited to "today") and I hope to see yours !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went to a yacht harbor this morning (5:30 AM) and faound four species of Chaetodon. One of them is C. auripes, some 15cm long, a less colorful species.

They can be seen from the upper side of the wall of the harbor, and the depth from the angle of wall was some 2 meters. The harbor is located near to my home (Miyazaki City, southern Japan) and it took some 10 minuites by car.

1. C. melannotus, 15mm and C. vagabundus, 20mm.

2. C. auriga, 20mm.

Attachments

• CA.jpg
    CA.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 20,254
  • CMV.jpg
    CMV.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 20,267

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

The next is one of rays ??? It measured over 40 cm long. It slowly swimmed before my eyes.

Attachments

• エイ?.jpg
    エイ?.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 20,237
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a ray, or a sunfish (Mola Mola) on it's side? IS that red color it's true color?

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but it is not a sunfish. Yes, it was reddish brown like this. Today (July 2) I went again to photograph the threadfin butterfly and it is here. It was swimming just under the surface (around 7:00AM).

Attachments

• CA2.jpg
    CA2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 20,192

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I went to the yacht harbor at 7:00 and took 70 shots.

1 A long fish swimming very slowly at the surface, over 30cm. They are hunters and the third individual has already caught a small butterflyfish 8O .

2 :?: I cannot tell the species but blenny. A quite beautiful fish, some 5cm :) .

3 A Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus), 6cm was cleaning several larger species at the surface there.

Attachments

• LDimidiatus6cm.jpg
    LDimidiatus6cm.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 19,999
  • Gimpo.jpg
    Gimpo.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 20,005
  • Datsu.jpg
    Datsu.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 20,012

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6:30AM at the same yacht harbor, Miyazaki City. July 10, 2006. Cloudy.

Platax orbicularis, 4cm at the surface.

Chaetodon lunula, 2cm.

Chaetodon vagabundus, 2cm and a surgeofish.

Attachments

• CVagabund.jpg
    CVagabund.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 19,918
  • Chohan.jpg
    Chohan.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19,913
  • Tsuba1.jpg
    Tsuba1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 19,930
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How nice it must be to see them up close in a natural habitat!

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it would be so nice to be able to go down to the local harbor and see such pretty fish. The few fish you can see around harbors in Southern California are all drab colors and pretty boring. Plus the water is usually filthy. You are lucky to have found such a nice spot.

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Matt,

Many thanks for your ID and very nice pics. Here is another shot taken yesterday. They should be a pair.

Today (5:30 AM) I photographed two butterflyfishes, one of them is the Oriental Butterfly, Chaetodon auripes, the commonest in Japan.

Attachments

• CVagCAuri.jpg
    CVagCAuri.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 19,834
  • Gimpo-2.jpg
    Gimpo-2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 19,847

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the rare butterflyfish, Chaetodon lunulatus, 15mm photographed at the surface in June 18, 2006. I have seen it only once !

Attachments

• 2006-06-18-007-(2)-web.jpg
    2006-06-18-007-(2)-web.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 19,775
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiroyuki Tanaka":3fko7ll0 said:
Dear Matt,

Many thanks for your ID and very nice pics. Here is another shot taken yesterday. They should be a pair.

Dr. Tanaka,
Do you know how this fish feeds? Be careful of your hands when they are in the water!

:D

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":34xw9nu9 said:
Hiroyuki Tanaka":34xw9nu9 said:
Dear Matt,

Dr. Tanaka,
Do you know how this fish feeds? Be careful of your hands when they are in the water!

I want to know how it feeds. Tell us! Tell us!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meloco14":3g4uyxyk said:
Matt_Wandell":3g4uyxyk said:
Hiroyuki Tanaka":3g4uyxyk said:
Dear Matt,

Dr. Tanaka,

I want to know how it feeds. Tell us! Tell us!

Blennies from the genera Plagiotremus and Aspidontus (and there's one other I can't recall) are called 'fang blennies'. They typically mimic cleaner wrasses and peaceful Meiacanthus blennies, among others. They do this to enable getting close to large fish, which they swim up to and tear a large chunk of flesh out of. They have two little venomous fangs if I remember right.

So, assuming they would treat a human arm like any other large chunk of meat swimming by, they'd probably have no qualms about swimming right up and biting the hell out of you. I believe Bob Fenner has been bitten by this very species....twice!

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, yes I have read an article in Coral magazine about fang blennies. They look cool when swimming but I would never want to mess with them!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: