• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I have tried and failed at a mini-biocube setup/upkeep.
The hobby still draws me in so I dug up my old BioCube 14 and did the following:
1. Transferred live Rock (and dead rock) from that mini to the new 14G tank.
2. Dumped most (like 99% of it) of the "dead" sand from the mini to the 14G.
3. Figured how to take off that broken lid (That's like a $200 retro-fix - currently out of budget)
4. Leg-Suspended AI light over the center and programmed it (Why or why the moonlight doesn't work, huh?)
5. Started to adjust water down to 1,02x to host a clown and corals.
Current Setup as of today:
Tank:
Biocube 14 minus the lid.
Light: AI Prime 16
Left Chamber:
  • LC - Return Pump (some pump, it works, seems overly powerful though)
  • LC - Bottle ATO
Middle Chamber (MC):
  • Nothing - planning to buy a media rack or (please donate, I promise to share if it grows) some chaeto?
Right Chamber (RC)
  • Some small heater
  • Some skimmer - (Currently runs lean, but some water bubbles over into collection cup already)
Display Area (DA)
  • DA: (dead Sand) +/- 1.5"
  • DA: Dead Rock (don't know how much of it)
  • DA: Live Rock (Covered with Coraline?) Looks purple - about 740g - Petco calls it Medium
  • DA: Beneficial Bacteria 30-day Gel Pack (top right)
  • DA: Heat Regulator probe (back, top left)
  • DA: Just noticed some plastic debris towards the back - will remove shortly.
Extras:
  • Plastic sheet covering the top of the display tank.
  • Air Pump
  • Air Line
  • Air Check Valve
  • 3-way Gang Valve (1 - to Skimmer; 2 - Algae Reactor not related to this project; 3- Free, shut off)
  • Power splitter
Questions:
1. Should I try to obtain true live sand (peferably from someone here) and replace (at least partially) my dead one with it?
2. I plan on replacing that rock rubble with live rock (would anyone here have some they want to off load?) or should I just buy it at Petco?
3. I'd like to start a GSP colony on the back wall (would someone here have some to share?) - otherwise I'd be getting it from Petco.
P.S. I'd rather get stuff and inhabitants from MR community than from Petco as I think it would be more nature friendly and would benefit this community.
Thanks for having me here!
Remark: sharing the photos here, makes me realize how ugly the thing looks. I'll try my best to organize/clean up the space so it actually is looking good...

Attachments

• 20241005_213808.jpg
    20241005_213808.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • 20241005_213824.jpg
    20241005_213824.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20241005_213838.jpg
    20241005_213838.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
If you want live rock, there are some vendors out there like KP Aquatics and Gulf Live Rock. I tried both, KP was the best, even for the non-premium version.

Also these days Marco Rock has started seeding their dry rock into the ocean.

The advantage over getting that from an established tank, is that you will get more life (macro algae, micro fauna, sponges, tunicates, and potentially even corals)

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
1st Live Addition:
A Clowns pair!
Brought yesterday from a lengthy trip (Queens-Manhattan- Yonkers) That they took like champs! Temp + Water add acclimated for 5 minutes to my tank.
Out and about exploring this morning.
Tank notes:
I notice water level started to drop below Max - which is good, but it rises Salinity to 1.026. I remedied it by dumping 1/3 "c4" cup into Mid (Fuge) chamber to allow premixing before return to the Display tank. Plan on equLizing Salinity and water level in my next PWC upcoming weekend. Thinking of dumping 1gallon for starters. (Less than 10%). For Salinity - will use Fridge water and my "aquarium" salt.
Oh, started to notice algae growth on glass, switched off moon light and readjusted lighting schedule to Ramp-up - full - ramp-down.
I will edit this post upon return home tonight with proper values.

Attachments

• 20241008_204903.jpg
    20241008_204903.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 0

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Rotating "return head" died (stopped). Replaced it with the "Innovative Marine Spin Stream Universal Nozzle." So far so good. I read it reduces flow, but that's OK, since I have a power head on the front bottom left of the tank.
The salinity is at 1.025 - ideal top range for my clowns. This is after a 1.5 gallon water change (with debris suction from the bottom yesterday.
Side note - that change (my first after a break in tank care) resulted in a water drop and mirriads of airbubbles being pushed into the display tank. Oh-ho, lesson learned! Return pump will be turned off for cleaning from now on. Replenished water yesterday with fresh water only thus dropping SG by 0.001 to an ideal top level today of 1.025.
Also Saturday: prior to that water change - moved rocks away from the glass to allow for easier algae scrubbing. Scrubbed algae and then syphoned it out during that 1.5G water change...

Back to Sunday: found and setup two remote controlled outlets for the return and recirculation pumps. They work off remote control - Should make next water change so much easier!
Fish looks happy with the daily feedings of Frozen Salt Water Multi Pack from Petco.
Notes for self:
1. Keep a gallon of water sitting a day prior to exchange to equalize to at least room temperature.
2. Turn off the return pump while performing the PWC to avoid the air-bubble storm.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: