• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Looks good. Brighter, but personally I think like the look of the MH better. just seems to be a bit more crisp. That may just be the pic though.

Last edited:

CDANN76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey gang it's been a while since i updated my tank thread sorry for the delay.
I decided to change out my 4 400w 20k Ushio halides for leds. A vendor here, FathomLed, was nice enough to give me 2 units of his leds to try out on my tank. 1 unit had 60 degree optics, and the other 80 degree optics. What I did was remove the 2 center halides and replaced them with his units, they are mounted at 8 1/2" above water level. Wednesday Smoq is coming over to do some par test between the halides and leds, this way i know what intensity i have to set them up at. so far i like the look of them, but time will tell.
here are some pics i took before and after i mounted them.
this is my tank with 4 400w 20k ushio halides.
4-400w20kushiohalides.jpg

this is with the leds. I replaced the two center halides with leds, the 1 on the left is 60 degree optics, and the right with 80 degree optics.
60left80rightpic2.jpg

As of now i think going with 60 degree optics gives me a better look, but i might have to mount them higher,Smoq will have those answers for me on wednesday.

Looks good..Richie I agree with you on the 60* optics..you can see the spill on the top of the stand from the 80*..it is deff brighter than the MH but some coloration is missing that you have with the MH..BUT it maybe the camera setting. LEDs don't picture well..how does it look in person..what type of LEDs and K are they..any UV in those units..Ive added UV to mine and have seen a huge color and growth difference..looks good gotta stop by and see it one day.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Okay gang, I have some great news, I think the 60 degree optics are the way to go with these fixtures. In my tank anyway. I would like to thank Smoq for taking time from his busy day to come by and to do some real time testing for me. I have to say I was very pleased with the results that he came up with. Here is an actual plot of the values between the 400w ushio 20k halides, the 60 degree optics, and 80 degree optics.
Untitled.jpg

richiero

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just came from Richies house and his tank looked great with those led lights on and they deff looked brighter then the mh bulbs, and the colors were really popping off the corals. thanks for the info richie

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Richie my brother those LEDs look good!!!! even do what I did (half LEDs and half MH)
Go with the track light like mine and you be very happy!!!
ps the unicorn looks so good, maybe one day he will end in my tank.LOL
I love that todd in the middle
How are those mushrooms under the MH?

lol, not my unicorn buddy, i was thinking of doing half and half, but i realy have to cut my power consumption down. As far as the mushrooms, I have people waiting in line for them, they are doing great. Thank You

jmaquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Oh man i better start thinking of something to tell the wife why i have to go to rich house lol maybe i will tell her Im going out for 10 min lol ( inside joke ) have to come by and check your tank out when your tank is 100% LED

P.S the 210 is coming along very nice will start a little tank build my self on MR

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Looks good..Richie I agree with you on the 60* optics..you can see the spill on the top of the stand from the 80*..it is deff brighter than the MH but some coloration is missing that you have with the MH..BUT it maybe the camera setting. LEDs don't picture well..how does it look in person..what type of LEDs and K are they..any UV in those units..Ive added UV to mine and have seen a huge color and growth difference..looks good gotta stop by and see it one day.
this led fixture uses
Cree XPE Blue 3 Watts x 4
Cree XPE Royal Blue 3 Watts x 12
Cree XPG Warm White 5 Watts x 2
Cree XPG Neutral White 5 Watts x 6
I think you are right as far as the 80's spilling out.
As far as looks they seem to look very compatible to the 400 watt 20k halides.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Oh man i better start thinking of something to tell the wife why i have to go to rich house lol maybe i will tell her Im going out for 10 min lol ( inside joke ) have to come by and check your tank out when your tank is 100% LED

P.S the 210 is coming along very nice will start a little tank build my self on MR

start that 210 tank thread already, I want to see it.
As far as that 10 minute thing I think wify would understand it if you came over.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: