• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your eye on the thread, I added some stuff to the tank tonight and am going to wait for the kids to find it, snap pictures, and then write about it. It'll also go well with our next unit in language arts on poetry, we'll see if someone can write something nice about our tank...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make you aware...that coral banded shrimp will probably stop at nothing to eat the baby royal gramma. If it disappears you'll know why. :D

Peace,

Chip

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a golden so it's much smaller. I used to keep them together in my larger reef (a 125, obviously a big size difference). The royal gramma could probably squeeze the shrimp into it's mouth if it really really tried. It's body is about an inch long, and since they're so delicate in appearance, even the length is deceiving. I don't think it'll have a chance to even touch it. Also, despite the fact that the gramma is tiny, it's still probably closer to an inch than 1/2". I will let you know if disaster strikes, however.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "shimmer" when adding fresh water is a opportunity to discuss the light refraction index of water being changed by salinity.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy":378oep41 said:
The "shimmer" when adding fresh water is a opportunity to discuss the light refraction index of water being changed by salinity
A little physics never hurt anyone :wink: heck its one of my favorite subjects..

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some student work and some pictures of new inhabitants tonight. Check out the thread! We're very colorful and we haven't even added coral yet!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks fantastic! Great job so far by you and your class.

Peace,

Chip

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the kids (although they haven't written a lot about it) are really enjoying themselves. There is a constant stream of kids asking if they can test the water and they flock to it in the morning to see if anything is new. I find them wandering back there to stare when they have free moments and it's hard for me to stop them from doing it. We sometimes read in the area where the tank is as well and I can see them trying to peel their eyes away from the tank and look at me (doesn't help I sit next to it so they can all see me).

I know that I've hooked a few, and hopefully they'll learn a lot about it and start up their own tanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the coolest school project, I wish we had a teach like you back when I was in school.

A long time ago :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[slightly edited]
knucklehead":1pee2nna said:
That is the coolest school project, I wish we had a teacher like that at my school.
[/slightly edited]

Ha ha, my son said that to a girl this past weekend!!! Until he realized that she doesn't get snow days and he does. 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why but one of the wholesalers I go to always keeps their royal grammas in cubicles with CBS. Cubicle after cubicle of one royal gramma paired with one CBS. It's an odd sight. They seem to work.

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem with a banded coral shrimp and any of my fish. Only with other banded coral shrimp that happened to be the same gender... then it was legless city here we come! Anyway, posted some more shots by one of the kids today if you want to take a look. They take some great macro shots!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: