• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
A surveyor is a definite must for a used boat. It may seem like a lot at first but while a boat can repowered there's not much that can be done if the structure is shot or the hull is soaked through. That being said and older 20ish Grady White with outboard(s) would be perfect for what you described maybe even an old Mako CC.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I totally agree with Jeff regarding hiring a surveyor! Even experienced boaters won't necessarily find hidden issues that could mean the difference between a good buy and a disaster especially if you're fishing off shore.
You can't pull over and park a boat if something goes wrong...

EvMiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hire a surveyor for sure, but go for yourself first to look and test drive the boat without the surveyor than if you still like it go back with the surveyor. The surveyor (if a good one) will definitely find something that is wrong with the boat and than you can use the survey as a negotiating tool. When I bought my boat I can see nothing wrong, but the surveyor noticed something wrong with one of the lower units and than opened it up and found that the lower unit was leaking oil- saved me much more that what the surveyor costs in the end.

Rating - 100%
19   0   1
Thats great i dont know of any public ramps around here, but usually when i get a chance to go out from NY i sail with my buddy's grandpa from gateway marina by floyd benette field, otherwise in the summer months we go out from Belmar NJ

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My boat went in this week. I diden't get there yet to see it as I have been in California.
Another thing about looking for a used boat is the hour meter. Just about all boats have an hour meter which tells you how many hours the boat has been running. I bought my boat ten years old but it had just 69 hours on it. Now I have about 400.
The main thing about boats is that they rot. Not the hull but just about everything else in it including the plastic which gets brittle.
I have a 23' which is for sale with almost every other boat in NY

Pareef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of MR's finest and there navigational abilitys (thats DontXtripNfall, and grimreeferr)

Attachments

• june 2007 062.jpg
    june 2007 062.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 165
  • june 2007 069.jpg
    june 2007 069.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 171

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Agreed - the airshow today was awesome! If you missed it try and get there tomorrow! They also has lots of interqcxtive displays and an awesome helicopter at the main mall.
We chose not to watch it from the boat and actually drove a car to the beach (can't remember what year was the last time I did that..lol! $8 to park? crazy!) A couple of my friends had watched them practicing yesterday from their boat and said it was very uncomfortable (to the stomach) to watch the planes with binoculars from the boat..so we stayed on terra forma today but will probably go back tomorrow and watch from the boat..with no binoculars this time.

Ink..did you go out to the ocean to watch or did you stay in the channel?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: