• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

That guy has a serious problem. How can someone do that to a little girl? :x

Your tank should be able to handle a small fish now. You'll probably get a cycle, but thats a strong fish, so it should be fine. Make sure you underfeed him for the first week or two. Once a day, only as much as he will eat. And try not to let any food rot in the tank.

Explain to your daughter that feeding him too much will dirty the water.

#1 way kids crash aquariums is by pouring in tons of food because "the fish looks hungry."
#2 is by pouring in a gallon of cocacola because "the fish looked thirsty." :lol:

MiniPigg

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for their support. the tank is doing well. My daughter helps with everything to do with the tank. She wants to begin her own tank soon. I am going to wait a little longer before allowing her to start her own tank.

Here are my current specs:

Temp 78
pH 8.4
Nitrate 0.25
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
sg 1.026

I modified the hood and now it has the two CoraLife 10W Minicompact 50/50 and a Aqua Rays 15W F15T8-AR-FS. With more light the corraline has been growing faster and the tank seems better. I am going to mod the hood again next month to support more light.

For livestock I know have:

1- Maroon Clownfish
6- Blue Leg'd Hermitcrabs
2- small Brittle Starfish
1- Nassarius Snail

10lbs LR w/tubeworms, etc...

1- LR w/Colony (50+) Red Buttons
1- 1.5lb LR w/ small colony Yellow Polyps
1- fragged small colony of star green polyps

Nice supply of copepods, some small snails, etc...

Life seems to be going good in the tank so far. Its been about two months since I set the tank up. Yesterday the buttons spawned. Im going to need to frag them as they have out grown the LR they are on. Water quality has been stable and we do a 10-20% water change every week.
I feed the tank some frozen plankton twice a week.

I want to add an emeral crab and a cleaner shrimp or maybe another type of shrimp... any thoughts?

Any thoughts on how to improve my tank? I will have updated photo's soon. The tank looks different then the last photo's.

Also need some feedback on what to do with another tank I have. I just aquired a 55aga tank and iron stank from a local for 40 bucks. Came with other supplies. Some I can use others we cant. But I thought about setting the tank up as another reef. Now Im not so sure I want to follow thru with that... I am thinking about trading the tank and stand for some items and/or livestock for my 10aga. Or set up another 10aga or maybe even a 12 gallon nano..... What do you think I should do?

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the cleaner shrimps. Sexy shrimp are also cool.

Have you considered getting some mushrooms? They're neat, grow well, and help you with water quality!

The 55G is the staple of tanks and is usually the cheapest for the size. You might not be able to get too much money for it. But if you decide to keep the tank, the iron stand won't be enough support for a reef. If you're able to sell/trade it, go with more stuff for your 10G! There's so much stuff to spend your money on! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi MiniPigg
Keep up the updates, and post some more pics!!! :D
So sad to hear about the LFS and your daughter... the upside is you now know not to support them. In my experience you can get much better info from 'lurking' on this site and asking questions when you are unsure.
Andy

MiniPigg

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":3fx7m23b said:
Yeah, let's see some pics!

Ok... finally bought some more batteries for my digital camera.

Attachments

• tank1a.jpg
    tank1a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2,451

MiniPigg

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes..... things have changed.

My 10g is now being converted to a refuge. All my livestock has been transfered to a 20L aga. Here are the specs as they stand for now:

10g
5lbs substrate
5lbs LR
Fist sized ball of Cheato
1 Mermaid Fan
Caulerpa
other macro algaes and some sponges

20L aga
27lbs LR
20lbs Agaronite LS
2 Pajama Cardinals
1 Maroon clown
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Bicolor Blenny
Cleanup crew with some snails and blue legged hermits

Sorry for being so short ... wife is calling me.... I will correct the lists and throw in some photo's to show the new set up and how I plan to hook the refuge up to the main tank.

MiniPigg

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my specs:

Main Dislpay NanoReef:
20aga Long
50lbs LR
20lbs LS argonite
1 large deco clam
1 small Emerald Crab
6 blue legged hermits
2 red legged hermits
2 Cerith Snails
3 Nassariuis Snails
2 Large Nassariuis Snails
1 Astrea Snails
2 Pajama Cardinalfish
1 Maroon Clownfish
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Shaving Brush
5 Mermaid Fans
1 Botryocladia Sp.
Some Zoa's, Star Polyps, featherduster, etc.....

Display Refugium:
10aga
20lbs LR
1inch of substrate
Red Sea Berlin Airlift Skimmer
50W heater
Cheatomorphia (softball sized)
Cheatomorphia (fist sized)
Caulerpa racemosa
Caulerpa mexicana
Caulerpa serrulata
A number of small pineapple sponges
3 blue legged hermits
A few snails
1 Mermaid Fan

20L as my main nanoreef and using a 10aga as the display refugium. They sit side by side and I pump water from the main display over to the nano and then it spills back into the main tank. Water Quality is very good:

Temp- 74
pH 8.4
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Amm 0.
sg 1.026

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: