• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But first the xenia and zoos have to work together to defeat the infamous and tenaciously rooted red hair algae if either of them hope to survive!

-AM-

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to bump from the latter pages every once in a while to remind you guys we still read the passers-by, and to check in for current updates. Today Ive selected UnderGrad, how's things lookin'? We'd like to see how your tank has grown and matured if you get a chance to update a post and a pic. Bump bro!

B429

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask and you shall receive! These are the changes I've done since the last pics... installed an auto top off system, lowered my lighting schedule from about 11 hours down to 8 (hoping it will keep the red hair algae from spreading so fast), removed all LPS, and threw in some halimeda for a little more green in the main tank. I'm having problems with the red hair algae infesting everything, but I've decided not to do too much about it except feed a bit less and reduce the lighting schedule 3 hours. I figure the tank is healthy and full of life and there are uglier forms of algae that could be infesting the rock. Plus it really helps out with nutrient exportation. Anyways, here's an updated pic. I'll try to get some better shots up sometime later this week.

-AM-

Attachments

• tank update.jpg
    tank update.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,149

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW that is seriously bad,

Really UnderGrad that is some very clean works and the corals are bright and clear. Youve just graduated to the nano masters program :)

Matt and I have been talking about Stickying a certain nano each week to highlight in our Nano forum, kinda like a spotlight on a system where everyone can post and ask questions about setup and it won't cycle through the pages for that week. Bingo! Your it. Now if I can just figure out this mod panel...

I think this would be a great first candidate because of the changes we see from p1 to the current page and pictures. The topoff and the new corals are great additions that make this an above-average nano in my opinion.

B

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed your yellow polyps? I ask this as they do not do well in my tanks, but I also don't have the dilution necessary to support target feeding them small bits of food, brine etc. They can live on systemic nutrients (DOC's, proteins, particulates etc) but most people find they have to target feed them to keep them thriving and reproducing for the long term. Some systems with fish provide enough indirect feedings to support the yellow polyps (parazoanthus aximellae)

My colony only lasted 3 months, then they all died off. I did not know these guys were non-photosynthetic at the time...

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys are from my old tank. I never directly fed them, and they grew like that from about 3 0r 4 polyps. They're sort of a weed, IMO.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments and the honor of kicking off your new nano highlight idea.
Looks like I forgot to mention that I also had added yellow polyps...
They're indirectly fed when I feed the fishies and fed with a little phyto-plex every now and then when I remember. I do feed pretty heavily for a nano (probably about 1/2 - 3/4 cube of emerald entree every night and a few grains of dried food in the morning to hold the fish off until the feeding at night), which probably explains why I don't need to target feed.
I have been having problems every once in a while of losing siphon and spilling a couple gallons onto the kitchen floor (its happened to me 3 times so far... of course it happened every time when I was away during the weekend!), so I'm putting in another float switch to moniter the water level in the tank and turn off the return powerhead whenever the water level gets too high because of lost siphon.
Also of note... turns out the firefish must have gotten sick of each other because the other one moved out onto the opposite side of the tank. Oh well, no N. magnifica babies for me.

-Arlan

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the pics and couldnt see any acropora or montipora, are you using SPS? I suppose they would grow with ease in this system, the MH is another reason I liked it for tank of the week. You also mentioned not having any trouble in overheating, even with the light enclosed in a hood?

Matt what have you guys thought up as an alternate draining/filling system that doesnt risk spilling out onto the floor> I don't have any input on that as I have never plumbed any of my tanks in the standard fashion. We will learn in watching you guys pick a new design to address the spilling-on-the-floor problem with this great setup.

B

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of doing SPS, but decided against it because: 1.) the aglae infestation 2.) I'm lazy and don't want to bother with maintaining "proper" alkinity and hardness levels 3.) I don't want to have to dose with a bunch of different chemicals 4.) The bulb that came with the MH retro kit was a 5500k and there is no room in my hood to supplement with actinics. Who knows though, I'm learning something new about this hobby almost everyday and it may eventually evolve into SPS tank in a couple of years...
Uh, I don't have problems with overheating so long as the room temp is not above 85 F. The fan seems to do the trick but causes a ton of evaporation, hence the auto-topoff system. The hood has plenty of ventilation holes on the top, so warm air shouldn't get trapped in there.
Thanks again for all the interest!

-Arlan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arlan, I think you would be surprised at how hardy Montipora is, especially the strain of purple/brown I have. You could always try out a frag if you like...

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer again... maybe it couldn't hurt to try...

Anyways, I'm bored tonight so here's a bunch of pics. Sorry to all of you on dial up :wink: .

Attachments

• yellow polyps eating.jpg
    yellow polyps eating.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 2,078
  • yellow polyps eating close up.jpg
    yellow polyps eating close up.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2,079
  • yellow polyps close up.jpg
    yellow polyps close up.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,079

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more...

Attachments

• brown zoos closeup.jpg
    brown zoos closeup.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,068
  • two colors of zoos.jpg
    two colors of zoos.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,068
  • various zoos.jpg
    various zoos.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2,072

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And more...

Attachments

• firefish.jpg
    firefish.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,063
  • xenia close up.jpg
    xenia close up.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,065
  • climbing microhermit.jpg
    climbing microhermit.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,064

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arlan,

I am sorry to here that the firefish split up. I was actually thinking of going to pick up a pair based on some of your pictures. Your corals look great. I think you should try some of Matt's montipora.

Mike

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post a few more update pics:

1.)Just added Sticks, the six-line wrasse, about 2 weeks ago. He's been doing great so far; hasn't harrassed anybody.
2.)Also installed the float switch in the main tank to prevent spillovers in case I lose siphon again. So far it works like a charm through all the tests... I'll see if it really works when the time comes though.
3.)Lastly, I put in some pulsing xenia (originally from Matt's tank also).
-AM-

Attachments

• pulsing xenia.jpg
    pulsing xenia.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,031
  • inside hood.jpg
    inside hood.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,031
  • sticks.jpg
    sticks.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2,031

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The set up looks great. How do you get such good close pictures? What type of camera are you using. Also, How do you get your fish to hold still long enough to get a picture of them. Everytime I try with mine they like to move quickly away from the camera.

Again get setup.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ducman,
Thanks. I'm using a Canon Powershot A40 digi cam with some Tiffen macro lenses. Without the lenses, the camera's macro function sucks! And the fish never sit still for me. I sat in front of my tank for about 30-45 mins and snapped off about 80 pics to get about 5-6 decent pics of them. The hardest part about getting pics of them is sitting still so they don't get spooked and getting them in the right plane of focus.

-AM-

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: