• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

bleedingthought":7h6jc7yx said:
Wazzel":7h6jc7yx said:
bleedingthought":7h6jc7yx said:
Wazzel":7h6jc7yx said:
I still need to paint the inside of the hood, seal the insides of the doors and get all the hardware to finish out the wood work. Plumbing is going to be easy, 2ea 1.5 drains and 1ea 1.0 return.
Mark, what do you mean "seal the inside of the doors"? Liquid sealer, like poly? Or something like what Len did to the inside of his stand?

Also, I was looking at your stand thread, and since you don't have a middle brace, I somehow can't figure out how you have two doors. Could you explain how you did it and maybe post a picture of the back of the doors? And are you going to just use door catches instead of hinges?

And if it's not too much, I'd like to see a picture of the inside of the canopy, if you will, please. And what is the plywood you used to finish the stand called? I really like the way your whole build is coming together and would like to do something similar on my next tank. 8)

And one last thing, post some pictures of the whole thing put together and the sump progress!!! :)

Seal the door is to put poly on the insides. When I was sealing the fronts I could not flip them over to do the insides.

The door is not a big deal. I just cut the drop approx in half. On side is slightly longer that the other so you can not see a crack. Where the doors come together on one door the trim over hangs and the other the door sticks out further. I'll get some pice later to show the detail. I am going to use hindges and magnetic clips to hold them shut.

I have not worked on the inside of the canopy yet. It will be white. I am tryinf to get water in the tank so I am concentrating on that. Just got back from Lowes with supplies. Will work on it the next few nights. When I start putting the canopy to gether I will post some shots.

The wood is called blondwood. I used some regular pine plywood for the area that would not be seen. Like the top, the decked bottom and the piece to hang stuff on. Saved a few bucks that way.

I have not done anything since the I put it in the house post, except work on the sump.

For your other post.

Not planning a fuge or calcium reactor. Will add a kalk stirrer probably around Christmas.

AS for the stream.vortec question. I wanted somthing that was controalbale now and not possibly in the future and I am not to keen on having the motor stick off the side on my tank. I love to look long ways down a reef tank. I'm not trying to say anything bad about the vortec unit it is just not what I want.
Thanks for all the responses, man! Only thing is that I wanted to see pics of the inside of the hood before it's completely done. And after, also! :D

Sump looks great. I wish you good progress on the next few nights!

No problem. I'll get some shots whne I flip it over to paint.

A

Anonymous

I work on the stand pipes last night. Here they are.

Attachments

• stand pipes.jpg
    stand pipes.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,426
A

Anonymous

Here is the test fit on one.

Attachments

• stand pipe test 3.jpg
    stand pipe test 3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,284
  • stand pipe test 2.jpg
    stand pipe test 2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,286
  • stand pipe test.jpg
    stand pipe test.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,291
A

Anonymous

What is the purpse behind thestand pipe that you have there. I understand a drain pipe, but what have you built there? Is that part of the return or is it a air intake? I am plumbing illillillillittterrrate. I am about to begin assembling my plumbing so I am curious as to why you plumbed it like that. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

And: does anybody know why HD started making there PVC primer purple? It used to be clear...

A

Anonymous

Ranger":27kmvkaz said:
What is the purpse behind thestand pipe that you have there. I understand a drain pipe, but what have you built there? Is that part of the return or is it a air intake? I am plumbing illillillillittterrrate. I am about to begin assembling my plumbing so I am curious as to why you plumbed it like that. Thanks.

IF you are refering to the 1/2" pipe sticking our of the top that is where I am going to adjust my air intake. I will have a cap with some holes in it that I can turn. To make it easy to turn I need to sand it inside of the caps before I put them on and did not fell like doing that last night. It will be somthing like this.

stand_pipe_w_top_156.jpg

A

Anonymous

Ghost of Cheese Sandwich":3gjf9lln said:
And: does anybody know why HD started making there PVC primer purple? It used to be clear...

It's not a Home Depot brand. You can still get the clear primer.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call it a durso. Instead of using a couple of elbos I used a wye. Less assembly and takes up less space. I wish I could claim it as my idea, but I saw it on someone else's tank. The dog leg is so it would clear my perimeter bracing.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost of Cheese Sandwich":2e1dcn7t said:

I didnt know they made anything other than purple primer.

Looks like the durso/stockman morph to me too :lol: .

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the in tank plumbing done last night. I shortened both of the stand pipes 2 inches they now sit about flush with the top of the overflow. Trimmed the 1/2" pipe so it was just long enough for the cap, drilled 2ea 3/16" holes in each cap. Installed the return piping from the bulkhead to the penductors. As usual it was late and I did not feel like taking a pic. All I have left to do before it is ready for water is the underside piping, get a back ground and rescue my wife's crosses from the wall behind the tank. I found this window tint like tank back ground stuff, but the LFS was out of the color I wanted (dark blue). They should have some this week. If I had the background I could start filling. I figure it will take 3-4 days to fill the tank with my 75gpd unit.

Will try to take a pic tonight, but will not do any work. I got a Saints game to watch.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pwj1286":qitsu606 said:
any leaks? lol. Jk. What pumps did you go with again?

Not yet. It holds air just fine. I am using a panworld 150PS for the return, and 2 tunze 6200's from in tank circulation. The skimmer came with a needle wheel gen-x 6000

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":18a8u7xh said:
I was going to comment that you were going to watch the Falcons tonight and not the Saints and now I'm glad I didn't...

HAHA.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: