• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora hirisuta is probably the fastest growing coral (at least in this tank) I've had. Here are pics taken the day I got it and less than a month later.

BTW, charles, I'm breaking down my old tank and selling the stand and canopy.

Attachments

• dscn2899.jpg
    dscn2899.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 4,302
  • dscn2431.jpg
    dscn2431.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 4,299

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that little thing is growing nicely... hard to tell that they grow much at all until you compare them to older pics. So when are you getting those Helfrechis or are you content just having one as your avatar?

-AM-

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the marine center hasn't forgotten about me....as soon as another one comes in they'll send them off. I'm pretty impatient though. If I see a pair of purple or regular firefish in town I'll probably just snatch them up.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a regular firefish yesterday. It settled down in the goby's hole after a bit of a disagreement, and now they share it. Sort of like Mother Theresa and Ghandhi arguing over a parking space....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A comparison of my acropora today and when I added it. Very slow growth, if any at all, but it hasn't lost color, and it's polyps are certainly expanded.

Attachments

• acropora1.jpg
    acropora1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4,253
  • dscn2951.jpg
    dscn2951.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4,251
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and some Pocillopora damicornis. It was looking super bushy today. I moved this tank across a hallway to a new office yesterday and the corals didn't seem to mind the move, even though I drained the entire tank. I also discovered there are only about 4 gallons of actual water volume in this tank, including in the sump/refugium.

Attachments

• dscn2953.jpg
    dscn2953.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,252

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt. what an excellent array of SPS's, especially that acro. Nice color retention!! Mine are a little purple on the tips, near the light, but the base has browned out and still displays good polyp extension. You are just using calc/alk supp't or are there other additives you are providing>?

Nice

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B, I just add Kalkwasser for topoff. No buffer or anything else added, but a 5% or so WC weekly. I add baby brine, DTs phytoplankton, and the 2 smallest sizes of Golden Pearls for food, and the natural plankton in the seawater. The cool thing is that the acro is almost on the substrate--this LOA light is really suitable for SPS, even 8 inches or so away from the bulb.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a comparison of the purple montipora colony now and around 2 months ago.

Attachments

• dscn3038.jpg
    dscn3038.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 4,168
  • dscn2429[3].jpg
    dscn2429[3].jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,174
  • dscn3040.jpg
    dscn3040.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 4,171

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth of your sps is outstanding. Only the tips of mine are purple, and you've been able to have the whole colony hold its color and actually get deeper since they were introduced. Do you feel there is anything special you are doing to get such good color retention from the SPS. You upgraded to the LOA setup right or are you still using the 13w PC's?

Nice pump nice purples!

B

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth of your sps is outstanding. Only the tips of mine are purple, and you've been able to have the whole colony hold its color and actually get deeper since they were introduced. Do you feel there is anything special you are doing to get such good color retention from the SPS? You upgraded to the LOA setup right or are you still using the 13w PC's

Nice pump and nice purples!

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B-
I've always had one LOA light and one 13 W actinic PC. I don't really attribute the color retention to any one feature, just good water and lighting. If anything, though, the use of natural seawater can only be helping.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the Elkhorn Monti today, and the last time I took a pic.

Attachments

• dscn2899[1].jpg
    dscn2899[1].jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 4,102
  • dscn3132.jpg
    dscn3132.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 4,101
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same comparison with the acropora frag.

Attachments

• dscn2951[1].jpg
    dscn2951[1].jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4,099
  • dscn3131.jpg
    dscn3131.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 4,101

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: