• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am building a new 5 gallon Nano tank. The tank was setup just 3 days ago here are the pic.

022306-1.jpg
[/img]

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skylab nice to see you and the new tank! Clean setup, as long as you keep that corner filter clean of detritus at every water change I think the setup should run as-is (**considering the above pic, not the following :) ). Are you going to start dosing some alternate liquid calcium/alk additives as the stocking increases?

Good start using some unconventional approaches,
B429

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks B429, I glad you like the tank. I wanted to demonstrate it is possible to use bubble filter for small saltwater tank. I don't plan to use any additives at all. The pH rock under the carbon should keep the calcium and alk in check. The calcium after 3 days is at 450ppm, additional trace element will come from the small pieces of sea lab trace element #28. I will post updated pictures everyday plus water test result every 3 days.

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day 5

I've decide to added a blue background and a treasure chest decor to the tank. The decor help keep the bubble filter in place.

Water test result are:

Temp:82
pH: 8.5
ammonia: 0
NO2:0
NO3:0
Alk: 180
CA:500ppm

022506.jpg

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to box-in the corner filter with LR or is this more of a "less is more" approach? :lol:

if the corner filter is moving too much or not sufficiently negatively-bouyant, you can also place the rock inside the container to weigh it down.

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter is all fill up, the mushroom on rock and the treasure chest did the trick. I would say this is "less is more" approach, I don't plan to use live rock unless is attached to some kind of coral.

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6

finally got some more fish in today. The chromis was move back to its original tank to make room for the new arrivals. The clown came in pretty bad shape, after two hours slow acclimation it looks a little better, I can only hope it survive the night. The tiny lion fish is too small for my other tanks, so this were it has to stay for the time been. The water was crystal clear this morning, the oil slik on the surface of the water from feeding P.E. mysid yesterday was all but gone.

022606.jpg

tinylion.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down! You are adding these fish much too fast, and in too small of a volume. A 5 gallon tank might be big enough for a single clown or the cardinal on their own, and after your tank has cycled for a few weeks. There is no such thing as an instant or 24 hour cycle in fish keeping.

The lionfish and mesothorax hogfish really need bigger homes. You have teeny tiny juveniles of fish that get very big. They will quickly outgrow a 5 gallon tank.

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

No need to worry, the lion is way too small now to cause any problem,
4 fish is the max I can put in a 5 gallon anyway, the clown and cardinal will stay put; the hog and the lion will get transfer out when they get bigger.

There is such thing is 24hour cycle, I've been doing for a while now with no problem. This is the reason why I start to post so people can see for themself.

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7

Well, lost one clown overnight, couldn't save it, at least I'll get my money back from the supplyer. There were some protein bubbles on the top this morning, after I feed some coral steimuate within 20 minutes the protein bubbles were gone. The lion is starting looking for food, but it won't take the forzen mysid yet, so I'll have to try some live brine today.

022706.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skylab1":th6ftdhq said:
There is such thing is 24hour cycle, I've been doing for a while now with no problem. This is the reason why I start to post so people can see for themself.

You just said a clownfish, one of the hardiest fish you can get, died in a day. What are we supposed to see? :(

Sorry to be quite blunt, but I think it's terribly irresponsible for you to promote this as a way to keep a reef tank. The nitrifying bacterial populations cannot possibly be stable or large enough to support the waste of that many fish after such a short time.

I wish your fish luck.

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":2mv8xxf6 said:
skylab1":2mv8xxf6 said:

You just said a clownfish, one of the hardiest fish you can get, died in a day. What are we supposed to see? :(

Sorry to be quite blunt, but I think it's terribly irresponsible for you to promote this as a way to keep a reef tank. The nitrifying bacterial populations cannot possibly be stable or large enough to support the waste of that many fish after such a short time.

I wish your fish luck.

Hello, who ever said that clowns are hardiest fish you can get? These two clowns are almost crashed to deadth at the bottom of the box with other fish on top, there were little water and no air left when I pull them out, it's miracle I didn't lost both right out of the bags.

The nitrifying bacteria can be stable and large enough to support the wates of all that fish in such short time. Of course, there is a secret to all this all you need is keep an open mind.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skylab1":2ulghfpu said:
Matt_Wandell":2ulghfpu said:
skylab1":2ulghfpu said:

I wish your fish luck.

Hello, who ever said that clowns are hardiest fish you can get? These two clowns are almost crashed to deadth at the bottom of the box with other fish on top, there were little water and no air left when I pull them out, it's miracle I didn't lost both right out of the bags.

The nitrifying bacteria can be stable and large enough to support the wates of all that fish in such short time. Of course, there is a secret to all this all you need is keep an open mind.

Here we have an ethical dilemma. Can you understand that the vast majority of new hobbyists attempting what you are doing will end up with a tank of dead fish? So someone sees this on the internet, says "Hmmm, all he has is an air driven carbon filter. I can do that." and fails miserably.

You say there's a secret why you can stock a 5 gallon tank with 5 fish in a week. How about sharing with us what this secret is, so that we can understand it? Otherwise you are simply boasting, and doing a disservice to any novice hobbyist reading this. Imagine if I came on here and said "Hey, I keep an octopus. Here it is. But it's a secret how I keep it alive." Would that help anyone in trying to learn how to keep an octopus? I am all for sharing success stories of difficult animals or unorthodox methods, but the hobby advances by sharing the reasons and methods you are using.

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":11ykigzj said:
Here we have an ethical dilemma. Can you understand that the vast majority of new hobbyists attempting what you are doing will end up with a tank of dead fish? So someone sees this on the internet, says "Hmmm, all he has is an air driven carbon filter. I can do that." and fails miserably.

You say there's a secret why you can stock a 5 gallon tank with 5 fish in a week. How about sharing with us what this secret is, so that we can understand it? Otherwise you are simply boasting, and doing a disservice to any novice hobbyist reading this. Imagine if I came on here and said "Hey, I keep an octopus. Here it is. But it's a secret how I keep it alive." Would that help anyone in trying to learn how to keep an octopus? I am all for sharing success stories of difficult animals or unorthodox methods, but the hobby advances by sharing the reasons and methods you are using.

Matt,

I agreed with you 100% on sharing the "secret". Unfortunatly, not everyone in this hobby are willing to accept unorthodox methods; in fact, some flat out reject this method. I got kick out the "other board" for doing just that, telling people how to do it so you can see why I choose not to "share" the secret unless someone ask. I hope no one is foolish enough to start copying what I did without asking how I did it, this tank may look simple but it has 11+ years of R&D behind it, without the research of the inventer this would not be possible.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you selling it? I'm willing to listen. What's the secret? Is it in the treasure chest?

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Snowman and Matt on this one no fish, or 1 or 2 that will stay small in this size of a tank.

skylab1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1xwrnn7f said:
Are you selling it? I'm willing to listen. What's the secret? Is it in the treasure chest?

No Matt I am not selling it, this is not why I am posting it. By the way, I just got kick off the "other board" again. I post the same thing here as with the "other board" they kick me off again.

The secret is call "Totally Aerobic Nitrogen Cycle" that's it.

This is a different way to address the nitrogen cycle as we all know, its also what mades what I am doing possible. Without it there can only be 1 fish in a 5 gallon tank.

Nitrogen cycle are anaeorbic at the end, this one is completely Aerobic from start to finish; with the right setup a tank can be cycle in just one day.

Now the cat is out of bag, I am just waiting to see how long before I get kick off here too.

invert

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pls exsplain how this works and how you induce that type of cycle?

but even if you can keep waste low enough for that many fish the choise of fish is still not the best surly.

imo you put your wants over the health of the animals you keep, but thats just my opin

gl :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skylab1":3t38d6tn said:
Matt_Wandell":3t38d6tn said:

No Matt I am not selling it, this is not why I am posting it. By the way, I just got kick off the "other board" again. I post the same thing here as with the "other board" they kick me off again.

This is a different way to address the nitrogen cycle as we all know, its also what mades what I am doing possible. Without it there can only be 1 fish in a 5 gallon tank.

Nitrogen cycle are anaeorbic at the end, this one is completely Aerobic from start to finish; with the right setup a tank can be cycle in just one day.

Now the cat is out of bag, I am just waiting to see how long before I get kick off here too.

Okay.

1) The 'nitrogen cycle' is usually defined as the conversion by bacteria of ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate. This happens in aerobic (high oxygen available to the bacteria) conditions. In a typical tank these bacteria occur on the outside of live rock, bio-balls, filter media, the glass, and just about anywhere where there is sufficient flow.

2) The conversion of nitrate to nitrogen gas usually occurs in anaerobic (low oxygen available to bacteria) conditions. In typical modern reef tanks, this happens deep inside live rock and in deep sand beds.

In ALL cases, these bacteria take a long time to establish themselves in sufficient quantities to process the level of nitrogenous compounds that fish produce. I fail to see how eliminating part 2) will somehow speed up part 1).

That's a secret? :? Anybody who keeps a fish only tank using a power filter/canister filter/bioball sump is using a nearly 'totally aerobic nitrogen cycle'. It does NOT make the bacterial populations appear out of thin air any faster than they do in any other system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: