• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kingator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
can anyone tell me the best way to rid of cyano . its just starting but want to nick it in the butt before it goes crazy , was running phosban but stop once the phosphates was not showing up on the test kit, any info is greatly appreciated ......

its not on the rock yet just on sand

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Just a little encouragement for all of you who are battling cyano, don't give up, it can be overcome!!

I've had cyano for the past two months, and it was progressively getting worst. Everyday I would try to remove as much as possible and it seemed like it would come back worst the next day.

How I got rid of my cyano:

1. Cut back on feeding (even though my fish are always hungry). I fed once every other day to once every three days.

2. Cut back my light period from 8 hours of MH to 5 hours of MH, and 3 hours of actinics (before MH 1 1/2 and after MH 1 1/2) Total light period of 8 hours.

3. Turkey basted the cyano off of my rocks everyday.

4. Cleaned out my skimmer cup for more efficient skimming.

5. Kept up on my water changes (15% once a week). Which I always do regardless of the cyano.

6. Always siphon as much detrius each water change.

7. Increase your flow, my cyano was worst in areas with lower flow. Even though I have a lot of flow in my tank I had it in high flow areas too, just not as bad.

If you follow these steps, you should overcome the battle of cyano just like I did. This is the 3rd day that I've gone with little to no cyano at all.

I'm very happy, and so is my tank. Remember guys, alot of fish foods contain phosphates, so don't feed anymore than your fish can eat. It's better to feed small amounts more often then large amounts less often.

Just thought I would help encourage those who have cyano, and give a little advice.

Good luck!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: