• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
With my electric bills being sky high, i decided to take down my 4 400w halides, and replace them with 2 250w halides on a light rail. After mounting the light rails I went from having 8" clearance from my pendants, to 2". I thought that by reducing the wattage it would be equal. Well I was wrong.
1- The temps went up by 2 degrees. Even thought I had a fan controlled by my ac3.
2- Noticed corals that were closer to water level started to bleach.
Now back to the drawing board, I will post picks shortly.

how much was your electric bill?
mine was 810 .....:irked:.....can't bring myself to convert to led. i'm old school....love the metal halides. tried the led's on smaller tanks but they just don't cut it for me.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
810 $ my mom would make me break done my tank

lol.....i wish my mom were still paying the bills.....but then it would suck to have to break down the tanks.
good thing we have a "don't ask don't tell" policy in our house.
the wife doesn't ask about my tank expenses and i don't ask about her spa/hair/nail/shoes/bags/clothes/jewelry/lunch expenses......lol.
hmmmmm....she's getting a better deal isn't she.:scratchch:irked:

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
With my electric bills being sky high, i decided to take down my 4 400w halides, and replace them with 2 250w halides on a light rail. After mounting the light rails I went from having 8" clearance from my pendants, to 2". I thought that by reducing the wattage it would be equal. Well I was wrong.
1- The temps went up by 2 degrees. Even thought I had a fan controlled by my ac3.
2- Noticed corals that were closer to water level started to bleach.
Now back to the drawing board, I will post picks shortly.

That's why I went to LED's (Electric bill & heat)

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
lol.....i wish my mom were still paying the bills.....but then it would suck to have to break down the tanks.
good thing we have a "don't ask don't tell" policy in our house.
the wife doesn't ask about my tank expenses and i don't ask about her spa/hair/nail/shoes/bags/clothes/jewelry/lunch expenses......lol.
hmmmmm....she's getting a better deal isn't she.:scratchch:irked:

I hate having to give ConEd more than I have too, I can't stand them.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
As you guys know that this summer was a killer for our tanks, and with high electric bills, I decided to try something out, I took down my 4 400w halides and replaced them with 2 250 halides on a light rail. going from 400 at 10" above water line to 2" above water line on the 250 was very close in par, not sure exactly but I could tell from my coral. Well that ran for about a month, and the coral nor did I like it, so now back to having 4 halides over my tank but at 250w instead of 400w.
Now for another update, I had an old sump laying around (42x18x16), and got bored last night so with a little thinking and some tools came up with another addition to my fuge.
4bulkhead-4.jpg

4bulkhead-2.jpg

4bulkhead-1.jpg

4bulkhead-3.jpg

4bulkhead-5.jpg

4bulkhead.jpg

4bulkheadreducedto1.jpg

parts.jpg

spraybarinstalled.jpg

sumpwithwatermarkings35gallonstotal.jpg

oldsump.jpg

sideview.jpg

lenghtview.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: