• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jolieve":374n2qqu said:
Yeah, I've seen that trick as well and have considered it for my little nano, but I have no way to light it easily and I believe the equipment deadline is on the 8th...
i didn't notice the equipment cut-off date. that seems a bit limiting.

nanos aren't very forgiving of 'oopsies'. a breakdown or change (for on-the-fly improvements or corrections) might be helpful or even necessary for some people.

as long as it isn't a significant water volume increase (e.g. AC500 HOB), i don't see why the participants should be so limited. i.e. "what you've got on 5/8 is what you've got to use the rest of the way"

or is that an oversimplification and/or misinterpretation?

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like that was a misinterpretation on my part. May 8th is the cut off date for submission photos. That means your tank must be up and running by May 8th and a picture of your running tank has to be posted in your build-off thread. It doesn't look like there are any limitations in modifying or adding new equipment. It just says that you have to have the system filled, running, and photographed by then.

I'm sorry for getting it all muddled.

J.

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jolieve":bujpogsp said:
It doesn't look like there are any limitations in modifying or adding new equipment.

That's a good thing, especially for all those who've decided to go the uber nano route.

BTW Joli, your minibow is looking pretty sweet.

I had a minibow once....I sacrificed it to the Oceanic god and it grew into a 30 gallon cube :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unleashed":2zawwrp8 said:
Thanks, knowse :)

I do love my goby, I must say..but maybe I just have a thing for engineers :P
You're right about one thing, they sure are interesting fish. Today while I was at work he spent a great deal of time re-landscaping :)
Apparently he has decided that the safest place to live is directly behind my platygyra, with its wicked long stinger tentacles. Smart fish LOL I got up around 1am last night and flipped on the light...damn! the tentacles on that thing are montrous!

This contest is something fun :) :D
Just a note Gwen- those Engineer Gobies get LONG- FAST. I had one and it went from a cute 1.5 inch digger to a 13 inch long Shrimp and Starfish hatin terror in about 6-7 months...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
budhaboy":2ec2hziv said:
Unleashed":2ec2hziv said:
Thanks, knowse :)

I do love my goby, I must say..but maybe I just have a thing for engineers :P
You're right about one thing, they sure are interesting fish. Today while I was at work he spent a great deal of time re-landscaping :)
Apparently he has decided that the safest place to live is directly behind my platygyra, with its wicked long stinger tentacles. Smart fish LOL I got up around 1am last night and flipped on the light...damn! the tentacles on that thing are montrous!

This contest is something fun :) :D
Just a note Gwen- those Engineer Gobies get LONG- FAST. I had one and it went from a cute 1.5 inch digger to a 13 inch long Shrimp and Starfish hatin terror in about 6-7 months...

Yeap, I think he should be alright though, engineers don't really do alot of swimming, but I would make sure all rock is firmly planted on the tanks bottom! 8) All I usually get to see of mine is his head. He likes to spy on me, then one day I moved some rock and there was this huge freaking fish 8O I can him "dog", don't know why, just do. The only fish I have with somewhatofaname.

The pico was just for fun. My partner in crime was jealous and started his own (same little tank that davidmohr now has) and grabbed all the good stuff from the tanks I was going to steal. So, I just took some pictures. He's had some mishaps with it, like his Rainfords goby jumping out, over heating a tad now and then, and when his xenia melted away, what a freaking mess that was.

What I'm really having a hard time with is those damn picture window reflections, makes it near impossible to get a decent pict. I've added a few things over the last week, and I guess I need to up date my thread, but, mulching the blueberrys is pressing me for time. I hate having to weed :evil: I wish dog could do it for me :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sugar, thanks for the info! :) saved me the trouble of looking for it. I built a canopy for the tank today, and left the back open for the day when I can add an Aquaclear refugium.

I am still a bit unsure of the rules. I, too, thought that the equipment cut-off date for the contest was March 30 (now changed to May 8). I shall need to verify that.

Budha, actually, I am having trouble with the 13 inch thing. I've read varying size potentials on these fish, (all expert sources) ranging from 5 inches to 13". There seems to be some confusion out there. I'm thinking there could be a subspecies or another species that's relatively identical when small. I realize that there are people out there who own 13 inchers...but the thing is, I've had 3 of these engineer "gobies" in a 175g bowfront reef for over a year and a half now, and all three are exactly 5 inches long. There isn't even a size discrepancy between them...you know how when you put three jaguar cichlids in a tank, one grows to six inches overnight, one stays at 3 inches, and one actually shrinks an inch :P But I put these guys in there when they were the same size as mine is now and they all grew pretty much at the same speeds, and all stopped at 5 inches. I figure if mine grows at the same speed as they did, it will take him two years to outgrow this tank LOL

knowse, little engineer boy has decided to take my rockwork down to a new level :P I must head on over to the Nano Build-off thread and add some pics of his hard labor :) Poor lil thing worked up an appetite today LOL

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unleashed":28p76fie said:
I am still a bit unsure of the rules. I, too, thought that the equipment cut-off date for the contest was March 30 (now changed to May 8). I shall need to verify that.
March 30 was around the day when you could start filling with water, April 30 was the cut off for being ready. May 8th.. because the moderators are lil' girly men and can't hold themselves to tell people "NO NANO CONTEST FOR YOU! COME BACK 1 YEAR!"

Budha, actually, I am having trouble with the 13 inch thing.
I think most women would say this.. ;)

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments Sugar. I can use all the support I can get right now :) It's most appreciated.

That said.. *stares at sfsu's post, then busts up laughing.*

That's awesome ;-)

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be more than one species of this fish. These ones are only 5 inches long!! After a year and a half!! A tad underfed, perhaps..stunted? In a 175? This baffles me no end. Something fishy is going on around here.

*scratches head*

I wonder which "species" is currently inhabiting my nano?? Guess I better underfeed him, too!

8O

Lord have mercy upon my poor tortured soul.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt sweat it Gwen, your nano is big enough to support a 13 inch Engineer, IMHO seeing as how they not overly mobile...I'll just never have a digger or sand sifter in any of my reeftanks ever again- I could never keep any corals or clams on the sand bed- they always seemed to get buried...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LordNikon":4bvp2gof said:
rcsheng":4bvp2gof said:
lawdawg's a chick?
Uh Yeah!

Actually, I'm a bitc.... (insert purgative noun regarding a female dog)...well you get the idea ;)

:lol: I just found this thread...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":1tv104he said:
LordNikon":1tv104he said:
rcsheng":1tv104he said:
lawdawg's a chick?
Uh Yeah!

Actually, I'm a bitc.... (insert purgative noun regarding a female dog)...well you get the idea ;)

You'd have found it a helluva lot sooner if you hadn't been running around the neighbourhood sniffing crotches :lol: and peeing on tires :twisted:

Budha, I'm not concerned :) yet 8O One thing I have noticed about these guys is that once they have found a spot they like, they tend to stay put. At least that is my experience thus far. Engineer Boy has already excavated himself a nice deep and labyrinthic set of burrows beneath my rockwork. It's solid. One thing I do know is how to pile rocks so they are stable...it's the only thing I do that IS stable :) :) :) :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unleashed":3cim3r9s said:
You'd have found it a helluva lot sooner if you hadn't been running around the neighbourhood sniffing crotches :lol: and peeing on tires :twisted:

Well a gal has to have a hobby, cut me some slack!

cheeky-smiley-006.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":1vkpq0qr said:
LordNikon":1vkpq0qr said:
rcsheng":1vkpq0qr said:
lawdawg's a chick?
Uh Yeah!

Ummm, Law, it's that Ms. B to us? Actually, I passed "B" a loooong time ago, I'm now a "C" 8O And so proud of it to. 8)

RobertoVespucci

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

In my circle of associates as a teenager, we used c*** all the time. Casual slang for female genitalia. More 'mature' than p****. Imagine my surprise when we moved cross country where everyone found it 1,000x more vulgar than f***. One of those denim skirt girls started crying when I used it twice in as many minutes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: