• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest problem with this theory is that even if the macros *do* uptake bad things, there is *nothing* that will keep these same things (copper, heavy metals, crud, etc) from being absorbed into your corals.

Just because the macros may pull some amount out of the water column, it's incorrect to think your other denizens won't be affected.

You don't need to worry about your corals absorbing what isn't there to be absorbed in the first place...

The other issue is you need to still export your macros. I have no idea, but isn't there some kind of limit on what they'll uptake? I find it hard to believe they'll continuously suck these items up. Of course, it could be that the level at which the macros would be 'full' is way beyond what we would see in a reef tank, so this could be a moot point....

Just another .02

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go Beasl, most of these Caribbean corals have been together with this rock in the same system style for over 7 years. The only thing that's changed is the tank they've been in together. Barebottom, High UV, high protein skimming and no vascular plants or algae used as export. Instant Ocean artificial seawater mixed with RO/DI has been used for all 7 years (so much for heavy metals).

Attachments

• DSCN0925.JPG
    DSCN0925.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,220
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
galleon":3evmjfyq said:
Here you go Beasl, most of these Caribbean corals have been together with this rock in the same system style for over 7 years. The only thing that's changed is the tank they've been in together. Barebottom, High UV, high protein skimming and no vascular plants or algae used as export. Instant Ocean artificial seawater mixed with RO/DI has been used for all 7 years (so much for heavy metals).

Looks good. How many fish are in the tank? How much heavy metals are you adding through food and other inputs other than the input water?

And how much plant life do you have in the crevices of the live rock?

Obviously It is possible to have this system for many many years. So all the newbie has to do is constantly adjust all the mechanical things, spend lotsa money, keep the fish load to allmost non existant levels, then have hidden plant life in the live rock and corals, and have a successful system.

Of you can have a refug, get the plant life thriving there, Insure that plant life is always ahead of the nutirent load, and not worry about all that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":1lb0yslp said:
galleon":1lb0yslp said:

Looks good. How many fish are in the tank? How much heavy metals are you adding through food and other inputs other than the input water?

Obviously It is possible to have this system for many many years. So all the newbie has to do is constantly adjust all the mechanical things, spend lotsa money, keep the fish load to allmost non existant levels, then have hidden plant life in the live rock and corals, and have a successful system.

Of you can have a refug, get the plant life thriving there, Insure that plant life is always ahead of the nutirent load, and not worry about all that.

forgive him Chris, for he knows not what he says :lol:

bob... you really should look into Galleons credentials before you try to tell him what needs to cause worry.
you don;t have a clue as to how he keeps his tanks... the last one i saw posted only had a skimmer and pump for "mechanical things".

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the comparison of Galleons system and Bobs system:

Galleon:
dscn0925_932.jpg

Bob:
17549_1098042988.jpg

And beanpoles (doing it Bob's way - kind of):
beanpole.jpg

Which would you rather have?
I would also like to see bob or bean pole keep more than softies for more than a year.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leftovers":8cpp7ndj said:
neither they both are ugly imo

What can I say, start with ugly brown and green corals and that's what you get.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like Galleon's... but it would look a lot better with a sandbed :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trade my reef for Galleon's any day.

Attachments

• Tank 018.jpg
    Tank 018.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,141
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Righty":26suic36 said:
Podman":26suic36 said:
i like Galleon's... but it would look a lot better with a sandbed :wink:

A faux sand bed!

When Santa plays hockey with the Easter Bunny in HELL! ;)

I like my tank bottoms like I like all bottoms to be: smooth and hard.

Louey, thanks, compliments are nice :)

I've determined that I can't take aquarium pictures to save my life.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,133
  • DSCN0928.JPG
    DSCN0928.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,133
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey... it's either time to do some fragging or buy a bigger tank! :lol:

you must add calcium like a mofo! 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":3b8v5n2s said:
Looks good. How many fish are in the tank?

None.

How much heavy metals are you adding through food and other inputs other than the input water?

No idea, since I haven't done metal analysis on the food that I sparingly add, nor do I use ACS primary standard reagents for calcium and carbonate addition. So are you going to say that by adding this stuff I'm using "your method" again? :roll:

Actually, if you look at the last photos, you'll notice that if you picked a crevice to look in, the odds are that it would have Acropora cervicornis growing in/out of it. It's a weed, and if you break a piece off and loose it, it will likely pop up out of some rock crevice in a month or two.

Obviously It is possible to have this system for many many years. So all the newbie has to do is constantly adjust all the mechanical things

Hmm... The extent of mechanical adjustment is cleaning a UV sleeve when I remember to, changing bulbs every 12 months (something your system would need), the occasional skimmer and pump cleaning (again, something even your system would need), probably less work than cleaning the front glass and harvesting algae all the time. ;)

spend lotsa money

This hobby takes money to do properly and ethically. Get over it.

keep the fish load to allmost non existant levels

I would not hesitate to put fish in that system, but they detract from the purpose of the display. Check out Bomber's system on Reefcentral. Lots of fish.

then have hidden plant life in the live rock and corals

So first you have to use plants as export, and now you have to just keep them in there hidden? Give me a break.

Having a system that allows and encourages refugium macros to grow for export purposes is called EUTROPHICATION.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eu·troph·ic     P   Pronunciation Key  (y-trfk, -trfk)
adj.
Having waters rich in mineral and organic nutrients that promote a proliferation of plant life, especially algae, which reduces the dissolved oxygen content and often causes the extinction of other organisms.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Podman wrote:

Louey... it's either time to do some fragging or buy a bigger tank!

you must add calcium like a mofo!

I just fraged the crap out of those monti's.

I have a calcium reactor and I also add kalk to my makeup water.

Those corals are literally going to grow right out the top of the tank. The biege monti on the far right has reached the top and it is growing horizonitally back across the surface.

BTW - I use RO/DI water, heavy protein skimming with a high quality skimmer, I have a fuge with caulerpa, I do monthly 25% WC's (I have done them less frequently, but find the tank really does do better with regular WC's), and I have only 3 fish but could probably get away with more since I do monthly WC's.

My next tank will be a 300 and only the rarest, most colorful SPS will be allowed therein. No monti's, no shrooms (ferchrissakes), and no rock piled on the back wall.

And ten times more flow. :D

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey..yours sucks! I LOVE macros and they even cure cancer

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: