• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I want to do a bathtub rack build. My friend says no way but its really the best space to use if I can. I want to put two 33g longs above a 30g sump. The sump would go inside the tub then I was thinking of building a 2x4 or plywood frame to go around the ledge of the tub and build the stand up from that.

What do you think doable or bad idea?

jzwn.jpg

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
First of all let me set both of you straight. That is a badet next to the bathtub (b/c Im fancy like that). Also I have two showers the tub shower and a standup right next to it.

B-A-L-L-E-R

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
well
1 - i wouldn't want my fish tank in a bathroom.
2 - The metal around the tub will rust
3 - I just don't see it as smart, your wasting a bathtub that could be used to ummmmmmm wash yourself or wouldn't have to wait if someone is in another bathtub ;)
4 - you have company and they want to see your tank setup... You say hey lets go to my bathroom ill show you :eek:.. :lol2:
5 - you would have to make sure that drain is completely water tight, most are not...

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Tony,

What metal around the tub and why would it rust?

I have a stand up shower right next to the tub (only I use this bathroom).

This will be for clownfish only not a display tank.

I want the drain to not be water tight in case anything leaks

* I am more worried about the weight being supported on the tub.

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
If you're just going to use the space that you don't use anyway to set up a system just for clowns then I say go for it. It's def different, but that's what this hobby is about. Set up a stand/tank sump etc and just have the tub there as a safety in case anything leaks.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Tony,

What metal around the tub and why would it rust?

I have a stand up shower right next to the tub (only I use this bathroom).

This will be for clownfish only not a display tank.

I want the drain to not be water tight in case anything leaks

* I am more worried about the weight being supported on the tub.

Faucets, drain anything metal around the tub :eek:... Listen this is something you do not want to do. Or something i would never do, I love my home clean organized and no saltwater fish in my bathrooms. (i have 2 full bathrooms with tubs and 1 half bathroom).... plus my wife would prob. beat me to death :lol2:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: