• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hmmm..

Any possibility you can improvise one to fit in the tank somehow? .. Like whats shown on this page: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

Also, not that I'm claiming to be any sort of expert at all, (or that I'm refuting his statement about what species of pod that is) but ahhh.... - well, I'd .. ahhh, take Dr. Ron's advice with "a grain of salt" if you know what I mean... ;)

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try and do that type of trap. Also, I am keeping a watchful eye on the tank and the isopods. I would like to find something that will eat them, so I'm looking into different types of fish that might. In any case, I'm hoping that it doesn't hurt anything as they're crawling around my tank at home like mad!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see those pods crawling around the tank all the time then I agree with Dr. Ron that they are not Cirolanid. A Cirolanid will hide all day and then sit & wait for a fish to swim over it IMO.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just say the eyes in your latest post. Cirolanids have huge eyes. I though yours had big eyes until you posted the pic of the top. Sorry for the misdiagnosis.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that calcification needs Carbonate (ALK) more than it needs Calcium.

Your levels are fine but don't let Calcium get too out of balance with ALK. :)

Adding only part A of B-Ionic will raise ALK without affecting Calcium. That's a good thing to do when you have average ALK and High Calcium to get the levels balanced.

Great job BTW!

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much/long would you suggest I do this for? I don't add B-Ionic every day, it is more or less when one of my students remembers as they often forget to write it down and when they don't, I don't add any since I might not know if I am adding too much. Therefore, when I add it, should I add in a double dose of part A, skip part B, or go somewhere in between?

I know that I'm at the lower end of average for alk, so what should I shoot for? I have heard that 7-11dKH is OK, but what's the "ideal" level to shoot for?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get different opinions on Ideal.

In my opinion the smaller the tank the higher the maintained level should be. I believe this because ALK can be depleted fairly quickly by corals, coraline, snails, etc. I don't see Calcium being as important as other hobbiests, I just think it should be balanced with Alkalinity. The higher ALK in a small system should also slightly decrease PH swings from night to daytime.

To finally answer your question, with a Calcium level of 460ppm I think ALK of 10dKH or about 175ppm is a good level to shoot for. I wouldn't do a double of part A. I also believe that levels should be modified gradually so I would do 1.25 part A and 1.0 part B. Just slightly more so that levels will be balanced over the course of a couple/few weeks. You're fine so there's no hurry.

It's quite useful to get other opinions too just so you can weigh the different reasonings and apply what you believe is best for your system. This could be an excellent debate among the students after a fact finding mission.

Personally, I'm keeping my levels lower just because it's easier to maintain. In my Display/Lagoon (>1000 gallons) I maintain 400ppm calcium and an ALK of about 7dKH.

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floris Reef Tank":r892n8hj said:
That's good. They are out all of the time, day and night.

Those pictures definitely don't look like cirolanids and their behavior doesn't sound like cirolanids. As soon as I turn on my lights or shine a very bright flashlight at my c-pods, they dash for the sand or rock to hide.

I've been battling cirolanids (also ID'd by Dr Ron) since I setup my tank Jan 28 this year. Here is the best pic I could get. You'll notice the eyes are considerably bigger and the body shape is more streamlined than the pod you have.

Brian - Also known as the Cirolanid Isopod hunter...slightly less popular than the crocodile hunter :D

Attachments

• myisopod.JPG
    myisopod.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 2,614
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I really blew that ID all to pieces.

Here's one of mine:

Attachments

• bad_pod.jpg
    bad_pod.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 2,606

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had looked over your threads at the pictures, and the eyes really make it stand out. I'll keep my eye out, however, to see if there is anyone in there like a cirolanid isopod. The problem with hunting them is that I'm not here at night....

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more pictures taken by one of my students. He even found some zooanthids (I think?) that I hadn't seen before and managed to get a good shot of them.

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted some new photographs. Some are simply updates on things in the tank that have been taken before, but there are some really neat photos taken with my digital microscope. Check them out!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures.

I'm thinking that the "slivers" are actually bacteria. Is that possible given the scale?

The "stuff" leaking out of the Aiptasia could be symbiotic zooxanthellae (Dinoflagellates).

Floris Reef Tank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more pictures today. Unfortunately, some of the donations that were made suffered from RTN.

I'll try and get some photos of the planktonic shrimp and post them or perhaps pop them under the microscope.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In response to a question in the nano reef buildoff, I have seen my 6 line eat several flatworms. That said, though, I don't think every 6 line can be counted on to do the same.

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***knock, knock, knock***

Who is it?

It's me, Dave.

Dave's not here.

I know you've been really busy with the SOL's and the end of the year Dave. I'm looking forward to some updates when you get a chance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: