• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I got a controller mainly for 1 reason, because I set myself up a calcium reactor and manually testing the PH was a PITA. I figured since a PH controller is not too much cheaper then a ACjr, and I can make all my messy power cords cleaner, so I bought a controller. Without the calcium reactor, I probably would never have bought the controller.
I never had any issues prior or even now (knock on wood) with heaters malfunctioning or timers not working so it really hasn't impacted me drastically.
I am upgrading to the Apex controller for mainly 1 reason. To control my DIY LED dimming for sunrise/sunset, and as a bonus, I can have the controller on my network so its much easier to control with my computer. My ACjr isn't near a computer so it was annoying to bring a computer close each time I wanted to update the program.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Neptune AC3
I control everything
except the dosers
even then if the pH rises higher then 8.52 the dosers are shutoff.
the main circulation pump is not on the AC3 but is on a powerback up along with 3 battery powered air stone pumps

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Oh yea

On the AC3 I have a pH, Temp, and ORP probes.

two DC8's, n one heavy duty DC4

I wish the the AC3 would be able to monitor the water levels in my main disply, sump n frag tanks. If it did i'd buy right away, bc monitoring of overflows or low water levels.

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just added a RKL to my setup last week. I bought 2 of them so I would get a 2nd PC4 and I closeted the extra controller and temp probe. An RKL is well worth $100 if you're just going to use it as a light timer and heater controller. I was motivated to buy the RKL by the encroaching summer heat, needing a way to control a fan and shut off the lights.
I also really appreciate the standby mode for feeding. I had made a switch for turning off the pumps but there were a couple time I called my wife to make sure that I had turned them back on.
I was considering a MLC (moon light) but opted instead to just get a strip of blue LEDs for 1/2 the price. I plan on getting an SL2 at some point but I'm not rushing.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
but I am really curious to see if people that have actually used a controller have decided to ditch them for any reason.

You see this isn't a question of I think they're useless, but more of a question of is it such a necessity that you cannot have fish tank without one. And do you need it even before you put a single fish into the tank. And no I do not believe that it is such a necessity. If I had one I would be using it, but at this moment I am supporting other hobbies as well and do not exactly see the requirement that I need a controller. Does that mean if you gave me one for free I wouldn't use it? No, absolutely I would use it in a heartbeat, but do I see at the moment that I would need to go out and buy one right away.

I would ask you guys conversely that if your controller were to fail, and all other equipment was functioning perfectly, and you couldn't get one right away would you get rid of all your livestock for fear of a failed heater or other used to be controlled equipment?

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Killerdrgn, I see your argument but heaters, lights or chillers rarely fail while your in front of the tank; does it matter when? We spend hundreds on lights, skimmers and live stock so why not add a little safety net that costs a little more than good timers and power strips. The same argument for not needing the controller cam be made for not needing a skimmer, with frequent large water changes it's not needed.

Actually that is not the same argument because the controller does not add any new life support functionality to the tank. A skimmer is a means for nutrient export and helps keep the water clean for longer, whereas a controller is nothing but a fancy light switch. A more akin analogy would be a controller to painting the back of your tank, or even an auto top off.

For the sake of full disclosure I do have an auto top-off on the tank in my parent's house because they keep forgetting to add water to the tank.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
a controller is nothing but a fancy light switch.

The above statement proves that you don't really understand the purpose of a controller.

As I've said before, stability is the most important thing in a reef tank. A controller provides this by reading parameters and acting accordingly. I had fairly broad temperature swings without a controller and my tank suffered for it. Since my controller monitors the temperature, my temperature now stays within 1 degree at all times.

Not having a skimmer can be overcome with frequent water changes. Controlling temperature can't really be done manually unless you're standing by your tank 24-7. I would take my skimmer offline before my controller.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Some equipment already have controllers. Your heater has a controller, some chillers have controllers, some light fixtures have controllers, even some powerheads have controllers, some filters have controllers. Autofeeders have controllers (in a simplistic way I know) so controllers are necessary. The industry has been moving in this direction for a while. The thing is, if you're not going to be able to watch your tank constantly, or if you are away from home for extended periods (and you don't have a responsible resource to oversee your tank) you're going to need peace of mind. I've seen arguments about the need for skimmers, etc in view of the fact that frequent water changes have the same effect. The question seems to be really about cost. I didn't have to buy an RKE, but it sure made made managing my equipment easier - plus I needed a controller for my chiller. On the other hand, if all your equipment have built-in controllers and you're fine without central management then that's ok too. BTW, having a controller doesn't reduce the number of power cables you need to use.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The above statement proves that you don't really understand the purpose of a controller.

As I've said before, stability is the most important thing in a reef tank. A controller provides this by reading parameters and acting accordingly. I had fairly broad temperature swings without a controller and my tank suffered for it. Since my controller monitors the temperature, my temperature now stays within 1 degree at all times.

Not having a skimmer can be overcome with frequent water changes. Controlling temperature can't really be done manually unless you're standing by your tank 24-7. I would take my skimmer offline before my controller.

That's actually exactly what it is, such as motion detector lights, it cuts power or turns on power based on external stimuli. It doesn't actually have any function but to turn on or off something in the tank. It doesn't actually have a heating coil, it doesn't actually have any usable light source, it doesn't make water for you, it doesn't make salt for you, etc.

You still haven't answered that if you were to break your controller right now, and couldn't immediately buy another one would you sell all your livestock. I would believe the majority of us would not go that route. As opposed to losing your lights, I would assume people would get rid of all their photosynthetic organisms. If you were to lose all your heaters, given the recent weather swings, I would also assume a majority of us would get rid of the livestock.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Some equipment already have controllers. Your heater has a controller, some chillers have controllers, some light fixtures have controllers, even some powerheads have controllers, some filters have controllers. Autofeeders have controllers (in a simplistic way I know) so controllers are necessary. The industry has been moving in this direction for a while. The thing is, if you're not going to be able to watch your tank constantly, or if you are away from home for extended periods (and you don't have a responsible resource to oversee your tank) you're going to need peace of mind. I've seen arguments about the need for skimmers, etc in view of the fact that frequent water changes have the same effect. The question seems to be really about cost. I didn't have to buy an RKE, but it sure made made managing my equipment easier - plus I needed a controller for my chiller. On the other hand, if all your equipment have built-in controllers and you're fine without central management then that's ok too. BTW, having a controller doesn't reduce the number of power cables you need to use.

Yes but this thread, I am assuming by how it's going, is about the centralized management external controller.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You still haven't answered that if you were to break your controller right now, and couldn't immediately buy another one would you sell all your livestock. I would believe the majority of us would not go that route. As opposed to losing your lights, I would assume people would get rid of all their photosynthetic organisms. If you were to lose all your heaters, given the recent weather swings, I would also assume a majority of us would get rid of the livestock.

If my controller broke right now, I'd hook up my backup controller (yes, I have a second one on standby). If that one broke, I'd order a new one that day. I wouldn't get rid of any livestock if any of my equipment broke... I'd get new equipment. Again, this is not a cheap hobby.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
BTW, having a controller doesn't reduce the number of power cables you need to use.

A typical surge protector has 6 outlets (at least the ones I have, ofcourse there are some that has more) and then when you plug the fat mechanical timers into them, they take up 2 or 3 outlets on that surge protector. And if you have multiple day light plugs or actinic plugs and want them staggered, you can hook up an extension cord onto the mechanical timer so it gives you 3 outputs per timer. Since you used that 1 surge protector for the lights, you need another 1 or 2 surge protectors for your pumps, heaters, etc. It definitely gets messy looking

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: