• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Actually those aren't bad ideas, I would buy some stickers and maybe even a t-shirt, but it would have to be set up like a group buy with money paid first.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
what type of facility is the server in? if it's hosted in someone's home perhaps we can all pitch in some leftover pc parts to build a few machines to cluster together?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Thank god its not in USD or it'll be expensive! :tongue1:

You're right! It's in British Pounds
istockphoto_1053621_golden_british_pound_symbol.jpg

Josh

in the coral sea...
Vendor
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Curious. How much does a new server cost?

We actually use managed services in a colocation center. So previously we had an AMD Athlon XP 2600 @$162/month. The new server will probably be a Dual Opteron 246 at $229-300/month.

To answer another question, we are not currently having any bandwidth or storage issues, it is strictly a case of not enough processing power to deliver all the features we use here. We could remove certain aspects of the site (namely static URLs, external search engine visibility and the heavier AJAX pieces like Reef Graffiti) but that wouldn't be much fun.

Attached is a screenshot of our processor, it runs this way most of the day :irked:

Attachments

• cpu.png
    cpu.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 157
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Site Admin,
I have been a Manhattanreefs member just for a short time and like what you are doing. I have donated $20 but might be able to help more.
I manage large Data Centers and might be able to help with hardware’s upgrades.
Please let me know if you are interested.
Ben.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: