• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Untitled.jpg

hey richie,

the decrease in par value is not linear with depth....difficult to "guesstimate" the actual number.
remember the par values at various depths also decrease from the center out towards the edge of the coverage. and don't forget the overlapping area from multiple units.

i have an apogee par meter with the sensor mounted on a pvc that can be adjusted to any depth....(my tank is 27" deep with bb). also i think i have a better way of "par mapping" the tank. you're more than welcome to borrow the meter and i'll show you how to map your tank in 10 mins.

jmaquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Will take pics and start it up oh and i end up going with a real nice MH unit ( due to money ) but must say Im very happy with the tank over all think i will hold of for a few months and start getting a few coral to add color to the tank (just a fyi started a AI VEGA unit savings account lol)

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
hey richie,

the decrease in par value is not linear with depth....difficult to "guesstimate" the actual number.
remember the par values at various depths also decrease from the center out towards the edge of the coverage. and don't forget the overlapping area from multiple units.

i have an apogee par meter with the sensor mounted on a pvc that can be adjusted to any depth....(my tank is 27" deep with bb). also i think i have a better way of "par mapping" the tank. you're more than welcome to borrow the meter and i'll show you how to map your tank in 10 mins.
Tom we only took readings from center of bulb straight down, and only had 1 bulb running for the halide and placed the 60 degree optics in place of the halide, and replaced with 80 degree optics in the same location, from the 60 degree optic. But i will gladly take you up on the offer to test over again using your meyhod, let me know when you are available.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Will take pics and start it up oh and i end up going with a real nice MH unit ( due to money ) but must say Im very happy with the tank over all think i will hold of for a few months and start getting a few coral to add color to the tank (just a fyi started a AI VEGA unit savings account lol)
Nice, come over and get some frags for your tank, I need to trim back anyway.

jmaquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Dont tell me to come over lol ( just started to warm the car up ) lol if you do have a few frags to spare let me know when your free and lets make it happen and dont think i forgot about the blue ribbon eel once hes PH problem is under control let me know ok

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Juvi achilles right? And i have Q for you are luner LEDs ok to leave on at night or better to leave tank pitch black at night ? And what time frame do you recommend for MH and T 5 to be on during day ?
yes. as far as lighting goes, I follow the lunar calender for my tank every month. http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases_calendar.phtml.
for the mh what i run on my tank is 8 hours of halide and 1 hour before and 1 hour after my led strips.
what t5 are you running, and what bulbs?

CDANN76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
this led fixture uses
Cree XPE Blue 3 Watts x 4
Cree XPE Royal Blue 3 Watts x 12
Cree XPG Warm White 5 Watts x 2
Cree XPG Neutral White 5 Watts x 6
I think you are right as far as the 80's spilling out.
As far as looks they seem to look very compatible to the 400 watt 20k halides.

Looks great so far Richie ,trust me I'm lovin it ,you know I love my LED`s.( DIY all the way)....I may get flamed for this and I don't mean to bust your hump or piss people off...BUT RB/BLU & WW/NW combos will grow you coral but in the long run coloration will drop off/fade(from experience ).. you need a more broad spectrum..I would recommend LED`s in the UV (410-420 nm) and cyan 420-590 nm).. .see sanjays results of LED testing and rapids nm charts on there LED`S... I only have the best intentions with this info so your tank can be as awesome with LED`s as it is with the Halides..Again can't wait to see this bad boy in person..
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/aafeature

Last edited:

Mike's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey Richie,
this is Mike from NJ. I am still away on vacation in Italy just checking in on MR. My buddy watching over my tank tells me the Fathom LED lights on the 300gallon tank look amazing. Corals are popping and full of color.
I enjoyed reading your review of the LEDs. Have you made a decision to go with the Fathom LEDs?

BTW I told the wife about the new tank the first day I arrived in Italy. I showed her pictures. I was really worried that she would castrate me in my sleep. Much to my surprise she actually loves the tank. Talk with you soon.

Cant wait to add the BT to my system.

Take care
Mike

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
On August 6th, I had the pleasure of trying out 2 led units over my tank, one was with 60 degree optics, and the other was with 80 degree optics. ( Thank You Fathom Led) I had tested the units for par readings for both optics and I was very happy with them. Now that the tank ran with them for over 3 weeks, I decided to change out all my halides to led's.
The install took place August 22, and I decided to go with the 60 degree optics, and have the units raised 10" above water level. I ended up with 8 units spaced out 6 1/2" from each other. I put 5 units in the front and 3 units in the back. Here are some pictures of them over the tank. I will Have better shots of the tank soon, I promise.
Enjoy.
ftswled8242012.jpg

leftside82412.jpg

center82412.jpg

right82412.jpg

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Hey Richie,
this is Mike from NJ. I am still away on vacation in Italy just checking in on MR. My buddy watching over my tank tells me the Fathom LED lights on the 300gallon tank look amazing. Corals are popping and full of color.
I enjoyed reading your review of the LEDs. Have you made a decision to go with the Fathom LEDs?

BTW I told the wife about the new tank the first day I arrived in Italy. I showed her pictures. I was really worried that she would castrate me in my sleep. Much to my surprise she actually loves the tank. Talk with you soon.

Cant wait to add the BT to my system.

Take care
Mike
Mike I was worried you were going to be thrown of the Gandola when you were their.
Hope to see you son.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: