• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Well. The filter floss helped. I do not see it being a good lond term solution for two reasons. First it will trap crud and get nasty over time. Second between it and the mouse pads my skimmer is now boyant when I shut it off and it falls to the side. Still looking for a long term solution.

I added 10lbs of fresh live rock to the system last night. Nothing exciting just so Fiji stuff.

I will be ordering one of the tunze 6200's this Fruday, a complete set of test kits and a cleaning magnet. I am going to get the algae free but can not decide on the hammer head or tiger. I have 1/2" thick glass.

A

Anonymous

I need to get the test kits. Wife and kids keep asking "when can we add a fish?"

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":2nl9b7bv said:
Yeah, we want fish soon! :D

Do you have any first corals in mind??

Not really, maybe an orange cap or some other hardy SPS.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will this be a SPS only or mixed with mostly SPS?

I am going with mixed but mainly SPS.

Hey I dont need your chiller anymore. I am buying a used one from where I work. I think it is a CurrentUSA 1/3 horse with a contorller.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pwj1286":reosrj20 said:
will this be a SPS only or mixed with mostly SPS?

I am going with mixed but mainly SPS.

Hey I dont need your chiller anymore. I am buying a used one from where I work. I think it is a CurrentUSA 1/3 horse with a contorller.

Mixed with mostly SPS. How is George's SPS and LPS selections these days. I'm planning on passing through after Thanksgiving and buying some stuff. Since he has good prices and I will be in Metairie visiting family anyway.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have a leather hitch hiker. I tried taking a pic, but since my camer's LCD screen is busted I can not make adjustments to get a good shot. Unless it is to far gone I think it will make it since I only added 8 lbs of fresh rock to about 170 lbs in 150 gallons. The skimmer has been skimming, but not much. I was not planning on leathers but if it makes it I guess I can make one exception.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started running the actinic lighting last night. Going to go a few days with just them for 4 hours. I'm going to start running the MH's this weekend (I need to get some extension cords and timers first) for an hour each to see how things go. Would have took some pictures, but I was having camera issues.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now comes the hard part. I have to wait to put stuff in the tank. I finished all the "wiring" for the lights today. Meaning I ran the extension cords and plugged in the timers, etc.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting is hard. I sure that as an experienced reefer you wont forget to QT everything. Other wise you may end up with red bugs like me. I am waiting patiently to treat my tank. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my 6200 stream this weekend. Should have it mid week along with test kits and a hammerhead cleaner magnet. More waiting. Considering how little skimate my skimmer is pulling out I think the cycle is going to be mild and not take to long.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hitch hiking leather did not make it. I when "sweeping" with a MJ it blew to dust when I accidently hit it with the stream. Guess it was on the way out any way.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stream installed last night. Glad I went with the hammerhead. It is quite strong.

stream_front_201.jpg

stream_side_174.jpg

Tested the water last night. No NO4, and the NO2 and NO3 are not bad. Looks like the cycle will be a mild one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":3cmvcbe7 said:
Yeah, it looks very good!

Are you keeping the pipes for the penductors that low?

Keep the pics coming! :D

When I do my first water change I plan on trimming an inch or so off of them.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark,

Since you're planning on keeping a mixed, SPS dominated reef, maybe you could try a 'twin peaks' formation with your rockwork. Similar to what Paletta describes here:

twinpeaks.jpg

You'll have more surface area to work with when you open up more live rock with two peaks for SPS, instead of the one wall. You can start the channel from the bottom of the overflow, creating a nice, lower flow area for LPS and clams.

HTH

Karl

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: