• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

beaslbob":36wf4ykr said:
I think what is happening in both systems including the irrelevant one, is that the calcius algaes are calcium limited.

Carbonates are limiting for calcification in seawater.

A

Anonymous

so if you had the right lighting you could successfully keep SPS?

Dont get me wrong, you cant base a successful tank off SPS corals only

A

Anonymous

beaslbob":1ohhd45x said:
The oyster shells are 96% or so calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate does start dissolving at a ph below 8.

Absolutely false.

Although not the current in vogue method, it has maintained the calcium at 400ppm (385-425) and alk at 2 for many months now. And the corraline spots have slowly increased in size. And the limited corraline on the rocks have slowly increased and remained a nice pink color. I am satisfied my getto calcium reactor is doing just fine.

I am satisfied that it's not doing anything and that you know no better than to hold strong opinions on things you don't understand.

A

Anonymous

Guy":2h7wm8i8 said:
ALK and PH are too high for them to dissolve.

More correctly, the aragonite or calcite saturation state is too high to favor dissolution.

A

Anonymous

Guy":v3rxm4yk said:
My concern is that if Oyster Shell can dissolve, what's stopping coral skeleton from dissolving at such a low ALK & PH?

HClH2OFish":v3rxm4yk said:
How come they last so long in the ocean after the oyster has died????

Ah yes, the eternal questions...:lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":pjpb6fm1 said:
So let's summerize, I have ~3-5 pounds of oyster shells with 5x water flow around them. And 1 ounce of live coral.

You only have 1 ounce of live coral. That is not a lot of calcuim load on your system. With 3-5 pounds of oyster shells.

Do you need a 1:48-90 ratio of live coral to oyster shell to keep your calcium level up? That seems an awful ratio to keep.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
galleon":2ky68kgc said:
More correctly, the aragonite or calcite saturation state is too high to favor dissolution.

Don't they have a pill to help with that?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after 17 pages, is it safe to say, that Beaslbob isn't interested in proving "his method" in a simple nano competition?

~wings~

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Podman":2lpmxamd said:
beanpole209":2lpmxamd said:
whats galleons excuse atleast if were talking about bobs tank i could chalk it upto our methods if I wonted to do that galleons using your methods hmm what does this have to do with anything well galleons tank looks like the perfect biotope for a gulf trash aquarium sooo :lol:

are you for real?

what don't you understand about Galleons tank being a scientific display?
it is not a constructed for awe...

you are either trolling with this or you are not reading the responses... or maybe you just refuse to acknowledge them?

whatever it is... you need to stop it if you want anyone to take you seriously here.
personally, i think your tank looks okay.. i think you need to listen a bit more about what is likely to happen as it matures but live and learn the hard way if you like.. just don't try to spread misinformation about your methods or Bob's methods while posing as seasoned experts... it isn't in the best interest of the newbies on the forum.

many newbies are confused when they get here and with some people touting half baked ideas based on impossibilities... well, let's just say it doesn't help them get thier minds in order and it doesn't reflect well on the members of this board.

well said, pod :D 8)

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":2mrst87e said:
Podman":2mrst87e said:
beanpole209":2mrst87e said:
whats galleons excuse atleast if were talking about bobs tank i could chalk it upto our methods if I wonted to do that galleons using your methods hmm what does this have to do with anything well galleons tank looks like the perfect biotope for a gulf trash aquarium sooo :lol:

are you for real?

what don't you understand about Galleons tank being a scientific display?
it is not a constructed for awe...

you are either trolling with this or you are not reading the responses... or maybe you just refuse to acknowledge them?

whatever it is... you need to stop it if you want anyone to take you seriously here.
personally, i think your tank looks okay.. i think you need to listen a bit more about what is likely to happen as it matures but live and learn the hard way if you like.. just don't try to spread misinformation about your methods or Bob's methods while posing as seasoned experts... it isn't in the best interest of the newbies on the forum.

many newbies are confused when they get here and with some people touting half baked ideas based on impossibilities... well, let's just say it doesn't help them get thier minds in order and it doesn't reflect well on the members of this board.

well said, pod :D 8)

Hear hear...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wings8888":1akkzro7 said:
So, after 17 pages, is it safe to say, that Beaslbob isn't interested in proving "his method" in a simple nano competition?

Nah... I'll keep bugging him about it until the deadline passes. I can be really irritating when I focus properly. :lol:

I think he's softening on the idea.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wont do it..Hes a chicken and his methods wont work..thats why he wont participate...too many feet in the mouth syndrome and instead of admitting there are flaws with his he will continue to spread evil propaganda...He'll never compete in the build off.. :x

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we all donate the equipment to him to eliminate that part of any excuse he may have?

I'll throw a twenty at it.

Any other doner's?

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob has said multiple times that money is not the issue, space is. For all the "Bob doesn't read the posts" going on you'd think you guys would do the same :D :D :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read all of his posts in this long a laborious thread, but I SURE AS HELL DIDN'T MEMORIZE THEM.

In fact I FORGOT them ASAP.

Louey

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a bunch of plants, you'll remember things better....but you need
to do that first. :lol:

Sorry..couldn't help it...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If can get this to work here is the corraline being slowly generated by the beaslbob getto calcium reactor. :lol:

20050315corraline.jpg

(the white rectangle is an 11x8.5 paper with the 11" side horizontal, just to give a size reference)

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, no offense Bob, but that looks like the salt creep on the back of my tank when my skimmer was leaking...

Of course, I'm color blind, so there's that :lol: :lol:

Any chance of getting some other pics w/better lighting? Your water looks really green tinted...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":32ak3jf1 said:
If can get this to work here is the corraline being slowly generated by the beaslbob getto calcium reactor. :lol:

20050315corraline.jpg

Well that didn't work so hold on if anyone is actually reading this.

The coralline in my cuttle system - with no ca additions at all - blows that away. I think your oyster shells are inhibiting growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: