• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Sounds like someone needs to go root for his Devils or Islanders. Oh wait, they are playing golf for the past two months!!! :idea:

I was going to leave this thread alone, but since my team was brought into the convo... Rangers can always execute plan B and have Kreider take out Quick like Price. Oh wait, he tried that tonight... :lol2:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
I was going to leave this thread alone, but since my team was brought into the convo... Rangers can always execute plan B and have Kreider take out Quick like Price. Oh wait, he tried that tonight... :lol2:

Obviously an intentional infraction. Hence the goalie interference call. Oh wait, there was no call!! :idea:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Kreider was called for an interference when he pushed doughty into Quick. That guy is going to get destroyed next season by every team the rangers played in playoffs..., retribution is waiting for him!!!

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how the haters come out only when the Rangers are down 0-3. This I know, only two teams are still playing hockey in June. Now if you are a hockey fan and live in the North East you should be rooting for the Rangers. Why? Because this over-inflated claim that the West is far superior should have all East fans rooting for the Rangers. Now the Rangers will just have to go out and make History and win 4 straight!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
I love how the haters come out only when the Rangers are down 0-3. This I know, only two teams are still playing hockey in June. ............ Now the Rangers will just have to go out and make History and win 4 straight!

The haters ain't worth responding to. They're no better than site trolls :inlove:

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
You're right, Russ. You didnt deserve that. In 2012, you were the only cordial one in our ECF rivalry thread. I apologize.

Do you Rangers fans still see Tort's system in your defensemen? The "I'll sacrifice my face to block pucks" system. Doubt that's AV's method as the Sedin brothers couldn't adopt that level of defense under Torts.

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Widdy, Not sure I understand your point. Are you saying Tortorella's system is better or worse? I believe his time has past and the defensive style of play is as gone as the old neutral zone trap. I think Tortorella was good in his day, but he hasn't kept up with the current style of play. I will be surprised if he lands another head coaching job after his Vancouver gig. My opinion is AV's players will continue to play fast paced hockey and will have success in his system. I really think a player like Chris Kreider will get better under AV while he was almost ruined by Tortorella.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
The west is better, and has been for a long time! The only team in the east that can hang with this LA Team or Chicago is Boston (but they play poorly against Montreal, for some reason).
Someone saying how the west isn't better is a prime example of how biased the Ranger fans are (and all fans in general).

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
You're right, Russ. You didnt deserve that. In 2012, you were the only cordial one in our ECF rivalry thread. I apologize.

Do you Rangers fans still see Tort's system in your defensemen? The "I'll sacrifice my face to block pucks" system. Doubt that's AV's method as the Sedin brothers couldn't adopt that level of defense under Torts.

Thanks Steve. I am truly a NY fan. I do root for the other NY teams in the playoffs if my team is eliminated. During the regular season I am exclusively rooting for my team though ;)

As for the current players who played for Tort's and now for AV, I absolutely see the Tort system incorporated. Certainly not exclusively, but moments of the past regime do emerge. The combination of the two systems has been a benefit IMO.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Thanks Steve. I am truly a NY fan. I do root for the other NY teams in the playoffs if my team is eliminated. During the regular season I am exclusively rooting for my team though ;)

As for the current players who played for Tort's and now for AV, I absolutely see the Tort system incorporated. Certainly not exclusively, but moments of the past regime do emerge. The combination of the two systems has been a benefit IMO.

I'm not a fan of any of the 3 NY teams :happysad: I will cheer for the Isles when situation calls for it -- enemy of my enemy.

I'm just glad I don't have to secretly like Callahan anymore :p

Watching Girardi (I think it was him) doing a faceplant at the crease to keep the puck out, reminded me of Tort's system so much. I like Torts, probably not if he's coaching a team I'm a fan of due to his media antics.

@JDino, not saying one is better than the other. Was just curious...

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The west is better, and has been for a long time! The only team in the east that can hang with this LA Team or Chicago is Boston (but they play poorly against Montreal, for some reason).
Someone saying how the west isn't better is a prime example of how biased the Ranger fans are (and all fans in general).

As a longtime hockey fan my point is the thought that the west is far superior is garbage. Look at the last 10 cups 5 east 5 west. So I don't think they are superior. We will never know but I think the way they were playing the Rangers would have knocked off the Bruins. But they didn't have to the Canadians did. So if you want to call me bias that's fine but unless you have watched Gordie Howe and Rod Gilbert and Vic Hadfield play live in person you probably haven't watched as much hockey as I have.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
As a longtime hockey fan my point is the thought that the west is far superior is garbage. Look at the last 10 cups 5 east 5 west. So I don't think they are superior. We will never know but I think the way they were playing the Rangers would have knocked off the Bruins. But they didn't have to the Canadians did. So if you want to call me bias that's fine but unless you have watched Gordie Howe and Rod Gilbert and Vic Hadfield play live in person you probably haven't watched as much hockey as I have.

As a fan of the sport for only 4 years, next season will start the season as a first time season ticket holder. What does East vs. West have a bearing on? Besides breaking out new measuring tape on online forums as far as I know.

Since we're on the topic of East vs. West. Thoughts on Bettman's re-alignment of both conferences and the East having 2 more teams. I'm no Math major, but that tells me lopsided chances of getting into playoff berth. Bettman's rationale is he's creating room for expansion teams in the West. But when? Until then the East have to to contend among 2 extra teams? Couldn't he have drawn the East/West line slightly over to the right for either Detroit or Columbus?

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Widdy, glad to have another fan to the sport. Congratulations on your season tickets. You are very correct the east west means very little. I guess it's like pride in your conference. Anyway it would have been very easy for the NHL to keep Detroit in the west (they used to be) and therefore even number of teams east and west. No reason that I see except like u say they want to expand in the west. I have heard Vegas and maybe Kansas city ( there was a team in KC way back in the day). Also Seattle. Western Canada also possible. Your guess is as good as mine as far as expansion goes. Good luck with your seats next year

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Hey Widdy, glad to have another fan to the sport. Congratulations on your season tickets. You are very correct the east west means very little. I guess it's like pride in your conference. Anyway it would have been very easy for the NHL to keep Detroit in the west (they used to be) and therefore even number of teams east and west. No reason that I see except like u say they want to expand in the west. I have heard Vegas and maybe Kansas city ( there was a team in KC way back in the day). Also Seattle. Western Canada also possible. Your guess is as good as mine as far as expansion goes. Good luck with your seats next year

Thanks and thanks! Vegas I heard as well... perhaps Quebec City can get their Nordiques back.

Yep! KC Scouts, then moved to Colorado to be Colorado Rockies (pre-baseball) and now, my NJ Devils :D :sgrin:

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know a lot for a newbie. I remember when the Rockies became the devils. And the Rockies "paid off" the rangers by giving up Barry Beck to the Rangers.
I was at the first ever hockey game at the Brendan Byrne Arena. It was actually the Rangers and the Flyers. If I remember correct that was before the first devils season.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
You know a lot for a newbie. I remember when the Rockies became the devils. And the Rockies "paid off" the rangers by giving up Barry Beck to the Rangers.
I was at the first ever hockey game at the Brendan Byrne Arena. It was actually the Rangers and the Flyers. If I remember correct that was before the first devils season.

Internet age, mass info transplant if willing. I'm over at http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/ every day learning from fans of other 29 teams. Tuesday is Tenderfoot Tuesday (today's edition http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/27smmf/tenderfoot_tuesday_ask_rhockey_anything_june_10/), where any hockey noob can ask any noob question, and won't be ridiculed and will usually receive a helpful/reasonable answer.

1981, wow. Watching footage of old games, I'm envious I didn't follow the sport then. Guess that's when the saying "I went to watch a fight and a hockey game broke out!" came about? :lol2:

Thanks for sharing the article! Very insightful... imagine if Rangers really made Brendan Byrne their home rink? Things would be so different for me right now haha...

In spirit of this thread, g'luck in game 4!

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
While I havent watched as much hockey as you (I was born in 1980), I have played with several NHL players and even more D1/KHL/various Euro league players and even a D1 coach. Ive watched a ton of hockey and spoken with several NHL players about hockey at length.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: