• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Henrye

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So your Mom tried to scare you into giving up your tanks by telling you someone died from their tank? I'm impressed, she is good :teeth: :joke: I need to remember that one for the next death defying sport my kid tries next.

You didn't mislead anyone intentionally. You told us about not only the error, but even why it occurred, even if the explanation felt hard to post. So, I believe you acted commendably.

Nevertheless, the fact that someone became seriously ill illustrates how we can become complacent about the risks, and is a good reminder to take common sense steps for the protection of ourselves, and those around us.

The fact he didn't die, although he was sick enough to end up in an ICU, should not interfere with any plans for exercising care when we enter the world in our tanks, which we may love, but is not always hospitable in return.

Henry

BTW, your mom was motivated by her concern for you, and I can understand a parent witnessing someone becoming so ill wanting to protect you from the same. So, after you ground her, just explain to her that you are always aware of what your animals can do and you act responsibly in protecting yourself from harm.

Make sure you take the car keys away from her when you ground her. Works on adults, as well as on teens. :anger2:

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
jhart, Thanks for posting this and thank God he's alive.

Herye, thanks for letting us know where to buy the gloves I didn't put it off this time and just ordered them right away. I've been carless lately and have been working on the tank with paper cut's on my hand.
I've been thinking about getting gloves like this for a while now but always put it off.
Thanks to this I just got them better safe than sorry or dead.

Vic

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I discussed this story with my son, who is a med student at Albert Einstein. He doubted that it was palytoxin (and to be honest, after what I read on the links, I think palytoxin would have been fatal and fast.) He had a different theory- that maybe there was a cone snail hidden in the rock, or that he may have simply moved aside thinking it was a regular snail. Take care, Eric

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
You can get gloves locally from any medical supply store. I would recommend latex free (and check the box closely) because they usually don't come with the powdery stuff on them. (I have a serious skin sensitivity to the powder that they put inside regular latex gloves.) I would suggest the gloves without the powder because I think they'd be better for the tank.

Also, when taking your gloves off, best way to do it is to grab a little of the loose area at the top and pull them off so the gloves are inside out at the end. Then, when you take off the other glove, put your fingers underneath the lip of the glove and pull them off inside out again that way. That way your skin never actually touches the outside of the gloves. I find that a lot of people use gloves, and then pull them off by the fingers, thereby contaminating their hand all over again. (Little trick I learned in nuclear chemistry. :) )

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: