• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to show off a few pics of my new nano setup. I know its not the conventional minibow design that seems to be almost a standard in the nano club now, but it was free and made designing a canopy and overflow system that much more of a challenge. Its a 10 gallon glass hex hooked up to a ~3 gallon ACE Hardware paint bucket fuge (kinda ghetto) via a siphon overflow (couldn't find anyplace that wanted to drill it). Inside the canopy is a 175w 5500k MH (will be upgraded to 10000k when I get some decent corals) retrofit kit from aquaticlight.com (the reflector is DIY - couldn't find a commercial one that would fit inside) with two 3" radioshack fans (currently only using one). The fuge is lit with 2 13w PC 10000k/actinic lights from hellolights. I am planning on adding an autotop-off system to it later once I'm happy that the overflow design is running smoothly (already had it lose siphon once which caused the return powerhead, a maxijet 600, to empty the fuge into tank and ultimately onto and all over my kitchen floor). Tank has been cycling with only sand for 3 weeks and with LR for another 3 weeks so far. Just added a bicolor blenny last weekend :). So enough with the specs... here are the pics:

Attachments

• full tank shot.jpg
    full tank shot.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,872
  • full tank shot open.jpg
    full tank shot open.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,885
  • rockwork.jpg
    rockwork.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 3,890

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more pics:

Attachments

• inside of hood.jpg
    inside of hood.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3,828
  • plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3,840
  • fuge lighting.jpg
    fuge lighting.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 3,849

hippo23

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the plug (electrical outlet) next top the tank looks like something out of the Simpsons=)

Nice tank though

Upgrade the lights when ya can

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arlan,
Looks awesome! Any time you need frags or a maxima clam :D , let me know. BTW, ghetto style is how most of us do it on the nano tanks!

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo,
With the electical outlet I was going more for something reminiscent of "A Christmas Story" style... all I need are the sparks and fires :lol: .

Thanks Matt and Mike... if either of you ever want to come by and check it out in person, let me know. And I'll definetely be needing a couple frags pretty soon.

-AM-

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your current light set-up would grow any species of coral found in the hobby... The 5K-6K mark is fine for photosynthesis especially at the intensity of MH. Nice retrofit for sure. Wouldn't it be neat to have a small brown octopus (brown being world's worst nomenclature)--they need meaty foods but not in hideous proportions and nothing a little skimming wouldnt take care of...just think this would be an exotic thing to have in one's living room, an octopus reef tank, and it would make for some extended stare time.

FWIW

Brandon

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, an octopus would probably hide all day, and only come out at night when no one else is around. Although, I did have an octopus that I trained to get its food out of boxes and jars with screw lids. It was pretty cool.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha Matt!!! I never thought anyone would actually go to our lab's web page! I'm gonna have to put up a new pic now...

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update with picks as soon as I can find some time to clean it up. I'm a little embarrassed to show any new pics of it... plus its hard to get a good pic through all the algae on the glass!

-AM-

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pics for ya Mike. I took them about a month ago.

Attachments

• firefish and tank.jpg
    firefish and tank.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 3,608
  • firefish cuddling.jpg
    firefish cuddling.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 3,624
  • fish cleaner.jpg
    fish cleaner.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3,629
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arlan,
That picture of the pair in their hole is one of the coolest pictures of fish I have ever seen. You should really put that one in the photo gallery. Where did you get them?

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, If I was rich, I would probably buy that picture off of you. I'm not rich though, so best of luck selling it on ebay.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the compliments! Taking the pic of them in their hole was pretty easy; any time I come near the tank they dart in there (hence the name dartfish?). Getting a pic of them in the middle of the tank was the hard part. Kimichan, if you want to sell it on e-bay, go for it... use the money to buy yourself a real lighting setup!!! :wink: Matt, I got the fish in Manteca if that was what you were wondering.

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey *****, I have a real lighting set up. Just wait until next week when I post my first pictures. I just bought ten powerquad 96W and a 175 Watt. Biotch. Not really, but I do have 2 28 Watt big boys, which means 56 Watts more than anyone who doesn't even have a nano. Yeah, think about that. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. And I have 15 inch subwoofers in my car.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some new pics... the large frogspawn to left of the center pic was confiscated by ReefRian the day after these were taken :( .

-AM-

Attachments

• right side (5-25-03).jpg
    right side (5-25-03).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3,510
  • center (5-25-03).jpg
    center (5-25-03).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,524
  • left side (5-25-03).jpg
    left side (5-25-03).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3,529

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: