• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

C

Chiefmcfuz

Whatever dude, maybe a real reefer will chime in and help us all out with some scientific proof.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Cant we just set up a small tank that was formally used as a qt, remove copper laced water and let it dry out. Then add RODI water, that is TDS tested to assess if any copper is in it to begin with, than we can add to tank, run for a period of time, and test with a prooven copper test or use a tds meter. If it is reading that there is dissolved solids or any copper in it than it would indicate that it has to be coming from some source within the tank. This would give arguement for the silicone absorbtion stance, if it doesnt the MYTH IS BUSTED!

I know we have already come to this conclusion, but I think it would be a hell of a lot easier than debating back and forth, and could give forth future facts for the reef keeping hobby

Last edited:

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
ellebelle, wouldnt it indicate that there is copper present, because no other solid should be present if your using rodi water that is tested from the start?

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Whatever dude, maybe a real reefer will chime in and help us all out with some scientific proof.
Sorry Brendan, my whole reply was not directed at you. I was replying that something should be used to remove as much copper from the tank before resetting it up and testing.

The rest of my comments were NOT directed at you. I should have made that clear and I appologize for that.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
lol Paul.

Rich, my opinion is that the copper threat is a myth. I've talked to family and friends who are hobbyists and dealers in New Orleans and theyhaven't had any ill effects after using copper on a system to treat fish and then using the same tanks a few months later for corals--- granted they gave the tanks a thorough cleaning and wipedown. And I'm talking about 500g+ tanks here. Again, this is my opinion and those of some serious reefers down South.

So technically isn't such things myths and stay myths as long as there isn't scientific evidence to prove it otherwise? There's no rigorous study to prove either way.... so whether my opinion, or anyone's opinion for that matter, is right or wrong, it doesn't make a difference... it's still a myth.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: