• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
would need to see if they have an event room that can be used and not accessible to the public. Also would make it a good option for those who do the swap half day and visit the aquarium the other half. NY Aquarium is easily accessed via mass transit and has a parking lot for those driving.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Yes, you are right I did not attend. And I'm being totally open with my suggestions. When the site is loaded with more complaints than compliments it means there were many displeased members.

or there are more people willing to complain instead of being part of the solution - I bet this thread has less counts then the complaint thread - that goes for ANY internet board -

Nikki I do not attend the swap because I refuse to pay 100 dollars before I even step foot in the door.

Huh? it was $25

I know there has to be a larger place out there for nearly the same price or for a slightly larger fee.

Is this solution coming soon? or are you holding it for a rainy day? larger places cost more money, last time I checked. And I was an event planner for 6 years -

If you pay for food you get a wrist band or your hand stamped. I do not eat when I go to swaps, I would rather be talking to vendors, members and shopping.

Nice idea - adding this to the solution list -

Oh, but someone has to work and check bands - Jaaa - we'll assign that volunteer duty for you to stand there from 1-5pm to check bands.

House

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
would need to see if they have an event room that can be used and not accessible to the public. Also would make it a good option for those who do the swap half day and visit the aquarium the other half. NY Aquarium is easily accessed via mass transit and has a parking lot for those driving.

Good point - the price point is in question though. Will add it to the list as an investigative option.

House

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
or there are more people willing to complain instead of being part of the solution - I bet this thread has less counts then the complaint thread - that goes for ANY internet board -

Huh? it was $25

Is this solution coming soon? or are you holding it for a rainy day? larger places cost more money, last time I checked. And I was an event planner for 6 years -

Nice idea - adding this to the solution list -

Oh, but someone has to work and check bands - Jaaa - we'll assign that volunteer duty for you to stand there from 1-5pm to check bands.

House
I guess you are still holding hard feelings. The 100 dollar part is for me to buy 2 tickets(50) Pay for parking when I arrive,I heard it was 20, Then another 21 dollars in tolls, So lets see that is 71 and did I forget to mention Gas, Which is at almost 4 dollars a gallon. You have volunteers working the swap correct? Well then you have volunteers at the food as well. Problem solved there. And as I mentioned on the other thread volunteers should be allowed to cherry pick the corals. This is their reward for volunteering. Keep it to one coral or up to 100. I know some corals cost well over 100 so this is where the one coral comes into affect or up to 100 when buying several corals for under 100. I doubt this spring swap was planned 6 years ago. So I have no clue where this info is coming from.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Chong this is for you as well.

We can't use the cafe - it is a functioning facility and one of the challenges when using public spaces like this. There are gives and takes and, unfortunately, this is not one of the places where they can give.

House

I noticed the cafe was open for students but how about just using the table space for people to eat/rest?

...a joint effort with friend Joe Y at Atlantis Aquarium.

:scratch:

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I guess you are still holding hard feelings. The 100 dollar part is for me to buy 2 tickets(50) Pay for parking when I arrive,I heard it was 20, Then another 21 dollars in tolls, So lets see that is 71 and did I forget to mention Gas, Which is at almost 4 dollars a gallon. You have volunteers working the swap correct? Well then you have volunteers at the food as well. Problem solved there. And as I mentioned on the other thread volunteers should be allowed to cherry pick the corals. This is their reward for volunteering. Keep it to one coral or up to 100. I know some corals cost well over 100 so this is where the one coral comes into affect or up to 100 when buying several corals for under 100. I doubt this spring swap was planned 6 years ago. So I have no clue where this info is coming from.

Parking at Pratt was free, security directed me to a student lot by the dorms that still had plenty of room.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0

Um, not actually - tickets were $25 for this swap - so you're not attending saved you $50. let's stick to the facts here.

House

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Oh and Russ I found more complaints then compliments while I have been reading. Some have been removed already and I assume you didn't know that. I'm trying to help find solutions but you just want to downplay anything I say.

Step off your soap box or I'll delete your responses - not interested in your internet banter back and forth. I will edit the solutions thread to "Solutions that are within reach". Javits is clearly not a solution - not even for a MACNA event in NYC. Try and be realistic and not just write the first thing that comes to your mind - stream of consiousness won James Joyce many accolades - please think about your response so that it is providing solutions.

Also, my name us Jim - not Russ.

Jim/House of laughter

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Jaa, I think you saying it costs you 100$ is fine if that is the way you look at it, but posting 100$ to walk in the door is unique to your situation and not exactly transparent. I know of a couple people who walked to this, total cost for them $25. Some people drove from the middle of PA, from upstate NY, cost for them was more. Parking was free here so subtract 20 from your cost and I would suggest making your girl pay for her tickets and split tolls and gas, that will save you some money, carpool with other folks from central jersey (I didn't get to find anyone about that print, I was pretty busy all day). Anyway, lets try to keep it civil, no need to throw mud when people disagree.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I noticed the cafe was open for students but how about just using the table space for people to eat/rest?

:scratch:

It opened at 5 for service but the doors were open before. I don't think they can put tables out as the MR crew would make a mess then they would have to clean the space before students started coming in.

I think a possible solution to what you're saying is ask them to open early, drop the price of the ticket, let them serve the food and the space will be available because of that - I have seen this actually written into space agreements, so, I know it's an option.

House

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Jaa, I think you saying it costs you 100$ is fine if that is the way you look at it, but posting 100$ to walk in the door is unique to your situation and not exactly transparent. I know of a couple people who walked to this, total cost for them $25. Some people drove from the middle of PA, from upstate NY, cost for them was more. Parking was free here so subtract 20 from your cost and I would suggest making your girl pay for her tickets and split tolls and gas, that will save you some money, carpool with other folks from central jersey (I didn't get to find anyone about that print, I was pretty busy all day). Anyway, lets try to keep it civil, no need to throw mud when people disagree.
Yes it is unique to my situation, thus I said it costs me 100 to walk in the door, I didn't genralize the comment one bit. I was just making a point, I left many points on another thread about the costs already, and I guess I'm assuming people have read those as well. The comment to go hand in hand with the 100 is that other swaps I have gone to cost 15 per couple or 10 per person if bought in advance. Or 15 per person 20 per couple at the door. I'm not gonna repeat the entire conversation in the other post though.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Step off your soap box or I'll delete your responses - not interested in your internet banter back and forth. I will edit the solutions thread to "Solutions that are within reach". Javits is clearly not a solution - not even for a MACNA event in NYC. Try and be realistic and not just write the first thing that comes to your mind - stream of consiousness won James Joyce many accolades - please think about your response so that it is providing solutions.

Also, my name us Jim - not Russ.

Jim/House of laughter
See here you go again, feel free to delete my posts as you wish, I can see you are unhappy with any of my ideas. The Javitz by the way was not the first thing that popped into my head and you know that from the other thread, so Don't go trying to make things look like something they are not. The Jaitz was the last thing mentioned after, I don't know at least 50 other options, That far outway the Javits. And I was not the member who mentioned the Javitz in the first place. Please go back and re-read the posts before you accuse me.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
See here you go again, feel free to delete my posts as you wish, I can see you are unhappy with any of my ideas. The Javitz by the way was not the first thing that popped into my head and you know that from the other thread, so Don't go trying to make things look like something they are not. The Jaitz was the last thing mentioned after, I don't know at least 50 other options, That far outway the Javits. And I was not the member who mentioned the Javitz in the first place. Please go back and re-read the posts before you accuse me.

I am sorry - I must have missed the other 49 facility recommednations - sarcasm is intended here because you seem to be holding those recommendations hostage for your next big event.

No grudge brother - just looking for solutions - the ones you made that were reasonable were added to the list. Again, no one is here to get you, I am not out to make you look like a fool - but don't come on my threads saying you have solutions and don't provide them.

House

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Good to see you too Jimbo, and of course Russ who was "lounging on the job"

on the 2 part swap, option may be to ask the vendors to have an equal selection for both parts of the day (hard to enforce) or simply keep it natural. Those who want "first choice" will come to the morning and those who might want "discounted leftovers" will choose the afternoon. And registering for which part of the day you want will be first come first served. rather than have 300 people all at once, you can have 200 for each half, thus you reduce the crowd by 30% which is better for the attendees, and increase the capacity by 30% which is better for the vendors. It will be in the details to either have the speakers repeat their talk in each session, or simply have one for each session and that can factor into people's decisions as to which one they wish to attend.

Josh

in the coral sea...
Vendor
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
When the site is loaded with more complaints than compliments it means there were many displeased members. I'm trying to help in any way I can with solutions. I think all of my points are good and valid even with out attending.

Obviously you don't know much about marketing. Volunteered opinions are rarely positive. The number of people saying that the room was too crowded are a small cross section of the attendees. Yes, it was crowded, but complaints are actually in the minority.

Thank you for your positive input regarding how we can improve the event.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: