• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

2.5 gallon tank

175 watt MH with mogul base and reflector

is that a bit too much light? Is there anything that would live in those conditions?

I imagine I would have evaporation and cooling problems, I am just trying to use up some stuff I have laying around

I think that would rock, it would just about GLOW like a Nuke!

A

Anonymous

I think it would be ok..just adjust the height of the MH....as for evap, well thats gonna happen in an open top regardless at a pretty fair rate...I have to top off my pico tank twice a day just to maintain salinity...
And, yeah that would rock if you had a MH over a 2.5gal..Imagine the corals you can keep in there :D

A

Anonymous

Just keep the light up high. Should be fine. Put a colony of Monti digitata in there and let it completely fill up the tank. That would be awesome.

A

Anonymous

You guys are serious???

:shock:

for real, that would work?

I had another brainstorm last night. listen to this one....

standard 2.5 gallon rectangle tank, I think its 2.5, it may be 2 or 3.

Bare bottomed

Some interesting live rock suspended from the top of the tank so that its really up high, maybe even sticking out of the water a bit

Now, here is the kicker

The 175 MH in the stand

that's right, not in the canopy, in the stand so that all that light shines up from the bottom of the tank.

All frags would have to be hung upside down from the live rock, or suspended with string or zip ties

Sound awesome?

Only problem is if the tank develops a leak I am in for a short and fire

:hehe

I might have to try that one

A

Anonymous

Get out of my brain knucklehead! :lol: I had the EXACT same idea for the build off!!! But I don't think I want to start another nano. Too much $$$. Definite creativity points!!! I was talking to Wandell about it, and the issue he raised is that you have to find a way to keep the bottom clean of detritus buildup. If it's corals only, you could drill the bottom, so detritus drops into a sump, or something. That's what I was blueprinting. I wonder if heat is more of an issue too, especially with MH, since the heat will be rising up around the whole tank. I dunno... It would be pretty sweet to see some SPS growing DOWN! 8)

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't have believed you if I hadn't talked to you on the phone about it :D :D Very original concept guys...kind of like Darwin and "that other guy" coming up with The Theory at about the same time. Apex, in case you're wondering you're "the other guy" in this scenario ;) :lol:

You know what else would be pretty sweet? Put a mirror on the top of the tank facing down, with the light underneath the tank. You would want this whole tank to be elevated pretty high so you'd be looking up into it, not bending over to look in. Epoxy rocks to the side walls, and just blow a powerhead at the bottom. You'd get a lot of algae growing on there too.

FWIW, I don't think a 175 W MH is too much for a 2.5, or even a 1 gallon if you're doing SPS. PC is great but unless you get really close to the bulbs the intensity is just not the same.

A

Anonymous

Damnit! I don't want to be "the other guy"!!! Come on, Matt. We talked on Monday, and knucklehead posted Thursday! :D Plus, I have an invention disclosure form already pending with the US Patent Office entitled "Marine Ecosystems with Inverted Illumination as Means to 'Blow Your Mind'". :lol:

Seriously though, build it Knucklehead! I want to see if it can be done...

A

Anonymous

LordNikon":79g6iw2k said:
ahh the drugs you guys do :wink: :lol:

i've never thought of reverse lighting a tank that way even when i WAS on drugz :P

A

Anonymous

given that most smaller creatures are also gravity oriented -there may be a conflict caused between the natural desire of the inverts to grow oriented 'up', while being lit from 'down' (?)

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":2tfnrq3a said:
given that most smaller creatures are also gravity oriented -there may be a conflict caused between the natural desire of the inverts to grow oriented 'up', while being lit from 'down' (?)

So then they'll grow SIDEWAYS!!!! 8)

Right? :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":1ihbgpn4 said:

Hmm, I'm not aware of any coral that has this ability...got any more info on this vitz? It's an interesting point.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1hd2cyaf said:
vitz":1hd2cyaf said:

Hmm, I'm not aware of any coral that has this ability...got any more info on this vitz? It's an interesting point.

i'm making a leap of logic, based on what i know about plants, and how they orient themselves to 'up' while still underground.

from what i remember there was some indication from the show i saw this on (prolly on discovery channel, or the like) that this 'sense' seems to also be shared by the animal kingdom, and not just at the 'higher' level of development

it would be pretty kewl to test this out, methinks :)

especially by knuck :) 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd be interested in any reference to coral gravity reception too. I doubt that any gravity sensation would override the positive phototropic effect though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, I am going to do it

It will take a while as I really don't have the funds right now for it, but here is what I am thinking

1. A square tank holding 1-2 gallons, built by yours truly, it will be my first tank I have ever built.
2. 175 watt metal halide placed BELOW the tank (you know where I got that light right vitz???)
3. Plenty of flow. I will probably put the return at the top and the drain in the bottom of one side. That way the water does the great circle around the tank and sweeps the debris into the drains.
3. An open top
4. Skimmer will have to either be a cheapy or homemade cause there is no way I am buying another

I think this will be the coolest tank ever!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":38i3a7ii said:

It will take a while as I really don't have the funds right now for it, but here is what I am thinking

1. A square tank holding 1-2 gallons, built by yours truly, it will be my first tank I have ever built.
2. 175 watt metal halide placed BELOW the tank (you know where I got that light right vitz???)3. Plenty of flow. I will probably put the return at the top and the drain in the bottom of one side. That way the water does the great circle around the tank and sweeps the debris into the drains.
3. An open top
4. Skimmer will have to either be a cheapy or homemade cause there is no way I am buying another

heh :wink:

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":2jzlzay2 said:
Matt_Wandell":2jzlzay2 said:
vitz":2jzlzay2 said:

i'm making a leap of logic, based on what i know about plants, and how they orient themselves to 'up' while still underground.

from what i remember there was some indication from the show i saw this on (prolly on discovery channel, or the like) that this 'sense' seems to also be shared by the animal kingdom, and not just at the 'higher' level of development

it would be pretty kewl to test this out, methinks :)

especially by knuck :) 8)

Mmm-Geotropism or something like that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":19brfyh9 said:

2. 175 watt metal halide placed BELOW the tank (you know where I got that light right vitz???)
3. Plenty of flow. I will probably put the return at the top and the drain in the bottom of one side. That way the water does the great circle around the tank and sweeps the debris into the drains.
3. An open top

I don't think you need a skimmer on a tank that small; just do water changes and don't add any fish...It's only 2 gallons!

Also, since you're minimizing the stuff above the tank, why not just have a closed loop plumbed through the bottom? That is, have your drain and return coming through the bottom of the tank, and have no sump. It would be infinitely simpler and aesthetically pleasing IMO...just my 2 cents. The only problem is not creating shadows from all the plumbing that would be down there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":1t1elpy6 said:
knucklehead":1t1elpy6 said:

3. An open top

what are you saying?

:lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: