• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
411   0   0
My local market only carries the 1.5 pint size and I need like 3 gallons and at 5.19 a pop,it can be expensive.Restaurant depots are not open to the public either.My local Stop and Shop does not have it so can someone direct me to where I can get some bigger sizes?

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Stop & Shop has 2.5 galon jugs of it by the frozen turkeys.
If this is your first time frying a turkey.... Beware!!! And Lower it in to the 325 degree ((((NO MORE THAN 325)))) REAL SLOW.You will get a large head of bubbles from the initial water vap of the bird.
If the bubbles spill over onto the open flame.
Have your extinguisher handy.
After the bird & oil calm down a bit. You can turn up the flame a little & bring the heat to about 360. This will get the skin real crisp & it will not be leathery.
A thermometer like this will be good to test oil & bird temp -40 -396 Degrees F.
3dbb04da7e508a3b5c65d1eb2b00f58cc528689d-200.jpg

+1 Listen to CHEF

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Peanut oil is expensive. Even Wholesale.
But the S&S I am referring to is on Old Country road in Hicksville.
(My daughter made fun of me for hugging the giant container last week)

P.S.
I know they reccomend peanut oil, and peanut oil has great flavor. But they are really reccomending it because it has a high smoke point ie: will not break down and start to get ashy,,,, being the turkey cooks for a long period of time.
Here is a link to a list of oil smoke points. You need to be at about 350 just to be safe.
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm
To be honest with you fryer oil will be your best option... or corn oil. (Due to the great flavor)
Try some restaraunts by your house. I would be more than willing to order something for somebody if they did not have access to it. I'm sure someplace by you will feel the same way.
And if worse comes to worse. Come with me to the depot.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You'd be surprised at where oil can get. If a little spills over and gets down the side of the pot, you can get in trouble fast. I'm just saying that electric or not, don't get a false sense of security. Keep an eye on it at all times.

I realize-- remember Im one of the guys that get the call when people dont realize. Ya know- the ones on the big red and white trucks that make alot of noise and bring a vast amount of needed water to their residence. LOL

On the most part its a safe design. The oil doesnt get overheated like it does on outside fryers on the big burners like your plannin on doing, so theres no huge amount of bubbling and the oil doesnt overflow over the sides.

The only way I see you even dripping any oil to the parts it shouldnt is as you pull the bird out if its dripping off the basket the birds in, even then itll only be a few drops.

I debate everyday getting one. Guess Im gonna have to give in if ZANY has good results.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: