• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Marek-S

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
All jokes aside , if you going to do this, you know at some point when you all done , you will like to share it with your friends /guests ( like most of us would like to do) and than taking them to your bathroom would be kind of strange - I think it would be strange to me , but I know we all different - so I'm not judging

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I'm in on wondering if you're landlord is cool with this. Yes, there is always redoing the bathroom if you ever move out...but I'm just not sure...why.

Like...why do this? Just because it's an option?

It's just...I wouldn't just HANG OUT in even my best friend's bathroom.

If it's like a storage tank, frag tanks to grow out, etc that no one else will ever see, and there was NO OTHER possibility...and I needed to do this for my livelihood/last wish, then maybe....maybe.

But, even then, I'd probably, board up the tub. Like, turn it into a table of sorts (reinforced top to hold the weight of the tanks). And have the tanks on top.
Still doesn't change the fact that it is a bathroom that is actively used....but it at least would not look like a tub anymore.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Crazy idea. But if you can make it work, then go for it. Just make sure you take precautions and get landlord approval.
And think about it, you will be spending a lot of time in the bathroom. Roommates might think something funny. And be sure to wash your hands before feeding the fish!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
All jokes aside , if you going to do this, you know at some point when you all done , you will like to share it with your friends /guests ( like most of us would like to do) and than taking them to your bathroom would be kind of strange - I think it would be strange to me , but I know we all different - so I'm not judging

+1...in regards to 'showing off' your tank, the only thing worse than a bedroom tank would be the bathroom tank

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
This isn't a tank I would show off, I want to try my hand at breeding clowns. Its just that space is unused and I figure if there is ever a leak it was just go down the drain. Plus I can connect my RODI right next to it also. Landlord isn't an issue. My only concern is the weight on the tub. Essentially I want to do like what Tunicata suggested. I would build a 2x4 frame on the ledge of the tub to help distribute the weight. Thats really my only concern.

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
ROFL !!!!
rofl.gif

cmantis!
NO MORE RACK BUILDS !!!
NOT IN THE BATHROOM

BATH ROOM !!!!
BATH ROOM !!!!
BATH !!!!!!

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
What size sump would you guys recommend for two 33 longs (stacked)?

33 Long Glass 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 13 3/8

These look like the best choices:

30 Glass 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 16 3/4

38 Glass 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 19 3/4

40 Breeder Glass 36 3/16 x 18 1/4 x 16 15/16

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This isn't a tank I would show off, I want to try my hand at breeding clowns. Its just that space is unused and I figure if there is ever a leak it was just go down the drain. Plus I can connect my RODI right next to it also. Landlord isn't an issue. My only concern is the weight on the tub. Essentially I want to do like what Tunicata suggested. I would build a 2x4 frame on the ledge of the tub to help distribute the weight. Thats really my only concern.

What kind of tub is it? Porcelain over metal or resin....forgive me the real term is on the tip of my tongue but I cant remember the name of it....it's what corvettes are made of. Research how much weight they can hold before cracking. As cool as your landlord is, he won't be happy if you damage his tub. You'll lose your security deposit for sure.

I have a better idea for you. Instead of the tub why not do it over the toilet or bidet? We've all seen the racks that go over a toilet. Do the same thing but out of 2x4's. Drain right into the toilet. .....omg.... make a toilet sump!

Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Found this on ehow:

The actual strength of a tub depends on the manufacturer and the type of acrylic they use, but they always rely on the strength of the surrounding elements that frame the tub in. As a general rule, tub frames and floors are meant to support a minimum of 40 pounds per square inch, and a structural engineer can help you decide if you need more based on your tub design plans.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
reef

Faucets, drain anything metal around the tub :eek:... Listen this is something you do not want to do. Or something i would never do, I love my home clean organized and no saltwater fish in my bathrooms. (i have 2 full bathrooms with tubs and 1 half bathroom).... plus my wife would prob. beat me to death :lol2:

I like the way you think

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: