• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Henrye

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is a very sad story. I believe in gloves. Less risk to me from potential toxins and some very nasty bacteria, and less risk to the tank from contamination on my hands. Still, there are times you're not wearing gloves and have to reach in at that moment. Each time may represent a small risk, but the longer you keep tanks, you either hear of terrible events like this, or increase your risk for infection or reactions, never mind poisoning.

As my 11 year old has learned, who wears gloves religiously, her working phrase is , '"there's nothing in the tank that can't kill you".

I hate hearing stories like this.

Rating - 100%
19   0   1
Remember most pets we have can pose some sort of danger... Turtles :turtle: can give you samonella, cat litter isn't good for pregnant woman to be around :sick: , dogs can bite :dog: , etc... but that doesn't stop us from having them, and it shouldn't :hug: !
Reefer is right, the thing is that we have to take the necessary precautions (e.x gloves, not stock our hands in the tank, most importantly .. knowledge)

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Sheesh guys and gals - you have this poor guy un his grave before it actually happens - let's give him a fighting chance befroe we kill him off.

on a les serious note - I just started using my gloves again when my thumb and middle finger balooned from lifting a 30lb rock covered with blue paly's was removed from my tank.

Cover and protect :)

House

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Im going to start wearing gloves now too. I was playing around in my tank on Sunday and apparently I touched my face and my eye ballooned up. Ive had my hand swell from something stinging me before but after this incident im going to be wearing gloves from now on!

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If I knew, I would have picked up a safer hobby like skydiving. But seriously, if we can find out exactly what kind of coral he was working on that causes this, it might be very helpful in the future if someone is in a similar situation.

Henrye

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If anyone is interested in using disposable gloves, www.qcsupply.com product #70024, shoulder high 1.25 mil clear poly gloves, box of 100, $13.52. I double glove as they can can easily get snagged on rock, but you maintain a good sense of touch, and at 0.13 a glove, it's hardly a big expense to keep safe.

BTW, the gloves are a veterinary product for working on large animals, and are apparently popular for calf deliveries when assistance is needed, explaining their length up to the shoulder (granted, not necessarily a pleasant visual, but just an explanation of their intended purpose).

I have the heavy duty red and purple Coralife gloves that seem made for handling nuclear material, and are good for moving chunks of rock around, but these clear gloves are nice for simple maintenance and cleanup, as you can at least feel what you're doing, unlike the thick rubber Coralife's.

Henry

Last edited:

Josh

in the coral sea...
Vendor
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Most ERs are not prepared or have no training with the various toxins and diseases that can come from our tanks.

If this happens to you and you have any say in the matter, ask to be taken to the Bellevue Emergency Room on the East side of Manhattan. They have the world's top toxicology department.

However, if you are very ill from poisoning, go to the NEAREST hospital.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: