• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I wish I could. That Gigas is going to dictate when I upgrade to the 300G. :lol:

Louey

A

Anonymous

BTW, anybody think the tank actually looks yellow?

dscn0928_114.jpg

Bucktronix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you have pretty much hit every variation on brown. how is it if this tank has been running for 7 years there isn’t one spec of coraline? my tanks been up for 2 months and the rocks are covered in it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bucktronix":35z9jin9 said:
i think you have pretty much hit every variation on brown. how is it if this tank has been running for 7 years there isn’t one spec of coraline? my tanks been up for 2 months and the rocks are covered in it.

The rocks are covered in it in especially shaded areas. I also scrape it off all 5 glass panels every week.

Bucktronix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you telling me you scrape coraline off the bottom of your tank every week? how do you do that? btw judging by the pictures posted i don't see much if any "covering" your rocks, they look pretty white to me. you sure this tank has been setup for 7 years, i see a lot of new frags? maybe 7 weeks?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
galleon":3mx38je1 said:
Bucktronix":3mx38je1 said:

The rocks are covered in it in especially shaded areas. I also scrape it off all 5 glass panels every week.

See I told you you had plant life. :lol:

So if I do all the work you do, have no fish, constantly scrape plant life off the glass, then that is the one and only way to have a reef tank.

I'll just add plant life right from the start, have as many fish as I want, not worry about the quality of the input water, not do water changes, not run a skimmer, not run a filter, insure water flows through a calcium carbonate source and wind up with the same water parametrs and conditions.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":1c0mr3zm said:
So if I do all the work you do, have no fish, constantly scrape plant life off the glass, then that is the one and only way to have a reef tank.

Bob, it is rude and annoying for you to once again mischaracterize others arguments as 'the only way to have a reef tank'. It is bogus and you know it, yet you persist in doing it.

I'll just add plant life right from the start, have as many fish as I want, not worry about the quality of the input water, not do water changes, not run a skimmer, not run a filter, insure water flows through a calcium carbonate source and wind up with the same water parametrs and conditions.

Then set up an SPS tank using doing that husbandry and enter it in the competition.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":3bdmson5 said:

That's great news Bob. Just send an e-mail to [email protected] and Len will get you added to the Build-off Forum. It's going to be a lot more fun with you in there documenting your style of reefkeeping. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Righty":30xpj9th said:
beaslbob":30xpj9th said:

Bob, it is rude and annoying for you to once again mischaracterize others arguments as 'the only way to have a reef tank'. It is bogus and you know it, yet you persist in doing it.

I am very sorry. I was under the impression that the way to setup a reef tank was to use ro/di water, skimmer and plant life was not relevant.

So am I correct to assume the corraline is plant life and part of the system?

Am I also correct to assume that setting a refugium right from the start is an effective method of maintaining a reef tank?

Or was I not rude but stating an accurate picture of "your" method of keeping a reef tank? which is:

1) that corraline algae is not algae and does not perform the same functions of other plant life.
2) That refugiums with plant life are to be avoided at all costs.
3) skimmers are mandatory
4) water changes are mandatory
5) ro/di ismandatory
6) The fish load must be extremely low to non existant
7) nitrate generators like crushed coral and various filters are to be avoided at all costs?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline is a by product of whats living on the rocks..kinda hard to have it completely devoid when using LR..Coralline is by no means sustaining a tank
Beaslbob":mc3ww5vu said:
1) that corraline algae is not algae and does not perform the same functions of other plant life.
5) ro/di ismandatory
7) nitrate generators like crushed coral and various filters are to be avoided at all costs?
No actually it can be a combination of all..however the safe way for a beginner would be to use the mechanical filtration (ie skimmer) and biological filtration of LR and/or LS..

you are avoiding the issue and credibility is going to crap (or is crap by some individuals) by not partaking in this build off...You claim your methods are superior to those of us who use the mechanical type filtration why not just quit pussy footing around and do it...Show the doubters your skills or button up!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":2373jkbk said:
I am very sorry. I was under the impression that the way to setup a reef tank was to use ro/di water, skimmer and plant life was not relevant.

I am at a loss as to how you could be under such and impression. This has been addressed by me to you on at least four separate occasions (and not just me - many people have discussed this with you on RDO). Either you don't read what other people write, you don't understand what other people write, or you are being obtuse on purpose (I believe on at least one occasion I have written that samesentence to you before).

Or was I not rude but stating an accurate picture of "your" method of keeping a reef tank? which is:

5) ro/di ismandatory

Geese Bob, after all the discussions and all the different people addressing these point, I find it impossible to believe you really think anyone thinks the bulk of those statements.
Your representation of 'my' is wildly inaccurate.

For kicks here we go once again.
1) I have no idea what functions you are referring to this time. If you are going to claim that coralline is a good way of exporting metals or nutrients you are wrong.
2) Nope.
3) Nope. Recommended.
4) Nope. Recommended.
5) Nope. Recommended.
6) Nope.
7) Nope.

Please forgive my terseness, but it is disheartening to go over this with you time and again just to have you ignore it and misrepresent it. I am even more bothered by the my ever growing suspicion that you are doing this on purpose.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LordNikon":25k92m71 said:
Coralline is a by product of whats living on the rocks..kinda hard to have it completely devoid when using LR..Coralline is by no means sustaining a tank

See there. that has been one of my main points all along. You either get the plant life you want (like corraline) or the plant life you don't want like the ugly algaes.

Hopefully the coraline will continue consuming carbon dioxide, releasing oxygen, bioaccumulating heavy metals, completing the nitrogen cycle and consuming phosphates, regardless of how much you think it is maintaining the tank.

beanpole209

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kindof hard keeping our current tanks goin with work and everything why should either of us invest our time and money to setup something that will be taken down rite after the contest at total cost to us ?? Its totally upto bob if he can but it would be atleast aweek and ahalf befor I could even think of setting one up Im in the prosses of buying a new car so there is also a money issue!! And another thing if we setup another tank It would not make a difference in most peoples opinion so that would void the whole idea the fact is there is no amount of proof that could satisfy you people so why bother???????????????????????????

LordNikon":16twzn56 said:
Beaslbob":16twzn56 said:
5) ro/di ismandatory
No actually it can be a combination of all..however the safe way for a beginner would be to use the mechanical filtration (ie skimmer) and biological filtration of LR and/or LS..

you are avoiding the issue and credibility is going to crap (or is crap by some individuals) by not partaking in this build off...You claim your methods are superior to those of us who use the mechanical type filtration why not just quit pussy footing around and do it...Show the doubters your skills or button up!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think coraline consumes phosphates. I htink phosphate stop coraline growth. My tank has hair algae but no coraline on the rocks but on the glass so there goes the fact that coraline is a nutrient exporter. Coraline needs decent calcium and alkalinity and clean water to grow. I do not see any coraline in you pic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beanpole209":2mip65ai said:
Its kindof hard keeping our current tanks goin with work and everything

Bob keeps saying its almost maintianince free.

why should either of us invest our time and money to setup something that will be taken down rite after the contest at total cost to us ??

Bob keeps saying it cheap and easy. Leave it up.

Its totally upto bob if he can but it would be atleast aweek and ahalf befor I could even think of setting one up Im in the prosses of buying a new car so there is also a money issue!!

Bob keeps saying it cheap.

And another thing if we setup another tank It would not make a difference in most peoples opinion so that would void the whole idea the fact is there is no amount of proof that could satisfy you people so why bother???????????????????????????

If you really think that way, why are posting here at all?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob_Reef_Keeper":3ep97nb7 said:
I dont think coraline consumes phosphates. I htink phosphate stop coraline growth. My tank has hair algae but no coraline on the rocks but on the glass so there goes the fact that coraline is a nutrient exporter. Coraline needs decent calcium and alkalinity and clean water to grow. I do not see any coraline in you pic.

I think you are right, Rob. PO4 prevents calcium from being absorbed correctly for stony corals, and Coraline algaes. ...which could be why bob's tank has very little coraline.

~wings~

beanpole209

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob said it was cheap not free !!!!

Bob keeps saying its almost maintianince free not maintianince free the Dictionary tells us almost means : very nearly but not exactly or entirely

Bob keeps saying it cheap and easy. Leave it up. ???

well>>>
leftovers":tbfjx7us said:
neither they both are ugly imo

galleon":tbfjx7us said:
leftovers":tbfjx7us said:
neither they both are ugly imo

What can I say, start with ugly brown and green corals and that's what you get.

quotes like that help I dont know how galleon can say anything his tank looks like another TBS nightmare just without the sand his LR looks like the concrete they made it up from there local HD

Thales":tbfjx7us said:
beanpole209":tbfjx7us said:
Its kindof hard keeping our current tanks goin with work and everything

Bob keeps saying its almost maintianince free.

why should either of us invest our time and money to setup something that will be taken down rite after the contest at total cost to us ??

Bob keeps saying it cheap and easy. Leave it up.

Its totally upto bob if he can but it would be atleast aweek and ahalf befor I could even think of setting one up Im in the prosses of buying a new car so there is also a money issue!!

Bob keeps saying it cheap.

And another thing if we setup another tank It would not make a difference in most peoples opinion so that would void the whole idea the fact is there is no amount of proof that could satisfy you people so why bother???????????????????????????

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wings8888":10o5tw6k said:
Rob_Reef_Keeper":10o5tw6k said:

I think you are right, Rob. PO4 prevents calcium from being absorbed correctly for stony corals, and Coraline algaes. ...which could be why bob's tank has very little coraline.

~wings~

One of many many references: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/southflor ... algae.html

coralline algae: algae that secrete calcium carbonate in their tissues. Hard, encrusting, red coralline algae are significant reef builders in some areas.

:wink: I looked, really I did but didn't find ANY reference to corralline taking in PO4 or anything else really, except for light and calcium carbonate.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":1u42i7sk said:
:wink: I looked, really I did but didn't find ANY reference to corralline taking in PO4 or anything else really, except for light and calcium carbonate.

Phosphate is a building block for the protein chains making up the Coralline version of Protista Flesh. I'm confident that the Phosphate content is there albiet in minute quantities. Since the growing skin is very thin and the Coralline isn't being exported in great quantity it's a mute point IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: