• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

indireef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, fish town rocks. u other lfs's on mr pleas always have something "on special" at all/most times in livestock and dry good comparably priced to mail order, and please minimze dealin wit any level of poachers, try to promote low impact = aquaculture! :usa1: i think biz is about you win some you lose some just like reefing.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
indireef said:
yeah, fish town rocks. u other lfs's on mr pleas always have something "on special" at all/most times in livestock and dry good comparably priced to mail order, and please minimze dealin wit any level of poachers, try to promote low impact = aquaculture! :usa1: i think biz is about you win some you lose some just like reefing.

scratchh1.gif

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i have to say that pics up on this site - or a website - would make me more interested to take the hike to brooklyn. I don't have a car here in the city and it takes me over an hour to get down there via subway- then walking to where I need to go.

The websites themselves aren't too hard to put together- and a basic package from godaddy or another site isn't too expensive.

In regards to online vendors I have to mention again (i think it was brought up in this thread earlier) drop shipping is huge. Not having to carry any inventory, staff, etc and having the wholesalers ship direct to the customer means there is almost no overhead- so any profit over the wholesale price is $$$.

If it weren't for the high shipping costs (as I usually only buy one coral at a time for my small tank) I would never use a brick-and-mortar vendor, but even if I were to buy a coral for say $30 online it would still be cheaper for me to get it at New World for $70.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Reefer420 said:
i have to say that pics up on this site - or a website - would make me more interested to take the hike to brooklyn. I don't have a car here in the city and it takes me over an hour to get down there via subway- then walking to where I need to go.

The websites themselves aren't too hard to put together- and a basic package from godaddy or another site isn't too expensive.

In regards to online vendors I have to mention again (i think it was brought up in this thread earlier) drop shipping is huge. Not having to carry any inventory, staff, etc and having the wholesalers ship direct to the customer means there is almost no overhead- so any profit over the wholesale price is $$$.

If it weren't for the high shipping costs (as I usually only buy one coral at a time for my small tank) I would never use a brick-and-mortar vendor, but even if I were to buy a coral for say $30 online it would still be cheaper for me to get it at New World for $70.
I ship too :wink1:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
can you do normal parcel post at the post office from brooklyn and have it get to manhattan next day? that would be cool- since S&H would probably be like $5 or so...

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Reefer420 said:
can you do normal parcel post at the post office from brooklyn and have it get to manhattan next day? that would be cool- since S&H would probably be like $5 or so...
yup ..not aprob ,,only thing the box and heat packs cost me the same as shipping ,$6 for both,You can reuse the styrofoam box for your corals.
It will be about 12 to 16 bux depending on how many corals and weight with water
thats total with shipping and box ,heat pack.you pay what pay ..till i box everything a weight it ,i can fit 2 to 3 corals in a box.also depending on the soze of the corals

indireef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should do reefer carpooling.

can someone list the NYC/LI stores that have a rep on MR?

i'm new here so i just have Sean on my list...

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<-----------------------thats one
New world Aquariums if you have extra cash
FT

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Reefer420 said:
This is so true for me! Making a day trip via mass transit usually on my day off to go to a fish/coral store only to be disappointed by minimal livestock, un-responsive staff and extremely expensive corals just SUCKS! Posting pics is like "dangling the carrot", i.e. the pic make the decision for me.

BTW Ronen you do a great job in this regard, i.e. posting pic and letting us MRers know what livestock you have in real time! :thanks:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
60   0   0
solbby said:
This is so true for me! Making a day trip via mass transit usually on my day off to go to a fish/coral store only to be disappointed by minimal livestock, un-responsive staff and extremely expensive corals just SUCKS! Posting pics is like "dangling the carrot", i.e. the pic make the decision for me.

BTW Ronen you do a great job in this regard, i.e. posting pic and letting us MRers know what livestock you have in real time! :thanks:
:D thk you

indireef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
<-----------------------thats one
New world Aquariums if you have extra cash
FT

LOL isnt that the overpriced one that used to be in village on w 8 st? so who is the MR member that reps NW here? i used to go there almost everyday during my nyu days. i think i spent about $2,000 there total to date and everything is now dead. that was like 6 yrs ago though.

what about places in queens and brooklyn? the old MR used to hav a just about every LFS in NYC listed and lots of user reviews on update threads. i don't see that here. is it like a litigious issue? like the hobbyists that got sued by petswarehouse???:scratch:

yeah, i think the few dealers that are on MR should have up to date website links on their specials and stock. i drive a windstar now and it really guzzles up gas!

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
New World is on 38th st (between 2nd - 3rd ave).
I dont think they have a rep on the site as from what i understood they are not very fond of MR.
Although i'll admit that i did pop in there today, and the guy seemed pretty nice. they had some things at reasonable prices too, but the quality of their livestock did not appear to be too healthy.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
indireef said:
what about places in queens and brooklyn? the old MR used to hav a just about every LFS in NYC listed and lots of user reviews on update threads. i don't see that here. is it like a litigious issue? like the hobbyists that got sued by petswarehouse???:scratch:
You can find the reviews of NYC stores here:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/links/index.php?c=1

See "Reviews" in the pull down menus at the top of the site's homepage.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: