• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":265sm0ci said:
Matt_":265sm0ci said:
The larger shrimp is preggo by the way!

You didn't. 8O

The little guy did! :lol: I was worried they were fighting because they would stay on opposite sides of their little container whenever I looked in. But, like my dad explained to me when I was 7, "they were fighting in a happy way".

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:lol:

Any pictures yet of your pair? :wink:

The shrimp. I'm talking about the shrimp.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heated an airline with a hair dryer and bent it to conform to the right shape, siliconed it down to the bottom of the tank and ran it down the back. I'll bubble air in at night.

I also chopped up the Kydex a bit in order to create an overflow slot.

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,069

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been pumping air into my 15gal a few hours a nite the last week or so and have seen a ph jump to about 8.2-3 from my usual 7.7-8 reading at nite and early morn.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
martin1042":20yoitp4 said:
Ive been pumping air into my 15gal a few hours a nite the last week or so and have seen a ph jump to about 8.2-3 from my usual 7.7-8 reading at nite and early morn.

Yeah. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build Matt. I have been eyeing those tanks for a while to do 'something' with one.

They have a glass lid with the top? Otherwise I could see salt creep and spash from the air bubbles being a issue over time.

I'd like to do something similar but for one of those B+W starship trooper crabs (forget the name but I think they are commensal on many larger urchins)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goldstein":1f9wt1gq said:
Very nice build Matt. I have been eyeing those tanks for a while to do 'something' with one.

They have a glass lid with the top? Otherwise I could see salt creep and spash from the air bubbles being a issue over time.

I'd like to do something similar but for one of those B+W starship trooper crabs (forget the name but I think they are commensal on many larger urchins)

Thanks! It comes with the wooden frame, not the glass lid. I scored, cut, and siliconed the glass to the wood myself. Only cost around $15 all told and took about 30 minutes.

Even with the lid I think there will be salt creep issues if I use air. I plan on using 2 little powerheads on timers to get an alternating gyre of flow in the tank without using an airstone, but an airstone may end up working out okay too. I'll update when I get to that point.

I think the shrimp you are talking about are Gnathophyllium sp. aka bumblebee shrimp. They are sort of commensal on Diadema urchins but the relationship doesn't seem like it is obligate. I've seen many wild photos of them just hanging out near an urchin or in a sponge or something. In any case, they will do just fine at home without an urchin.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the plan for the 2 pumps. There is enough space for them both to fit and protrude through the kydex. I had to DIY 2 nozzles to get a 90 degree turn on the output. Each one will be on for 4 (or 6?) hours at a time, with perhaps a 15 minute overlap where both are on. The idea is to get a gyre (of sorts) going in the tank that will alternate direction.

Attachments

• Gyres.JPG
    Gyres.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 695
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another pic. These are the Azoo powerhead nozzles, adapted to spray at a 90 degree angle. I siliconed a piece of black kydex to the end (I used a hole punch to make the circle) to make an end cap. Then drilled and dremeled a small hole on the side of the cylinder.

Attachments

• nozzles.jpg
    nozzles.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 664
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting there...

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 624
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 619
  • photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 619
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is looking a lot smarter than I thought it might. Good work Matt.

Still feeling bereft of shrimp picts though. :sob:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":3d7gyuzy said:
Wow, this is looking a lot smarter than I thought it might. Good work Matt.

Still feeling bereft of shrimp picts though. :sob:

Ah, thanks Tom. Coming from someone with such an eye for the aesthetic I'll take that as quite the compliment!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eye for the aesthetic and a great admiration for anyone who can do DIY and make it look good. Something I suck at royally.

pslee

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Matt. Nice build! How are you gonna control the two pumps? Timers? What other critters are gonna be in this tank?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pslee":13fia0s5 said:
Hey Matt. Nice build! How are you gonna control the two pumps? Timers? What other critters are gonna be in this tank?

Hey Pat, just plain old digital timers for the pumps, one for the air pump, and another for the lights. It will all be hidden in the stand. If we have some time someday bug me to show you the LED light that Tosh is building for me.

Critters will be a 3" Palau green Nephthea colony, a 10-15 polyp Acan colony, and maybe a nice small Echinophyllia if I can find exactly the right color/size. I may do a fish, but I want to wait at least 6 months before that happens. Pleurosicya or Bryaninops sp. if I can ever find one, or an Eviota as a fallback. In addition I want to do some other neat tiny shrimp like Urocaridella or Gnathophyllium. I'll need to be extremely careful though as nothing can stress the bongos. :D

Nice avatar! :P

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: