• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Trana

Administrator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends,

Manhattan Reefs needs your help.

We have been a totally free site since day 1. The amazing generosity of our members has permitted us to grow tremendously in the last 5 years. Unfortunately, we are getting close to a pressure point, specifically, the server that runs this site is EXTREMELY overburdened. We continue to add more cool features, we continue to attract new members, a few people have taken up permanent residence on this site, etc...

Just a few technical notes:
  • This site runs on 1 server.
  • There are no other sites on this server, so whatever we are using is strictly MR related.
  • The single, lonely, solitary processor runs at 80-100% normally.
  • We can't continue at this pace without the server exploding into a ball of flames (yes, these are all technical terms).
  • We need more horsepower, now.
Up until this point we have never asked or pushed for donations. The only things pressuring you to donate are the two buttons on the homepage and the cute donor icon you get next to your name when you donate. Basically, we hope that you will want the icon bad enough to donate (and hopefully your reef buddies will make fun of you until you do it).

We raise money at our events, through sponsorship, and primarily through donors. The goal is to cover the operating expenses with the donations and use the other funds to organize more and more "cooler" events. To put our needs in perspective, we can count the total number of donors in the month of August on one hand (and we lost three fingers on said hand in a rare frag cutting incident several years ago).

Starting soon, the amount each user donated will be decreased by a certain amount daily. Let's estimate that it will be around 5-10 cents per day, if you donate the $20 suggested annual amount, that will cover you all year. If the amount donated gets down to zero, you will no longer have the cute donor icon next to your name. You can continue to visit the site, post messages, chit chat, etc, but no donor icon or soup for you.

If you have donated to us, our utmost gratitude for supporting this community when we really sucked, those days are long gone. We have a lot of cool things to do, places to see, people to meet. If you like this place, try and give what you can, every bit helps.

If you haven't donated yet it's really easy and you can do it in under a minute with Paypal or a credit card:

DONATE HERE

We thank you for continuing to be a valuable member of our growing community.

:grouphug:

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Josh,

I am going to include the prior donation together with this donation via Paypal. Hope we can resolve some of the server issues we have been encountering.

Thanks.

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Done :) I feel so guilty that it took this long to donate being that I have been on here every day since I joined for hours upon hours. I guess I am one of the ones who have taken up residence here. This site is awesome and the people are the best. I would like to thank T and the mods for this site and I would like to say that this community is the absolute best online community I have ever been a part of.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Come on ppl ,Josh and trana never asked for anything on this site ,as we all can see the site is a bit slow and josh and trana have been putting tons of new feature and work ,so dig in those pockets and donate $20 ,believe me ,with all the deals on the site ,its worth it

Done

Last edited:

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done. I appreciate all the support this site gives. If anyone can't afford to donate post your screen name and maybe someone can sponser your donation.

Thanks
Welby Lloyd

Mr.Blik

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others let me first say how sorry I am for not donating sooner! Chief, you are so right, this community is really incredible. Any success I have had thus far in this great hobby I owe to the people on this site.

Thank you for working so hard to make all this happen! You had me at "Welcome, Mr.Blik"....
433.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: