• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, Mark!

Stare at it for a few days, and see how you feel about it afterwards. If you find that it's a bit too symmetrical, you could lower one of the peaks.

This way, you could put encrusting corals at the top of the higher peak. The top of the lower peak would allow more room to grow for branching corals.

Just a thought :D

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it too. One other suggestion would be to make one of the piles be more towards the front of the tank. Basically, one not stacked against the back wall as to give it a little more depth. Just another thought. :wink:

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... Your structure is as tall as mine. I wonder if it wont cause height problems as corals start to fill in. I worry for mine as I dont want to have to frag things just because they are growing well.
Then again, that might not be such a bad thing.
Looking good BTW. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the two peak idea, and I was gonna do something similar, but I was planning kind of what BT was saying. One peak in the front and a little shorter, and one tall peak in the back. I have my overflow offest to one side so I was going to use that as the back rest for my tall back peak.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unarce":2tgbp63u said:
Very nice, Mark!

Stare at it for a few days, and see how you feel about it afterwards. If you find that it's a bit too symmetrical, you could lower one of the peaks.

This way, you could put encrusting corals at the top of the higher peak. The top of the lower peak would allow more room to grow for branching corals.

Just a thought :D

Thanks Karl. The symetrical part does not really bother me. Hopefully I can find a couple of nice tabling corals to grow into the gap. For the peaks I was thinking I could put slower growers up there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":3nf2bhd5 said:
I like it too. One other suggestion would be to make one of the piles be more towards the front of the tank. Basically, one not stacked against the back wall as to give it a little more depth. Just another thought. :wink:

Somthing to think about. The rocks are bassicall wht you see. Not much supporting it from behind so I have to lean up against the back and overflow to make it stable.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":2xxcht5h said:
Hmmm... Your structure is as tall as mine. I wonder if it wont cause height problems as corals start to fill in. I worry for mine as I dont want to have to frag things just because they are growing well.
Then again, that might not be such a bad thing.
Looking good BTW. :)

If I have to frag things because they are growing well I do not think I will complain much.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranger":2qdxdgfo said:
I like the two peak idea, and I was gonna do something similar, but I was planning kind of what BT was saying. One peak in the front and a little shorter, and one tall peak in the back. I have my overflow offest to one side so I was going to use that as the back rest for my tall back peak.

The rock stacks are only one layer deep so I need to lean it against somthing for support. I wanted to keep the under side open so the penductors could really kick things around.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is coming along swimmingly. Nice pun huh? Its early.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need some coffee. I did see a starfish in the tank today. One of those white odd shapes ones.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Mark. I really like the look of two peaks(mountains). I went for the same look and got a wall. Go figure. So you have it leaning against the back glass and overflow? Is that safe in the long run?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my tank lights on this morning and there were hundreds if not thousands of those on the glass. Could barely see into the tank through them all. Good cleaners though as they only come out at night really, once the lights come on they run for cover.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a perfect stack to do the "Monipora cap. Stairway to Heaven" .

I want to do a tank with all montipora caps. I think I just might. Either that a green madness tank with only green corals.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dnorton1978":26q7lr9z said:
Looking good Mark. I really like the look of two peaks(mountains). I went for the same look and got a wall. Go figure. So you have it leaning against the back glass and overflow? Is that safe in the long run?

It feels sturdy. I pushed on it quite hard to see and it did not shift.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Island look, but I prefer that the rocks do not touch the back glass much.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":2kbwj53n said:
I like the Island look, but I prefer that the rocks do not touch the back glass much.

Agreed! Can you make pyramids?
That tunze should create some serious flow with space behind the piles.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":1fg595fm said:

They are not touching as much as it looks in the pictures.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
browncj7":1cmp7thy said:
ANEMONEBUFF":1cmp7thy said:

Agreed! Can you make pyramids?
That tunze should create some serious flow with space behind the piles.

I could, but the reason I stacked it like I did was to allow the returns a clear path to the bottom of the tank. As stated each pile is only one layer thick. If I were to stack in a pyrimid I would not get the penductors blasting the bottom. With the current arrangement all the crud that was under the rocks is now up against the front of the tank where it can be easily sucked up during a water change.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: