• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ozboy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i took the step into buy an tank after an long think about it
After reading an sum more reading on a good way on a low maintance tank i thought an plant tank would be the go ,
so i went out and bought $50 buck of ramdom plants an stuck in thier ,i did just fill the tank with tap water and stuck in sum sure start ,plant food,
i run the power head for 2 days just to mix it up and have not done it since,
It all look's fine to me now what i want sum help on is
1, what should my tank heater be on (it ons 37,36dergrees)
2,the tank is in my room so i dont want to run a filter should i or not
3,how many plants should be in thier
4,can i start stocking the tank with fish
5,i just have a test kit for ph (its at 7.2)is thier anything eslo i should check for
thank for any tips on this
if i get a chance i put up a pic of the start
to finsnh

ozboy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here the pic at 14 days
awaiting your help

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 310
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I put more plants in when I start a tank. And also some potted type like small swords with a large amazon sword center peice.

But budda looks happy. :lol:

I use no filter , no heater, no circulation. Not even an air stone or powerhead.

I would try a single male platty (for every 10g tank volumn). And not feed it for a week. Then feed a single flake per day the second week. And add a female the third week. then set back and enjoy the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the anacharis/elodea, cabomba, and ludwigia may not do too well, as time goes by....

the anacharis/elodea, and the cabomba need LOTS of light, and the anacharis/elodea also needs quite abit of calcium-they may get leggy and eventually melt

anacharis also needs cooler temps, as does the ludwigia, to do well...

ludwigia is not a true aquatic, but is rather a 'bog' plant

if you have the typical 'gro-lux' bulbs that are usually supplied w/fluorescent fixtures, change the bulb to a nice 10k white bulb

hth

ozboy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you
the fat guy in the tank pick it up when in the states at sum chinse food shop ,stuck him in there for the hell of it
grab sum more plants 2row anyone's at all (a part from the swords amazon)
do you reckon i could put a couple of red tail sharks in to and 2 platty
,thank you all for your help

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go slow with the fish and establish the plattys first.

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the red tail sharks - they're far too territorial and aggressive for most tanks. If you absolutely must, only get one as they rarely tolerate one another, and make sure he has a cave or somewhere to hide that's "his".
Consider a rainbow shark instead - they're quite similar in colouration but not as nasty.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":14kucyxn said:
Generally I put more plants in when I start a tank. And also some potted type like small swords with a large amazon sword center peice.

But budda looks happy. :lol:

I use no filter , no heater, no circulation. Not even an air stone or powerhead.

I would try a single male platty (for every 10g tank volumn). And not feed it for a week. Then feed a single flake per day the second week. And add a female the third week. then set back and enjoy the tank.

you may not use them , but that's the worst advice to give to a beginner, who is most likely NOT familiar with those issues, why they may or may not be needed, or how to deal with the possible consequences of not using them - yet you still continue to dole out ridiculously irresponsible misinformative advice and suggestions without taking these issues into account , or qualifying them properly-you're more dangerous than a troll, imo :x :x :x :x :x :x

get a heater with a thermostat and a reliable thermometer, get your tank set to about 78°F, and get a small filter, as well :)

ozboy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all
ok so
i bought 2 platties
2 red tail sharks
before i readed this,
so i go get a filter 2 row any1 that you reckonmend
got the heater on
about sum rocks to make sum caves
should i be carefully about the rocks
1 more thing is thier anything i should be watching for
thanks heaps guys own all one next time your in ozz

ozboy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all
ok so
i bought 2 platties
2 red tail sharks
before i readed this,
so i go get a filter 2 row any1 that you reckonmend
got the heater on
about sum rocks to make sum caves
should i be carefully about the rocks
1 more thing is thier anything i should be watching for
thanks heaps guys own all one next time your in ozz

ozboy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi
ok got sum plants and stuck them in
its seens that there was what look like to me two very small snails on them
just wanted to know if i shell remove them
but can't seem to find them now

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ozboy22":1ww2fnhd said:
hi
ok got sum plants and stuck them in
its seens that there was what look like to me two very small snails on them
just wanted to know if i shell remove them
but can't seem to find them now

Just let them be. Kind of a built in cleaner crew.

Every planted tank I have started had lotsa snails after a month or two. Then a year later there was a much lower population of snails in the tank. All helping by eating waste and micro alages.

Just a built in cleaner crew is all. And they cost you nothing. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snails reproduce geometrically,can reach huge numbers, and if the population crashes suddenly, can wipe out a tank due to the sudden mass of rotting flesh material-they will also eat plants considerably, if the numbers get too high (pond snails especially)

remove them- i crush 'em against the glass-they're wonderful fish food, once the shell is smashed and the meat is accessible :)

once again, beaslebob strikes with bad beginner advice, and proves how little he knows :roll: :x

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ozboy22 :

despite the "bad" advice here your tank looks exactly like the dozen or so tanks I have started in 1/2 cities in the US since the late 70's. Including your snail experience.

You don't have a powerhead or filtration yet the water is clear and budda is clean and free of algae.

So simply look at your tank and determine what is working. And at all cost do not add food the first week after adding the first fish. If you add even a single flake/day you fish will die on the sixth day.

If they do die then wait a couple of days and put a single male platty in. It will live.

And if you want to know what happens longer term check out this thread: http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60020

The only difference is Cal started with water changes and filtration. then added plants later. You are a step ahead by starting with plants first.

Yet Cal still has not done a water change, still has no circulation, no filtration yet still has no algae and has not even cleaned the glass for all these months.

So look at your tank and let it tell you what to do.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:roll:

get a good book(s) and read-you'll get a far better, more correct, and complete education

ozboy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all
i dont like the look of the snails so i might just smash um up
i dont want snails running around the tank
got a few book s but thier were'ent to helpfull
just thought i ask on here and find out what differnt people do and mix thing's up to see if works
and so far there all doing well
but hte sharks what seem to be one takeing the budda as his home an does not want to share it ,i have to get him a home on the other side of the tank ,but at least thier still swim together in a freindly manner
,My son love its he just sit's thier for 1/2 hour or so looking at them i find it funny cause he wont even sit and watch tv ,anyway i kept you all posted ,i try and get a pic of the proguess later
thanks you all for your tips

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sharks will probably eat the livebearer babies unless the plants are thick enough for them to survive. They also will eat the snails.

Our grandson does exactly the same thing with my tanks when the come to visit.
They don't even care if it is just guppies and platties. Just like to see the fishes in the plants. and remark on the babies and so on.

Keep us posted.

ozboy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all thank's for your help
just um update ,
all is well
,:) :)
anyway 3 weeks going on and not a problem as yet so i am quit happy form the advice on here you guys are great thanks
heres a phota update
,oh yeah about rocks not to sure about this, can i just get any rocks and stick them in
thank's again

Attachments

• IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 244

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: