• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can't comment in the thread on the nano buildoff page, I just have to say that I really like the Floris Reef Tank's thread :) Great to see a teacher showing kids science through a nano tank.

B.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rooting for it! I'd like to hear more comments from the students though :)

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear some comments from the kids as well. That would be an excellent addition to the project for fifth graders, since they are expected to be able to write paragraphs in a cohesive fashion at that grade level. Have the students write a paragraph about what they like best about their tank, and then choose a couple of the best to post on the internet, (with parental permission of course).

Great tank, I'm rooting for them too!

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You beat me to post this thread..bastige! Yeah, its really cool for the teach to be doing this...I really hope it turns out nice...

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't let you ALWAY post before me LN ;) You already have the WAY cooler signature battle :(

I am also hoping to see some more comments from the kids, it would be interesting to see what they are learning.

B.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
garagebrian":3rrjinqc said:
You already have the WAY cooler signature battle

*ahem* Check out my sig battle...MUCH better.

Peace,

Chip ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
garagebrian":3jekczt0 said:
Never knew there was such a thing as signature envy, or boasting for that matter Chip ;)

You don't visit the Sump much, do you? ;)

Peace,

Chip

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm only in the sump to trim the Cheato, I have a small cyano problem in the sump that I'm trying to ignore :)

B.

PS. I do know the Sump...I just avoid otherwise I'll COMPLETELY waste every day reading threads :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chip, your "Luke" has the wrong color Light saber for that episode (psst it was green :wink: )

and mine does flips

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
garagebrian":56jtujhz said:
...I just avoid otherwise I'll COMPLETELY waste every day reading threads
Yeah the sump is like heroin...one hit and your hooked :wink:

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, thanks for the cheering section (I can't wait to see the last of the Star Wars movies myself...). I am trying to get the kids to post more on their own, but during the day we don't always have time. I'm working on it, though. We have daily updates that I punch in at the end of the day, and I've been riding the kids to write complete sentences and other things, but they're not so excited about what's in there as yet (although the joy at seeing aiptasia is amazing!). That said, we'll be putting in some fish and corals over the next week or two, so that should pique some interest. Also, I unfortunately only have five minutes here and there to teach about the tank and an occasional Monday morning. I'm at the point right now where I'm teaching a couple of kids and letting them train other kids in this and that. They're getting good at using the hydrometer (they'll make one next year in science) and understanding that it has to do with the mass of the water itself, and they understand about the lighting as well and how it works, but what they can't wait for is fish and a clean up crew. When that's there, I'll have them write some paragraphs and post them.

Again, thanks for the support!

Dave

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floris Reef Tank":1gj4t7pm said:
Again, thanks for the support!

Your approach to this contest warrants a prize in and of itself.

Looking forward to reading what the kids think!

Peace,

Chip :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LordNikon":3m2i9sa0 said:
Chip, your "Luke" has the wrong color Light saber for that episode (psst it was green :wink: )

Err...Luke loses his hand and Vader reveals himself as Luke's father during The Empire Strikes Back. Luke's saber was blue.

His saber wasn't green until he built the new one at the beginning of Return of the Jedi.

:D

Peace,

Chip

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Chip said on the Star Wars thing.

Floris Reef Tank, way looking forward to the kids' comments on their class tank! Keep us posted!

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jolieve":5j1rhero said:
Floris Reef Tank, way looking forward to the kids' comments on their class tank! Keep us posted!

Hey, have the kids comment on Star Wars, too.

Peace,

Chip ;) :D

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as summer vacation, I will see if any of the kids have picked up enough about the tank to take it home over the summer. One of the reasons I picked a 15 gallon tank is that I can drain it and move it without removing any of the rock or coral as I live within a few minutes of school, as do all of the students. It'll be something that I consider long and hard, and after we have our testing for the year (mid-may), I will be able to do a bit more with the kids on maintaining a reef tank and do more in depth analysis of the inhabitants themselves, perhaps even doing some experimentation with some frags to practice our Experimental Design unit.

If none of the kids is ready to take it (with parental permission of course) I will just bring it home myself so that I can keep and eye on it so that it's ready to come back in the fall. The only unfortunate thing is that the kids won't be in the classroom next year and I will have a new batch of kids, but I have spoken to our science lead teacher about the Jason Project and how we can incorporate this if it's within the scope of next year's projects. I have also spoken to the other science teacher and hopefully I can get donations together where she can also have a tank in her room.

Keep checking our thread! I'll continue to keep you posted!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: