• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Okay, here are two pics of the test I ran tonight

I don't know how big this tank is, it looks like a 2.5 gallon to me, I can easily slide it into a 5 gallon bucket.

I did a couple of setups one with the light on top and one on bottom.

After 5 minutes of sitting like that the bottom of the tank was hot! so there are some definite heat issues to work out.

I agree about the closed loop idea, that would probably be the best way to get the flow needed without having to have a whole sump thing.

I was thinking the skimmer would be needed, but once again you are right, no fish in there no need for a skimmer really

also, I probably will need a heater for at night just to keep the temp even, don't know how I will work that out.

Anyway, here are the pics, it was so freakin bright that I had trouble getting pics that were any good.

Attachments

• 148_4841.JPG
    148_4841.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,853
  • 148_4842.JPG
    148_4842.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,863
A

Anonymous

woohoo! the tank is sooo bright! are there fans blowing across the light(s)? Is that a mirror on the top?

A

Anonymous

no, its just a couple of magazines

It will have to have something to contain the light on top or there will be a bright spot on the ceiling...

Is that really an acceptable amount of light for 2.5 gallons or are all of you pulling my leg?

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what I really like is the fact that you can't see the light but the tank is incredibly bright. Looks great.

I think a fan blowing out the stand will bring the heat down enough.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may make a test setup, no circulation, just the stand and the light to see what kind of temperature issues I have. I can do that without spending any money at all.

Then I will go from there

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat dissipation: Why not put in a pane of glass, about 1" from the bottom of the tank. That will absorb and radiate most of the heat from the lamp and not really need to be cleaned too often. The decrease in amount of light is meaningless in a situation like this!

I do think you are going to have issues with keeping the bottom free of algae (green or corraline), but if you keep on it, it will work out.

no fish in there no need for a skimmer really
I don't get this whole attitude... skimmers remove organic waste and while fish do produce some waste, if you quantify how much mucous is released from the equivalent mass of coral, I bet it would be close enough not to matter. That said, regular water changes will suffice as well as any skimmer would on a system this tiny.

Cool idea, and it might generate some oddball growth forms with the whole light/gravity issue. Although I think current plays a larger role.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH on a 2.5 gallon??? Hard boiled frags anyone??? HeHe A little ridicoulous.

I think I'll put a Hummer engine in a VW beatle bug today! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when you run your test you should have a pump in the tank. You'll get a fair amount of heat loss through evaporation and the stirred surface will increase that.

It looks cool! Are you going to do a mirror on top?

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newreefer":16erst43 said:
MH on a 2.5 gallon??? Hard boiled frags anyone??? HeHe A little ridicoulous.

I think I'll put a Hummer engine in a VW beatle bug today! :wink:

Lots of people have done it before-yes a little overkill IMO, but if you have it then why not? :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the corals in my tank and most "SPS tanks" that have 250 or 400W MHs are receiving a higher intensity of light than this...not boasting, just pointing out that the coral could care less how much water is surrounding it. If Bryan was putting 175W MHs over a 90 gallon there would probably be a hue and a cry about how he should add more wattage.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it's the same depth or if the coral is the same distance from the light then it doesnt matter, especially if the coral is directly under the light.

Perfect example of why watts a gallon isnt a good measurement.

However, most 90 gallons are not the same depth as 2.5 gallons. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, I am thinking about a mirror, yes. I will have to have it covered though or I will scratch it.

I am also going to have to leave access so I can clean the bottom regularly. I am thinking of running a HOT Magnum on the tank also, I have that already sitting around, might as well use it.

If there are any plans out there for a miniture skimmer that's fairly easy to make I will check them out.

Right now I am looking for materials to construct a reflector out of, I am going to need a custom one as I want all the light from that bulb entering the tank, and none going to the sides of the stand.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wade":2cnkw5b8 said:
Heat dissipation: Why not put in a pane of glass, about 1" from the bottom of the tank. That will absorb and radiate most of the heat from the lamp and not really need to be cleaned too often. The decrease in amount of light is meaningless in a situation like this!

I like that idea, I have spare glass sitting around, and I can just put a rabbit in the stand all the way around so I can slide the glass in and out.

I also need to figure out a way to cool this silly contraption without having holes in the stand that light will show though.

For that my current idea is to make the stand about 4 inches bigger than the tank so that I can have holes for ventilation that are covered by the reflector

lobo42a

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verry cleaver idea,There should be more people like you in the world that is how things become realty.I wish that I would of thaught of that,you could start a new trend here. I beleave that I am going to try it also,GREAT Idea!!!!!!!! Jerry

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO that much light is going to boil the tank regardless of how well you keep the outside cooled. As soon as something dark is added to the tank it's going to heat up from all that light energy.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy, you may in fact be right about that

in fact, I am fairly sure you are :D

But, its costing me nothing but time, I like messing about with silly ideas, and it irritates the hell out of the wife....:lol:

So, onward with the project. I just found a perfect stand for it in my basement, its already built, and just needs small modifications and a paint job to be ready to go.

My new estimate on when I will have it lit up is less than a month now :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admire the idea. I just think the implementation is a bit excessive :lol:

Have you considered a 50 watt HQI?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: