• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pics of my eclipse 6, modified to keep SPS corals. I added a 65 W LOA 6500K bulb as well as a 13 W combo PC. The sump has two maxijets (295 and 160 gph) on a wavemaker. The evaporation topoff is controlled by a Kent float valve and pumped in by a little minijet. The hood is cooled by two Nexfan brand computer fans. The tank and sump are separated by 2 3/4" and one 1" bulkheads.

Attachments

• dscn2007.jpg
    dscn2007.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 10,356
  • dscn2008.jpg
    dscn2008.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 10,407
  • dscn2009.jpg
    dscn2009.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 10,408

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch ouch ouch that is a stinger setup with several outstanding features just like vulkum's. On your setup Wombat the LIGHTING upgrade is going to work wonders, its very very bright and keeping in that hood does wonders for the looks! Outstanding custom job on the topoff, its now become no hassle whatsoever with the way its tapped into the reef display.

Can you imagine putting $400 in coral specimens in there--all pink, green, purple acropora and montipora? Ill bet your sps take off right from the start with regular calcium /alk maintenance. What a design, the doors are wide open to whatever you want to keep in there.

Brandon

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you keep the electronics of that LOA PC cool. That unit is made to be used outside so it runs hot. Since it cost only $30, the unit is made pretty cheaply. The light coming off of it is amazing tho, isn't it? :)

The longest I've ever been able to keep one of those units functioning is 1 year and then I have to trash the entire thing and buy a new one as the electronics fry.

hth

Shane

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more quick question for you... what do you plan on dosing with? I'm considering the possibility of putting SPS in my new one.

-AM-

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback guys, and I'm glad to hear that about the LOA light so I can plan ahead. I have 2 fans blowing, one in and one out, and the tank is in a thermally controlled lab building (constant 75) so I think temp will be OK. I just set up the tank last night with sand and rock from Rob Toonen's old 55 gallon tank. There's an amazing amount of life already in there. I plan on topping off with DI water with maybe a little Kalk in there. I can easily do a 50% water change once a week with natural sea water so that should take care of all my params like Ca, Alk, etc. I'll hope to post some pictures soon of it and my friend Mike Mutalipassi's tank as well.

BTW, Arlan, I drilled those holes myself with hole saws and a little 3 in 1 oil. No cracks! I had to put 3 rubber washers on each bulkhead--one on each side and in between the tank and sump.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm, you mean to say you are within transportation distance to Rob Toonen? How do you know him good enough to bum sand and LR off him?!?! That is neat!

:)

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon,
Yeah Rob is a great guy! He donated a few frags to me and ReefRian's tank as well. He has always been more than willing to talk reefs whenever I needed some advice. Unfortunately, I think he is leaving Davis soon... I think Matt might know more about that though.

-AM-

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We work at the same university in the same building, so it's actually walking distance! Rob IS leaving soon, and he can't take his livestock with him so he was nice enough to give me and some other lucky folks all his reef stuff.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank the first day (the second picture :) ). I've found an abalone, five small asexual starfish (you can see one on the front glass), tons of feather dusters, bristleworms, and amphipods. The tank was set up Thursday, Feb 27. I've got the tank on 7 hours of light right now. The first pic is of a Stichodactyla mertensii with A. ocellaris clowns in our 120 gallon reef. The carpet has been in captivity for 15 years now.

Attachments

• mattstank.jpg
    mattstank.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 10,065
  • s.mertensii.jpg
    s.mertensii.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 10,092

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE SANDBED! I like that deep sand bed, with your regular feedings it will be chock full of worm tracks in the coming months. I can see nice pod biodiversity coming for this reef in the future.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped this pic today. The xenia is visible in the foreground.

Attachments

• dscn2056.jpg
    dscn2056.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 9,942

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was taken today. I added some green sinularia, a gorgonian, and sarcophyton today. They look pretty ratty, but the xenia looks a lot better. The other pic is of Mike Mutalipassi's (bleeding blue) tank.

Attachments

• mikes6tank.jpg
    mikes6tank.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 9,709
  • sarcophyton.jpg
    sarcophyton.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 9,739
  • sinularia&gorgonian.jpg
    sinularia&gorgonian.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 9,835

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some smaller sized pics of the softies after a day, looking much better.

Attachments

• leather.jpg
    leather.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 9,616
  • sinu.jpg
    sinu.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 9,641

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arlan, it did really well in the main tank with high current in between two CA-2200 powerheads 3 feet away on either side. They were on a wavemaker to alternate flow. It was also in front of the spraybar from the return. It was fed a mixture of various sized golden pearls and tahitian blend, (a phytoplankton substitute).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: