• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

beaslbob":2w4x4ba6 said:
Guy":2w4x4ba6 said:
Once Beaslbob starts his new tank using his methods and documents its progress and success we will all have to acknowledge that his method works and we'll have to stop criticizing the technique.

He will also have a permanent thread that he can just point people to that explains it all in detail and show what a prize the end result is going to be.

Or I can post pictures of tanks started with plant life as I did in this thread. And pictures of tanks with no added plant life. As I did in this thread.

And I can refer to FW also.

And others could post pictures that show the oppisite of what you posted. Cherry picking your examples is misleading. I have no idea why you think FW has anything to do with reefkeeping in this discussion.

And post problems tanks are having with no added plant life. LIke rob's

And it would just as easy to post problem tanks that have added plant life.

And I can post tank running for 1 1/2 years with excellent sps growth using plant life but with ro/di and water changes.

To what point? That is not your method.

And the local club has some new setups for our next meeting started with plant life refugiums. So I can post those.

Please do, but be sure to include all the details instead of just the ones that support your ideas.

After all the only difference is whether or not you start the system with added plant life or not. Everything else is secondary.

I don't see how you can say that, given you have never actually seen a tank started that way.

A

Anonymous

>...And post problems tanks are having with no added plant life. LIke rob's

PLB, stop picking on poor Rob about his hair algae. He is recovering from the problem.

>...Or I can post pictures of tanks started with plant life as I did in this thread. And pictures of tanks with no added plant life. As I did in this thread....

I hope you don't work for the FDA....

>..And I can refer to FW also.

FW threads should be in the FW forum. I am sure DannyO wants FW discussion to be in the correct place.

>...And just let the newbies decide. ..

I think there is a reason that some of us wants to keep you away from newbies.

>...After all the only difference is whether or not you start the system with added plant life or not. Everything else is secondary...

Plant life sounds like a cure-all... or what is the word I am looking for... pana... pancrea ?!?! :!spell:

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":2amoe1tc said:
Simply put bob, why won't you enter the contest?

Simply put..because his methods will likely not work on a nano.

Some of what Bob says does have some merit...in certain applications.
And I'll agree that starting a tank and having a fuge can definitely help out a tank.

The thing I'm at odds with is his insistence on constantly shying away from answering posts directly, supporting his 'method' with pics/links to tanks not even using his method aside from having a fuge.

Bob, have you changed your tune again? Is your 'method' now changed to 'start the tank with a fuge' or is it still 'no water changes, no good lights, no dosing, etc etc'

I'd really like to see you enter....hell, a 10gal is $9 at Petsmart. You should have some other stuff lying around that you can use in it...
We'd really like to see how the tank turns out...I don't predict failure, I just don't think it'll work....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a nano that will cost about $50 not including livestock :P We'll see how I do.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I can post tank running for 1 1/2 years with excellent sps growth using plant life but with ro/di and water changes.

Water changes - Against your method

Algae happen due to MY lack of maintenance not because of NO plants. Now that I am blasting the LR and do weekly water changes the algae is almost gone!

WHERE ARE THE PICS OF A TANK THAT HAS RUN FOR OVER 5 YEARS WITH NO SKIMMING AND NO WATER CHANGES AND NO RO/DI? Not partial of some ro and some water changes and some skimming.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Box Etc":3aa2friw said:
Plant life sounds like a cure-all... or what is the word I am looking for... pana... pancrea ?!?! :!spell:

Panacea ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":3aa2friw said:
Simply put bob, why won't you enter the contest?

Simply answered, we have tanks in 50% of the rooms of our house already, plus beata vases in two more. No room left for another tank.
Plus I am working on a combination filter/surge for the 55g. And that is taking all my current building time.

I have encouraged and informed other locals the build off is here to maybe they will enter also.

Thales: I have not edited my sig since shortly after I joined here.

Bucktronix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem with doing a nano is you would need a fuge bigger than the nano full of cheato just to keep up. plus you definaly would need to do water changes.

Bucktronix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":3hnfwk1l said:
I'm doing a nano that will cost about $50 not including livestock :P We'll see how I do.

it sounds like your nano is not really a reef more like a planted salt tank without lights?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":34ax5s6e said:
Simply answered, we have tanks in 50% of the rooms of our house already, plus beata vases in two more. No room left for another tank.
Plus I am working on a combination filter/surge for the 55g. And that is taking all my current building time.
why are you filtering? add some plant life instead.
~wings~

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wings8888":hb0cpbki said:
beaslbob":hb0cpbki said:
~wings~

:lol: I was thinking that...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bucktronix":3o0w6zjh said:
Matt_Wandell":3o0w6zjh said:

it sounds like your nano is not really a reef more like a planted salt tank without lights?

Yeah but it will still look cool :P I'm hoping if it works more people will do it. Kinda like having a potted plant in your window, except the pot is filled with sand and saltwater. Very simple concept. Anyway I digress...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob_Reef_Keeper":2xwzanws said:

any method that takes care of the plant life is "my" method. Not upsetting every week with a water change is secondary to that.

Algae happen due to MY lack of maintenance not because of NO plants. Now that I am blasting the LR and do weekly water changes the algae is almost gone!
This is exactly my main point. It is your attempt to keep a plant lifeless "sterile" system that is causing your problems. The system is telling you it needs plant life. And you are refusing to listen. Just as the green water system posted on this forum. But with litle to no maintenance and added sufficient plant life you simply don't get those nuisance algaes. Just as in beanpole's system. Any closed system with a bioload, carbon dioxide, and light is going to produce plant life. Regardless of your efforts to prevent that. The sooner you embrace that fact and have plant life you like, the sooner you furstrations will end.
WHERE ARE THE PICS OF A TANK THAT HAS RUN FOR OVER 5 YEARS WITH NO SKIMMING AND NO WATER CHANGES AND NO RO/DI? Not partial of some ro and some water changes and some skimming.

So a year and a half is not long enough, it has to be 5 years. then 10 years. then 20. Meanwhile at 3 months a tank is totally green. Your system has algae return after three months of a total tear down. Cal's Fw has no algae and has not even had the glass scraped after 6 months. My fw has been running for 4 years. Newbies are constantly posting, algae problems, parameter problems, ph drops, fish dieing, etc etc. Even though they are doing the water changes, filtration, circulation and everything else.

As I said, I'll let the newbies reading this thread decide if establishing a balance between animal and plant life as the first thing sounds like a good idea. After all it is the way the earth is setup including all aquatic systems even reefs.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wings8888":2yzzb4a4 said:
beaslbob":2yzzb4a4 said:
~wings~

Same thing I have on my 55g. Just the crushed oyster shells. they do filtering as well. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":1h6btwug said:
But with litle to no maintenance and added sufficient plant life you simply don't get those nuisance algaes.

You seem to keep forgetting those annoying Cyanobacter blooms you still get. Selective memory once again....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":8dq9ihre said:
So a year and a half is not long enough

IMO a year and a half is sufficient... but where's the picture?? Show me...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":1l0slk6a said:
As I said, I'll let the newbies reading this thread decide if establishing a balance between animal and plant life as the first thing sounds like a good idea.

Show me...

You have never started a reef this way... show me it works...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont care about FW. I have a FW planted tank and thats a WHOLE DIFFERENT story.

Rob_Reef_Keeper wrote:
Quote:

any method that takes care of the plant life is "my" method. Not upsetting every week with a water change is secondary to that.
Quote:

Quote:

This is exactly my main point. It is your attempt to keep a plant lifeless "sterile" system that is causing your problems. The system is telling you it needs plant life. And you are refusing to listen. Just as the green water system posted on this forum. But with litle to no maintenance and added sufficient plant life you simply don't get those nuisance algaes. Just as in beanpole's system. Any closed system with a bioload, carbon dioxide, and light is going to produce plant life. Regardless of your efforts to prevent that. The sooner you embrace that fact and have plant life you like, the sooner you furstrations will end.

If I did normal maintenance on my tank I would not have the hair algae. The whole tank was not torn down adn 3 months later the algae came back.

The tank ran for a year and the algae was there because of MY lack of proper maintenance and a good skimmer. I got a better skimmer and I started weekly water changes and blasting the LR and it went away. I stopped the weekly WC's and blasting and the algae came back. I have started the weekly WC's and blasting and guess what ..the algae is residing. AND NO PLANTS were added.

Again Tony Huff's TOTM is georgeoud and he uses a skimemr and additives like a CA reactor adn water changes.

I have still yet to see a skimmer less, water changeless, no additive tank yet?

It doesn't have to be a 5 year old tank. But dont show me a 3 month year old tank with a light to no bioload.

WHERE is a current tank that has GREAT SPS growth as you state?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crushed oyster shells - a great source of phosphates for the forest to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: