• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Oh, no problem. I haven't gotten to gobies yet but I'd be glad to share my experience.

Green clown gobies are a Gobiodon sp., and there's more than one species that we commonly call "Green Clown". G. atriangulatus and G. histrio are two, and I think there's one more IIRC. It's sort of irrelevant, because they all grow to the same size and have the same temperament. All live within stony branching SPS corals in the wild.

Max size is like 1.5" IIRC (google should have this) but I wouldn't put them in a tank smaller than 4-5 gallons. They are actually quite active and swim about a bit. They readily accept flake food, mysis, etc. Feed it at least daily. Harmless to soft corals, clams, etc. but may pester very small shrimp (like anemone or sexy shrimp) if you add them afterwards. Will clean a spot of tissue off an SPS skeleton for an egg laying site but it quickly heals. Unless you find a pair getting along together, I wouldn't attempt any two individuals of Gobiodon in the same tank. Even though they're small and don't bother other fish, they are extremely territorial with members of the same genus. All in all a very hardy and great fish for a nano.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: