• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
What are some of the real costs of keeping one of those boats afloat during the boating season?

It aint cheap...and varies greatly from boat to boat and the way you use it. A trailered boat is usually smaller and much less costly assuming you dont need to buy a truck to tow it.

But here's a rough guide for a larger 25-40' cruiser type:

First of all the there's the cost of the boat itself. Assume anywhere from $30-800K for the size mentioned above depending on year, manufacturer and options. Then there's the cost of docking in the summer $70-$100/ft and of course the winter $30-$45/ft dry storage. Winterization of the boat varies depending on the number of systems on the boat (A/C, shower pumps, # engines, generator) but is about $65/ft (very roughly - mine was $2K but I have all the extras on my 31 footer). Breaking it out for the summer is similar so after bottom paint, waxing, tune-up and zincs you are talking another $65/ft (again $2K in my case). Now all that is left is fuel, food, beer^2 and docking fees (if you visit places that charge for a slip)...$500-$1000 per weekend (good thing we only have about 10-12 good weekends to boat in the NE.

All of the above assumes no extra work/repairs are needed on the boat but even on a new boat stuff happens that is not warranteed but that's a another story.

Boating is not a hobby. It's a way of life.

Jeff

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What are some of the real costs of keeping one of those boats afloat during the boating season?

Then again..there are more inexpensive boats to be had and ways to keep them...
I bought my used..so no immediate depreciation! 21' Mark Twain cabin cruiser. (24 rigged..), can sleep 4 but 2 is much nicer :)
I keep mine in my driveway over the winter = free (on blocks so I don't have to store an ugly trailer year round) though I do pay $120 fee for hauling the boat in & out of the water each Spring & Fall. Since it's here, all the maintenance work ..bottom paint, outdrive overhaul, waxing, tune up & zincs..runs me maybe $300 per season. Nice to have mechanics in the family!!
Also handy to live in a boating community where there are lots of slips available in neighbors backyards. My slip runs me $500 for the season..with no limitation on having the boat out of the water by a certain date... and I'm right off Reynolds Channel.
Half the time I go out, I stay local..10 minute ride, drop anchor and poof..nice & comfy, less gas used (argh this season...) and I can get a lot of use out of her :)

While new boats are sleek & pretty, the older ones can be much more reasonable (cost wise) to own and you can get just as much pleasure out of them..they don't call them 'pleasure craft' for nothing!!
Mine has a full head (manual..so nothing to break or have to wait on getting repaired like so many of my friends boats..), a galley, a bbq that gets a lot of action every season. I can happily live without a microwave, and if you ever catch me watching TV while on a boat..JUST SHOOT ME!

Pics are on my other computer..will get a couple up later on today.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
mY reaL worLd costs:

dock fees/season: $75/foot = $2,100
gas: $80/day for less than 15 miLes of boating
transport to-from PA: $1,600
winterization: $1,600
service/misc: $300-$1,000
insurance: $800
sea-tow: $149

boat cost: don't ask

Misc purChases...

gps: $1,000
radar:
$1,500
dinghy: $900
swimplatform: $1,800
line, fenders, anchor: $500

...and the list goes on and on :happysad:

on a serious note: if you are considering purchasing a boat or a watercraft, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... take a boating safety course. there are loTs of stoopid people out tHer who just drink and think they can steer a craft without ANY knowledge of the 'road rules'...

I have taken the captain's courSe and a safety cLass. i dont want anyone hurt on my boat. liFe is a life and boating should be taKen very seriously.

BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand :)

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Great!!!!! I can see it now...

I can't wait to see you guys both go out together...:lol2:

beaChed

beached.jpg

boat_oops2.jpg

:D

don.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am in for about $5,000.00 so far this season and I don't launch for a few weeks. I am on the north shore so my marina charges $135.00 a foot for the summer and half of that for the winter.
I just had my two props re conditioned. I mailed them to Kansas because it was much cheaper. I saved $300.00
It is expensive and I have had a boat for almost 40 years, I am also a lisenced Capt. I could not live without a boat and have never spent a weekend in the summer on dry land if it was not raining. I would not think of going to a restaurant by car either. City Island, New Rochelle, Glen Cove are full of restaurants. Due to the price of gas I don't take many long rides around Manhattan or to Connecticut much anymore but we do tie up every night like this.
I don't know how else to live.
CopyofBoatwithLou014.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The cheapest one, so it wouldn't be the 54 footer or the 44 footer or even the 38 footer so I am embarassed to say it is the 24 footer. It is for sale and I can't go larger unless I sell it. With the gas prices you can't give away boats which is what I may have to do to upgrade.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Mine goes that fast but I have to double what it says on the speedometer. LOL
I like it better when it is doing what it does best. Sitting at anchor tied up to 14 other boats loaded with food and drinks starting at the sunset on friday and staying for the weekend.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: