• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Sharkky":2eqlu6om said:
Yeah, but isn't part of the training and certification being taken down to the bottom of the pool or whatever, yanking your mask off, and having to put it on and clear it?
"Resort courses" may not even require this simple test.

Sharkky":2eqlu6om said:
Dave, how can I get Kelly into a branch of IT that pays more than $45K a year?!?! ;-)
I'm not Dave and I'm not really above that mark myself quite yet (I'm in the public sector too though, so thats no suprise) but IMO: If she can get CCIE certified and you're willing to part with her on a regular basis because she'll probably have to travel quite a bit as part of the job then she might be able to knock down close to six figures and maybe more with a little experience.

A

Anonymous

Sharkky":2mlq67qt said:
Yeah, but isn't part of the training and certification being taken down to the bottom of the pool or whatever, yanking your mask off, and having to put it on and clear it?

Sharkky":2mlq67qt said:
Dave, how can I get Kelly into a branch of IT that pays more than $45K a year?!?! ;-)
I'm not Dave and I'm not really above that mark myself quite yet (I'm in the public sector too though, so thats no suprise) but IMO: If she can get CCIE certified and you're willing to part with her on a regular basis because she'll probably have to travel quite a bit as part of the job then she might be able to knock down close to six figures and maybe more with a little experience.

A

Anonymous

hiddendragonet":3l0fi4yu said:
Yes, that is true, John. But if you are blowing out your nose like you're supposed to, this shouldn't be a problem.

I swim like a fish and can hold my breath for almost 4 minutes, but I've never in my life been able to go under with my nose open. I flood. I've had several people try to teach me how to do it, and I think it's more a physical thing with my sinuses. It just don't work for me. :? :sigh:

A

Anonymous

GratefulDiver":3gw1nwnb said:
Sharkky":3gw1nwnb said:

Yeah, she could probably really make the bucks as a contractor, but with the kid on the way in a couple months, I don't think she'd want to be away from home for those long stretches.

It just seems like all her friends in IT are making at least $75K a year, and she's landlocked at around $45-$50, with the same experience. Personally, I think part of it is that she doesn't have a positive view of her own skillset. She's very good with SAP and some other db programs, but for some reason thinks her skillset is too narrow to be marketable to other companies. It's been too many years since I was around the IT set, so I don't know if that's accurate or not, but it doesn't seem like it is.

A

Anonymous

Oodles of companies use SAP. I would think in Indy there are many many companies that she could check out.

Cardinal Rule of IT: THE way to increase your salary is to change jobs.

HD

A

Anonymous

GratefulDiver":36buwpfw said:
Sharkky":36buwpfw said:

If you want certification, it doesn't matter where you take the course, you must pass all tests. FWIW, I used to be able to do all kinds of mask clears no problema. This time around, for some reason I'd breathe with my farking nose! Then, of course, choke. Andy, our dive instructor, was pretty good at calming me down and keeping me at depth and working through it.

I don't think the nose thing has anything to do with your sinuses unless they're actually open. I haven't noticed any extra holes in your head, Sharkk, so I don't think that's it. My guess is that you haven't learned how to keep air in the passageways by using slight pressure. What the heck's that word Galleon used that means 'keeping your Eustacian tubes open'? Valvo-suck-u-lar maneuver or something like that.

hiddendragonet":36buwpfw said:
Cardinal Rule of IT: THE way to increase your salary is to change jobs.

HD

Heh, David has always told me exactly the same thing.

HEY! You guys have hijacked my thread! (Which isn't a problem since we still haven't gotten around to sorting my permissions.) :)

A

Anonymous

seamaiden":17wi73h7 said:
[I don't think the nose thing has anything to do with your sinuses unless they're actually open. I haven't noticed any extra holes in your head, Sharkk, so I don't think that's it. My guess is that you haven't learned how to keep air in the passageways by using slight pressure. What the heck's that word Galleon used that means 'keeping your Eustacian tubes open'? Valvo-suck-u-lar maneuver or something like that.

I sure haven't figured it out yet. :sigh: I'd love to get certified and do something other than snorkel on a vacation.

A

Anonymous

The mask clear was, to be sure, VERY difficult for me. But, you get through it and your rewards are great. However, remember this: Seamaiden will chum if she hasn't put on her patch! :lol:

And that, my friend, is far worse to do underwater. ;)

A

Anonymous

FWIW, I agree with Seamaiden's assessment, John. It seems unlikely that sinus problems would prevent you from achieving that oh-so-glorious sensation of keeping water from sucking into your schnoz. (How do you spell schnoz anyway?) But I'm no schnoz doctor, either. :D

A

Anonymous

THANK YOU!

(gotta repeat that one a few times.. valsalva maneuver, valsalva maneuver, saliva... EW! Nope, wrong.. valSALVA maneuver! :D )

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: