• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JJ,
Jumping fishies aren't a problem because the hood is completely enclosed (unless of course I leave the doors open). I've heard the firefish try to carpet surf on occasion, but there really isn't anywhere for them to land except back into the tank. I worried at first about splash on the MH bulb, but there really isn't anything in the tank that can splash/spray more than a tiny drop of water onto the bulb. And so far the salt creep hasn't seemed to hurt it, but I could be wrong; I'm no MH expert. Thanks for the compliments.

-AM-

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who are following... just learned the hard way this weekend that Halimeda does in fact go sexual. Wow, it really sucks when this stuff does. Doesn't make it any easier not having a skimmer either. I basically had to spend the weekend making water and performing emergency water changes. Luckily nothing was lost. The fish were a bit stressed out, but otherwise fine. I have a feeling this happened due to the sudden cold weather we've been having. I found out my heater wasn't working properly and the tank temp had dropped down to ~74 a couple of nights. All in all this was a good learning experience for me and gave me a good reason to do some much needed cleaning. Here's some pics of the incident...

Arlan

Attachments

• cultprit.jpg
    cultprit.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,389
  • dirty tank 2.jpg
    dirty tank 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,390
  • dirty tank.jpg
    dirty tank.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,389

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more pics...

Attachments

• red zoos.jpg
    red zoos.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,387
  • clean tank.jpg
    clean tank.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,389
  • after couple water changes.jpg
    after couple water changes.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,392
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nasty. I had the same exact problem with my temp, Arlan. It dropped down to 73, but my Caulerpa didn't go sexual. Everything looks Ok in your tank, fortunately.

Nice new zoos, and the existing ones look like they're spreading nicely.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cause your tank rocks man!

Hey thanks! 8)

Thought I'd update you all on the fate of the tank...

I got married back in January and the wife and I moved. However our new apt. manager doesn't like tanks over 50g so my 65g freshwater tank had to go. But there were a few fish in there that I've gotten kinda attached to, so after talking to the wife, she gave me the go ahead for a new reef setup (2 29g tanks!) and I decided the freshwater fish would go into the nano hex. So here's a couple of pics of the tearing down process.

Attachments

• empty tank reduced.jpg
    empty tank reduced.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,322
  • pulling out some zoos reduced.jpg
    pulling out some zoos reduced.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,326
  • starting a siphon reduced.jpg
    starting a siphon reduced.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,326

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres some pics after everything was moved over to the new apt.

The nano hex was approx. 1 year old when I tore it down and frankly it was definetely time to bring it down. The DIY siphon overflow I installed on it was too small and would get clogged all the time or lose siphon more times than I'd like to admit and it was really really hard to leave the apt for more than a few days for fear of flooding the kitchen floor (which happened a few times). It was a fun tank to work with and everything did great. However a hard lesson I did learn was that you should have at least one powerhead in the tank not plugged into a GFCI... I was gone one weekend and we had a brief power outage. It tripped my GFCI switch and I came home at the end of the weekend to a dark tank and a dead bicolor blenny, a dead six line wrasse, and a nearly dead firefish (all the corals were fine though...). The wife has forbidden me to have any kind of overflow on our new tanks which I'm a little sad and grateful about at the same time. Who know what I would have installed on it had she let me! Anyways, I hope everyone following this at least learned a few pointers from my few successes and many mistakes.

Arlan

Attachments

• my new setup (still in progress) reduced.jpg
    my new setup (still in progress) reduced.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,321
  • the new nano reduced.jpg
    the new nano reduced.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2,322
  • temporary tank reduced.jpg
    temporary tank reduced.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,323

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some pics of those anemone shrimp!

Workin on it!

I love the Hex hood on the 29 , kinda like a crown.

Yes, it totally does now that I look at it that way. Haven't had enough time to build another canopy (still not finished with the first one) so you gotta go with what works.

is that a 20K mh setup on the left 29 gallon?

Nope, thats a 10k 250w Coralvue supplemented with 1 55w Actinic PC and 1 55w 10k PC for aesthetic and acclimation purposes.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's those shots of the anemone shrimp.

Arlan

...just looked at the file extension of the files and WOW 8O ! I've taken over 7000 pics with my digital cam in the last two years. Definetely getting my moneys worth!

Attachments

• 170-7052_img.jpg
    170-7052_img.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,300
  • 170-7068_img.jpg
    170-7068_img.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,299

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: